Friday, November 19, 2021

Friday Smiles 448: Wichita History Museum continued

 

It's Friday so I'm joining Friday Smiles which is hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time).   Let's visit her and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.

These are the last of the postcards from the museum.  This stereograph on the left is a way to view postcards.  When you look through the lenses, the two photos appear to be a single 3D photograph or postcard.
 
If you look closely in the top shelf in my barrister's cabinet, you see I have two of these stereographs.  I used to have about 100 cards, but a "friend" stole them from me, so now I only have a few.



Then there's the local postcards that show the architecture of my city.  Finally, a way to display postcards in the old days.

The final display in this room is one that sets this museum apart from others.

They provide many displays (like the old typewriter you saw several weeks ago before it broke beyond repair) in which you are allowed to hold, touch, and examine many buffalo artifacts up close.

I'm afraid I didn't get many photos of these artifacts.

I was more interested in learning abut the various pieces in the display and forgot to get more photos.  At least you can see the name of the painting.

"Buffalo Chase with Bows and Lances," by George Catlin.

We have made it through the first room.  Next week we will go to the second floor.

Here are a few more signs from the brilliant mind of Indian Hills Community Center's brilliant creator, Vince Rozmiarek.
 



 



And this final one will put you in the holiday spirit.

Now let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the lovely ladies who join her for Friday Smiles.  Thanks again for visiting and spending a bit of time with Bleubeard and me this Friday. 

This is also Day 19 of AEDM, hosted by the talented Leah Piken Kolidas, where I joined a link up party and showed photos I took of a museum in my hometown.

 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Someone stole your cards?!
Love that you can touch the artifacts.

T-Rex is my fav :-) Have a happy Friday!

Elephant's Child said...

Hiss and spit at that erstwhile friend.
Love the funnies - thank you.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely photos. I had a friend who stole my jewelry, she's not a friend any more. I like the chains on my mood spring ...funny! Happy friday, hugs, Valerie

mamapez5 said...

That wasn't much of a friend if they stole your cards! The Buffalo display was interesting and how nice to be able to handle the exhibits.
Plenty of smiles at the signs again.
have a good week. Kate x

Annie said...

Friends don’t steal from you! Love your funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

NatureFootstep said...

many old things are very beautful and well crafted. :)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

My dear friend, if your body says eat and sleep them do it. Having said that I don't always take notice of myself either and then usually regret it. I'm wondering if you are still friends with this person. I love the funnies but have no idea how he keeps it up. I am interested to find out more about the Indian Hills Community Center too. Take care and I'm giving you permission sweetie to do whatever you feel like. Big hugs, Angela xXx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Can you even begin to imagine how skillful and courageous you had to be to hunt buffalo while bareback on a horse, all the while holding on with only your needs while you released your arrow. I think I would have become a vegetarian very quickly!

kathyinozarks said...

Hi enjoyed the museum visit and I loved those signs from Indian Hills-Happy Friday

Empire of the Cat said...

Interesting trip to the museum Elizabeth, thank you. Love the painting with the buffalo. The How Dairy made me laugh lol Happy AEDM! Elle/EOTC xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fun museum visit and the cards are fab! So sorry to hear about your cards being stolen, no one especially when they are friends should do that, it's so disappointing. The funnies made me smile, thanks for sharing 😀. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

That’s horrible that your “friend” stole those cabinet cards. I’ve seen those before and they are really interesting to look at. That museum is interesting and I am glad you are still sharing photos. I especially love the really old artifacts Hope you have a nice start to your weekend. Hugs-erika

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth

I'm not blogging at the moment, and leaving few, if any comments, but I
could not let the weekend pass without saying how much I appreciate the
comment you left today about Tuna. "manee thanx two ewe R friend" as they say here in TT, and tuna says to tell you ♥♥♥ dog sends love ♥♥♥

be blessed ~~~ Laura

craftytrog said...

I love those old postcards Elizabeth! I can't believe a 'friend' pinched your collection. Some friend!
Happy Friday, and thanks for the smiles.
Alison

CJ Kennedy said...

The stereopticon is cool. I've only every seen one in movies. The only way I ever came close is having a ViewMaster. What a shame the cards were taken from you. Enjoy the weekend!

Jeanie said...

I used to have a stereograph and have no idea where it landed. I love the cards you have and the postcards you also showed. I love seeing city architecture cards, especially from back in the day.

Lisca said...

I'm still recovering from all the laughing at those funnies!
Thanks for the museum visit. I love the postcards of course. I have a few of those vintage ones. They are very special.
Yes, I've seen a stereograph before and have looked through one when I was a child. How awful that your 'friend' stole your cards!
I liked the buffalo exhibits too. So interesting.
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You are obviously better off without that "friend". I wonder if she has pangs of remorse from time to time? I hope so!

DVArtist said...

Yeah, you are far better off with out that person. I love the museum and the funnies.

LA Paylor said...

swirly leaves and history... love history, watch a lot of history shows.

WendyK said...

A very interesting post Elizabeth. I lent my dad's stamp collection to a friend as her dad was an avid stamp collector, I never got them back. She said I gave them to her, so I know how you feel. I have hundreds of [ostcards, used to save them when i was younger.
Hugs Wendy

Divers and Sundry said...

My husband has a stereograph and cards. What a shame you were betrayed and lost most of yours :(

I always enjoy a museum. Thanks for the tour :(

Birgit said...

The signs are so funny. I love it when someone decides to make people laugh. I love this museum showcasing what is around the area from the very old to the not so old. I can’t believe she stole these old postcards..how cruel. I’m glad you still have a few left.