Monday, October 11, 2021

Apple Picking Time

 

It's once again time to join Tracey from Hotchpotchcreations, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is My Favorite Color is October.   

It's time to pick the last of the apples this year.

Let's hope we pick them before the birds get to them.

Let's look at a few photos and I'll try to get rid of the glare.




That's when I realized I had forgotten the sentiment I had created.

 It's called Apple Picking Time, just like the title of this post.  At least I finally got rid of the glare!

Unfortunately, the only red I had was in the pink spectrum, while everything else, including the apples in the focal image were in the orange spectrum of red.

I found this adorable image in my stash.  I intentionally tore lots of paint chip samples different sizes and added brown ink to the edges.  I wanted to make the sizes as different as possible and ended up making them very much the same size.  I affixed the paint chips to the focal image and a sheet of 110 lb cardstock by sewing everything together using variegated thread.  Originally I planned to place the sentiment in the lower right, but in the end, added it in the upper left as shown.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on My favorite color is October.      

 

18 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Beautiful. The birds always get first pick of the apples (and fruit more generally) here.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page, love the soft colours of the image, nice sewing too. See you later at TsfT, hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It sure is a fabulous image, glad you found it in your stash and brought it out for us all to see. Love those stitched edge additions, those apples look very ripe and juicy. Another super display of October Elizabeth.
Creative Hugs Tracey xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A beautiful page with the sewn frame around!
At the moment I am busy with so many things and my health with the cross is not that good either, but it is slowly coming back.
I wish you a happy week, hugs, Elke

Barbara said...

Clever border layout! The separate pieces are drawn to a common look by your stitching!

My name is Erika. said...

This is a lovely page for Tracey's challenge. apple picking is the best! I love the bird. I really like the color blocked frame, and the stitching finishes it off completely. Happy Monday. Hope your week starts off great. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Pretty page. The bird gives such a pop of color. Apple picking at the orchard was an activity we looked forward to with the girlies. Now we pick apples from the grocery store.

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

The apples look 3D! Someone is a very gifted painter. I love the zigzagged edging.

Cloudia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cloudia said...

Such careful art making with such a nice result!

Divers and Sundry said...

Birds gotta eat, too, I guess, but I hope we get most of them :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is gorgeous Elizabeth!

kathyinozarks said...

I really Love this page Elizabeth

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Elizabeth! We've been picking apples on our morning walks 😊

Meggymay said...

A very beautiful page Elizabeth , I love the colours and the lovely images you used. You captured the apple picking season so well in this scene you created.
Yvonne xx

Neet said...

What a lovely picture you found for us today Elizabeth. I am afraid it is not the birds but the squirrels we have to watch for eating the fruit from the trees. Next door had a lovely Victoria plum tree at one time and lots of the fruit would fall into our garden. Sadly half of it would be eaten into by the squirrels.
I like how you used different shades of red around the picture - that helped with the pink and orange reds tremendously. Good thinking.
Hugs, Neet xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I always look forward to the new English apple season starting. We are lucky to be able to buy all kinds of old varieties too, much better than having them imported from far and wide. I love seeing this bird, he is surely protecting them. I love how you have sewn the frame - a truly lovely entry for Tracey's AJJ theme dear Elizabeth, hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

This is a lovely piece, Elizabeth. It captures all I think of with this season.

I'm sorry I'm not catching up well. Sometimes that just happens.