Thursday, June 3, 2021

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Hands

 

It's Thursday, so that means it's time to show my contribution to Rain's weekly Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Hands.  This has my name all over it, because I have created an entire altered book of Hands.  Here are a few of my favorites.  Unfortunately, I can't get them to enlarge.

These could be a mother's hand holding all these concepts. 

 

Of course, a mother might teach her children to achieve their vision. But words of encouragement aren't the only things found in this altered book. 

 There are whimsical pages,

 

holiday pages, 

 

 

and pages using vintage images and matching tissue. 

 

Hands from other cultures can be showcased, especially if they are made from polymer clay. 

 

I'm sure most people would be aware of X-rayed hands. The "real" X-rays are covering the book pages and also act as embellishments in the corners, while magazine images become the important focal elements on these two pages.

 Mail from other countries, all "hand stamped," is always welcome.

 

Sometimes we wear our hearts on our sleeves, and other times they become electric hand held (or sewn) hearts. 

 

Those who are following along in my AB class know I use gesso as a covering for AB pages as well as a glue. Here I did both! I was very lucky to find the right magazine image for the spread.

 For this two page spread, I began with some silk fabric I dyed. Next, I stamped several images, then layered hand dyed cheesecloth and hand dyed silk over the background fabric and sewed them together. After ironing the assembly into my AB, I added two tape transfers I made from magazine images.

 This is a zipper spread in my Hands AB. I had never put a zipper in a book before, so this was a real challenge. Closed, the page is made up of magazine images and various scrapbook papers.  

 

Open, the zipper reveals a hidden page. I used my handmade paper and wallpaper to hide the zipper elements and to fill in around the inside image. 

 

After I had been making this AB for awhile, I discovered sewing on paper. Both the front (or at least I'm calling this the front) 

 

and the back show how I incorporated the sewing, even though I don't have a machine that has feed dogs. 

 

I have several of these pages where I have Hands that are too small for a single page, but fit nicely in a collage format.


Finally, when I taught my Altered Book class (see my right sidebar), we created color wheels.  This is mine I created in my Hands altered book.

All art was created by me in my Hands altered book.  Bleubeard remembers those pre-Squiggles days fondly.   

Thank you beyond belief for stopping by.  I am truly grateful to you, my dear friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.  This will be my final TAD for awhile.  I simply need to spend more time in my garden and yard and less time on the computer.  Thanks for understanding.  I'll return when it get too hot to be outside.

 

20 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Love all of them.
My Brother and I were never sure our Dad is our real Father. Till he´d passed. For once this hectical man´s hands were still.
I just have to look on mine and see his. Well, mine are smaller ;-)

The last one is my favorite. A world of color and texture in our hands. Clever.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Your art with your hands is fantastic, I love them all, these ideas are impressive.
Have a good day, hugs Elke

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful show of hands today, you sure had a great variety to hand! I'm sure Bleubeard thinks back to those pre-Squiggle days when he was the only reigning prince! Have a fun day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's a beautiful thing is the hand so easily taken for granted, this is a very special book you have created Elizabeth, full of life and loves. Our greatest tool in so many shapes and sizes. You enjoy using them in your garden it's a reward to give back to yourself and invaluable to our creative souls.
Take care and stay safe Tracey xx

Gillena Cox said...

Beautiful responses to the prompt, Elizabeth

much💗love

My name is Erika. said...

Hands are cool, and I love seeing you book Elizabeth. I didn't know you when you made this before. The gesso on your hands page is one of my favorites. And cool idea to use a zipper. I have never put one in a book before either. I like the effect. Hope June is treating you well so far. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun post! I love all the iterations of hands. You deserve a hand for such and imaginative post.👏

Christine said...

Wonderful hand pieces Elizabeth

Divers and Sundry said...

So many hands, so many styles! And that zipper! I'm wondering if zippers come small enough to fit on an ATC lol

Sandra Cox said...

Oh this was a fun one. You had all kinds of diverse examples of hands.
Loved it.
Take special care.

DVArtist said...

Ohhh great job on all the hands. You are always so cleaver with the themes. Have a great day.

Susan Kane said...

Creative! Every photo is charming. The last color wheel is fun.

Mae Travels said...

Hands are overlooked when there’s a discussion of how evolution created human-ness. Without our co-evolving hands we wouldn’t have evolved brains and fire and culture. AND The hamsa is critical for averting the Evil Eye. You captured tons of ways to look at hands.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Wonderful book. I especially like the first one. :)

Olde Dame Holly said...

You have so many interesting techniques, and you are so generous to share them!

NatureFootstep said...

so many artpieces of hands. Amazing. I have one special favorite. The gesso one. Both a cool idea and beautiful :)

craftytrog said...

Fantastic hand art Elizabeth! Xx

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are my first exposure to "Altered Books". You are so creative and your hands are the best ... especially the color wheel. I'm sorry you were unable to enlarge as I found it hard to read some of the pages, but I enjoyed the art in any case ... you are always full of surprises. These are awesome ...

Andrea @ From the sol

pearshapedcrafting said...

What fabulous 'Hands' art! Love the zipper page! Hugs, Chrisx

Rain said...

Elizabeth, have a nice summer in the garden. I know how you feel about needing more time outside rather than on the computer! I love those Xray hands and the Gesso hand is lovely! :)