Saturday, May 29, 2021

Reading

 

Today I'm sharing my latest journal entry with Elle from Empire of the Cat, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  

As many of you know, her theme is Language.

And what represents language better than reading.

Reading truly IS one of life's great gifts.
 
Whether reading in your mother tongue, or a language foreign to you,

reading brings the world to you, educates you, and entertains you.

Reading will take you far in life.

As much as I advocate teaching math, science, and statistics to young people,
 
if you are unable to read the numbers or the questions, math is worthless.

Reading is one of the most important things a person can do.  Learning your A, B, Cs must come first, of course.

For this page, I started with warm watercolors I spread on a sheet of 110 lb cardstock.  When the watercolors were dry, I chose a stencil and laid it on top of the watercolors.  I chose a turquoise watercolor for the stencil because it matched the color of the letters I chose.  After the stenciled color was dry, I adhered the focal image and the letters.  The feather was on my table, so I adhered it under the "M" before the glue dried. 
 
Thank you ever so much for joining me today.  Bleubeard and I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.

 

20 thoughtful remarks:

sirkkis said...

I love your reading page. A very nice, lovely retro picture and your letter idea is great, Elizabeth.
Happy weekend, my friend xx

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Elephant's Child said...

Love your page. Reading and the love of reading is probably the very best thing my parents ever gave me.

Valerie-Jael said...

Reading is certainly a great gift. I learned to read at 3 and haven't stopped since, I seem to live from one book to the next, always new stories and adventures, faces and places. Wonderful page! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Great page. Just sent a book to my Nieces, both languages in it, German and a bit English. If you master that you master anything.
Maybe not Infinitesimalrechnung ;-)

Annie said...

I read for all the reasons you mentioned. Reading is a perfect topic for the theme of language. Yes, to learn to read, you must start at the beginning with learning your ABCs. I read every single day. There are so many ways we read...read books, read music, read body language, read between the lines, read lips..... Terrific page, Elizabeth!

My name is Erika. said...

Yes, reading is a gift. It can take you so many places you chose. This is a really beautiful page for AJJ. I can't believe May is winding down already. Have a super Saturday. Very dark and rain here.

CJ Kennedy said...

Sweet age. Would make a nice poster for the children's library or child's room. My mother would tell me when I was learning to read that books were my friends. So true.

My name is Erika. said...

In my house we say couch. But I know people that say all 3. Divan is what my older aunts always called the couch or sofa. What do you say? I am now curious.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I can only thank God for my love of reading. I would not have survived without it.

Divers and Sundry said...

That reminds me of a Mary Cassatt painting. Lovely. Reading can bring us closer, and it's such a beautiful activity for parent and child.

Neet said...

I love the colours you have used for the background - and the turquoise against that warm background looks really good. Love the picture you chose to illustrate your theme. A favourite page of mine, definitely.
I think reading is one of the best ways to get children to understand language and by reading to them when they are tiny you are laying the foundations for life with them.
Hugs, Neet xx

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful post today, the colours are gorgeous ...xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Love the colours of the background especially that turquoise, and the focal image. Reading truly is a gift that anyone can have if they want it, but they often don't want it or find it difficult. It makes me sad when people don't enjoy reading just for fun, what a gift that is. Thanks for joining me for the Language theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is such beautiful page Elizabeth! I used to tell parents of the children I taught that reading to children as well as with them is so important! Hugs, Chrisx

nwilliams6 said...

Reading is definitely a gift! Lovely picture, lovely background and I love the color of your letters. Super sweet page and post, Elizabeth. Hugz

Meggymay said...

Fantastic, a page that speaks volumes to me. Reading is something we may take for granted and should be encourages from an early age. As well as reading a good book it is the basis of learning and communicating. I worked with some children who had problems learning to read and the joy when they mastered a few words was amazing to see.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely post.
Yes, reading is certainly a great gift.
There are always books in our house :)

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I like this piece, Elizabeth. And indeed, reading is a wonderful gift.