Sunday, May 30, 2021

Monday Murals: Wichita Out of Line (Apparel)

 

It's once again time to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  

This mural was off the beaten path and I drove past it the first time since it was in an alley on the side of a building.  Even though I backed into the parking lot of the building next door, I still didn't get the entire mural in a single photo.

There are many iconic symbols 

of my city

in this portion of the mural.

Next there was homage paid to Martin Luther King Jr.

I believe these are quotes by King.

Now things got a bit fuzzy for me.  I had no idea what the butterfly represented or how it fit in the mural.  Things got even fuzzier when I saw the face.

I looked up Out of Line Apparel, and found it is, according to an internet search, "an independent streetwear brand based in Kansas City, MO" (Missouri, USA).  Imagine my surprise when I saw the same Wichita logo on a tote bag that is on the mural.  The face you see above is also on one of their shirts.  

The same is true of the skeleton.  It appears the streetwear (tees, sweatshirts, hoodies, knitted hats) are created to appeal to young people, mostly teens, some Goth.

I had to get one more look at this mural that apparently appears on teen streetwear

and the artist who created this mural which is found on the side of a building in the 1700 block of Harry in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Bleubeard and I appreciate you dropping by, too.



17 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

How intriguing. What a great find and capture (despite having left teendom behind many years ago I love it).

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a very interesting mural, very effective in black and white. You can buy things made by that company here, too. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Wow awesome mural neat that being an ad was kinda hidden at first enjoy your Sunday

CJ Kennedy said...

very striking mural.

Divers and Sundry said...

I rarely see murals in black and white, and it makes for an interesting change.

kwarkito said...

I love this black and white mural. I think the graphics are very original. I particularly like the face with the inscription out of line apparel. A great find

Tom said...

...I like this bold, stark mural, it's well done!

My name is Erika. said...

Cool mural Elizabeth. The black and white is really stunning.

Bertiebo said...

Great find. Glad you did some research

Iris Flavia said...

Good quotes. Sad he had to go like that. Good he is not forgotten and honored.
Good, individual art.
Goth is still around? Or again? Oh, I feel old ;-)

Helen said...

Really like the effectiveness of the black and white. Great mural!

Sami said...

Beautiful find Elizabeth. I like the black and white theme and I spotted quite a few beautiful quotes.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Jackie McGuinness said...

This is a fascinating piece with so much going on. I can see that image of Wichita on a t-shirt!

Alice said...

This is fantastic, Wichita is a city I have never visited.

Lowcarb team member said...

This mural is so effective in black and white.
A good find, thank you for sharing it.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

Really well done!

Birgit said...

That’s a great mural done in basic black and white. Funny how lines can create such great images.