Sunday, May 23, 2021

Monday Murals: Marshall Middle School

 

It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  

Today we are visiting the Marshall Middle School, which is about five blocks from where I live.  Their tile work is impressive.
 

Yes, it was incredibly cold and windy the day I took these photos.

It was at that time I noticed the barn and silo in the lower area.

Next, I moved to the south side of the building.  The tiles, which are the same on both sides, depict the oil wells, oil fields, grain elevators, and airplanes on which Wichita is built.  For those who don't know, Wichita has long been called the small aircraft capital of the world.  In it's day, Boeing, Beech (later Raytheon), Cessna, and Lear all called Wichita home.

It was hard to see the murals behind the tree limbs, but had it been any later,

I would not have seen them at all because of the leaves that would soon hide the murals from view.

The nice thing was, there were sports tiles over some of the windows on the side of the building.

There was also one honoring the arts (music, theater, art, etc).  Marshall Middle School is located at 1510 N. Payne in Wichita, Kansas (USA). 
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping in to visit Bleubeard and me today, too.

 

 

19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Fabulous. I adore murals - thank you.

Iris Flavia said...

Five blocks. LOL. I have no idea how far that is. Here streets can be short or long, "endless", even, same name for a street covering over 3 miles straight (Hamburger Street, ,for example), but some streets go in a curve (boy, did I get lost here sometimes!).

Interesting with the aircrafts. And wonderful murals. Our schools have nothing like it (OK, here, some have a Henry, of course!).

Valerie-Jael said...

The tiles on the school are very interesting and beautifully made. A lot of the older schools here are also adorned with frescoes and carvings, but the more modern ones are mostly rather plain. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Annie said...

I love seeing beautifully painted murals. These on the school are awesome. How nice that they represent the area as well as the Arts and Sports. I like that they are high up on the building. They can’t get defaced.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful building. Looks Art Deco in style. Our old school buildings look like factories and the new school buildings look like hotels. Nothing like this school.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the design elements of this building. The mural looks like an integral part of the design. I like all the murals, of course, but most use the building as a surface; this makes the mural part of the overall structure. Love it!

kathyinozarks said...

Wow what fabulous murals on this school. I love old buildings like this

DVArtist said...

Wow! This is so interesting and beautiful. Have a nice Sunday.

Tom said...

..we have a John Marshall High School too. This one is a beauty. Its Late Art Deco Style was special in the late 1930s. The mural add to the overall beauty of the building. Thanks for shariing/

Martha said...

These are all very nice!

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a gorgeous old building. The murals on it are quite eye catching. I really like the scallops and pointed bordered along the top of the building.It is in amazing condition too. I wonder what it looks like inside? Hope it was a great Sunday! hugs-Erika

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful, you sure visit some interesting places. x

Rita said...

Beautiful tile work. You don't see that as often as paintings on the sides of buildings. :)

Bertiebo said...

I also love the building. I mean not only the mural

Sami said...

Beautiful murals depicting so many different aspects of the town's history. It's lovely! Thanks for participating in Monday Murals.

magiceye said...

A beautiful delicate mural!

Jeanie said...

That's lovely work on the school tower. I love all it represents.

Linda said...

Wow, that's impressive.

craftytrog said...

Amazing murals! xx