Saturday, April 3, 2021

My Irish Hat

 

Many of you who frequent my blog saw this Irish hat I shared before St. Patrick's Day.

Today I'm going to share how I created it.

I started with two items one would normally send to the trash or recycle bin, and a green permanent marker.  I don't know about where you live, but those K-cups are not recyclable where I live.  Thankfully, the tin lid is.

The first thing I did was remove the filter and wash the white K-cup.  I also cleaned and dried the lid from a tin can using a smooth edge can opener. I then colored the cleaned and dry K-cup and the tin can lid.

Apply a tiny bit of E6000 (not shown) to the K cup and can lid assembly and allow time to dry.

Add ribbon and a "buckle" made of recycled copier/printer paper that I colored using a Sharpie. 

Display with pride.  You may need to save this for next year's St. Patrick's Day, but at least you'll be ready.

This is Day 3 of 22 and I recycled a used K-cup, a tin can lid, and a piece of recycled copier/printer paper.  The ribbon was new and the project was colored using green and black markers.   Thank you for joining me today.  I appreciate it.


17 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for sharing your creative and clever use of 'trash'.

Valerie-Jael said...

Pretty hat and a great idea. These things are fully recyclable here, we have yellow containers for plastic and metal. And there are blue ones for paper, and brown ones for compost. Anything else has to go in the black ones. Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Clever, what more to say?!

craftytrog said...

Great tutorial Elizabeth! I love your little hat!
Alison xx

sheila 77 said...

This is such amazing fun but also with a serious message.
Your photos are so informative as are your "instructions".
A buckle made from recycled copy paper, love it.
I'm now going to catch up on Days 1 and 2.

Mae Travels said...

Cute project...Now we need your advice on Easter Eggs!

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Your St. Patrick's Day hat is cute and clever.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a clever way to make a hat for St. Patrick's Day. I would never guessed you made it. It makes it nice to have one of those safe edge can openers to make it also. It looks great and is a good idea. Hope your have a nice Saturday. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Elizabeth you are so creative

Barbara said...

You are so very creative!!

one irrational bean said...

Very cute and excellent recycling.☘️

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great hat and a very good idea, thanks for sharing your creative work.

Happy weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

Rita said...

Fun recycling idea. :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This came out great.

DVArtist said...

Very cleaver. Thanks for the tutorial. Have a great day.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a cool idea! and a creative use of items that otherwise would go to the landfill.

Jeanie said...

Very cute, Elizabeth.