Saturday, April 24, 2021

More recycling from nature inspired art

 

Let's look to nature for backgrounds of which we can be proud.

This was the first time I created backgrounds using handmade shimmering mists.

I got a little help from nature and a little help from stencils.

I started pounding irises back in 2010.

I love my rubber mallet.  In fact, I have three of them.  You can never have too many mallets!

Once I opened the cardstock, this is what I saw.

I was delighted this project turned out so well the first time I tried it.

Years later, I was still pounding flowers every April or May,

but this time, I chose fabric.

I'm actually quite pleased with how this turned out.  Believe me, this is permanent.  If you don't believe me, just set a vase of irises on a white tablecloth, then try to remove the stains once one petal falls on the table.
 
More fabric pounding of fabric, this time in 2016.
 
More pounding on fabric, this time a few days later.  Note the paper under the vase of irises.  I'm no fool (grin).
 
That same day, I cut a heart from corrugated cardboard.

This deconstructed crocheted flower got a bit of iris juice on it, so I paired it with some previously rusted, then flower pounded cheesecloth.  The flower had been crocheted by my grandmother (grandparents raised me from birth), so I dedicated the recycled heart and flowers to her.  She definitely was an angel in my eyes.

Speaking of rust, I used some of my rusted fabric to create this quiltlet with the pansy in the center.

I apologize for not visiting anyone yesterday.  I have not been and am still not well.  It all started after I ate lunch on Thursday.  I fear (and so does my friend Sharon, a T Tuesday participant who called me on Friday) I got food poisoning from the meal I ate at a local restaurant.  I am still not well enough to sit and read your wonderful posts, but will be by once I feel better.  Right now, I'm staying close to the "facilities."  However, I thank you for your visit.


14 thoughtful remarks:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

wow- your work is impressive. I enjoyed viewing the artwork.

Valerie-Jael said...

You made some lovely pieces with your flower pounding. Hope you soon feel well again, take care! Hugs, Valerie

Annie said...

How interesting your flower pounding is! I did not know that Iris’ were such a great source of dye. They are one of my favorite flowers to admire in the gardens. Your projects with them are terrific and inspiring. Wishing you well soon.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't remember seeing flower-pounding before, but your results are gorgeous!

Elephant's Child said...

Nature is always inspirational and I love seeing the routes she lead you down.
I do hope that you start to feel much better very soon.

CJ Kennedy said...

Flower pounding is fun. I did it in my class one time and the instructor next door came to complain we were making to much noise. 😺 The tribute to your grandmother is just beautiful. I hope you are feeling better. Take care

Olde Dame Holly said...

I am very sorry to hear you are not well. Food poisoning is such a dangerous thing. We forget about that in these modern times. But it is serious. I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for telling about how irises are filled with permanent "juice" for lack of a better term! I had NO idea!

My name is Erika. said...

I didn't know you could pound flowers to get color onto paper or fabric. It looks cool and makes a great background. Does the color hold up over time? Its nice to see all this recycled art Elizabeth. Hope you had a great Saturday.

aussie aNNie said...

Amazing, I use real leaves etc on my geli plate, and Big shot, amazing effects too. xx

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful pounded flowers. So sorry to hear you’re not feeling well - I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Iris Flavia said...

LOL. Just mentioning... I got my name not for the flower, I don´t leave stains ;-)
Retina. Optometrist... But I GET stains when I bump into something. Irony.
Love all your works.

Uh-oh. Hope you feel better soon!

Helen said...

sorry to hear you've been unwell, I hope it has passed now

DVArtist said...

Hope you are feeling better. I love the technique of this pounding. The results are very nice. Have a good day.

Jeanie said...

These look great -- I love the flower pounding. I'm sorry you are still under the weather. I admire you had the guts to go to a restaurant. I think it will be a long time before I'm comfortable doing that. Lay low and get better.