Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Fantasy Flower

 

It's time to once again join Sheila, aka Orange Esmeralda, at Art Journal Journey where she is hosting this month. By now I'm sure you know her theme is A Single Flower. 

Sheila loves to create fantasy flowers, and mine started out that way.

Sadly, mine turned a bit realistic.

No matter what I did, and how much I kept adding to it, it didn't look like a real fantasy flower I envisioned in my head.

Even the leaves look realistic,
 
although I tried to make the bottom one less real.

The vase is about the only part of the fantasy I got right.

I wish I'd started with the vase, and maybe the flower would have been less realistic.
I was actually playing around with resists when I created this journal page on 110 lb cardstock.  The flower and vase were created using glitter crayons (Crayola brand) that don't spread well.  The glitter caused the crayons to be quite hard and not creamy like regular crayons.  That made them skip, even when I went over the images several times.  What they DID accomplish was to act as a resist when I added the watercolor to the page.  I went over the page several times to enhance the watercolor I used as the background.

Thanks once again for joining Bleubeard and me today.  We are truly grateful you stopped by.  We would also like to see you at Art Journal Journey.  You still have plenty of time to play.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Love your dedication to creativity.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your fantasy flower is beautiful! Have a great day. Here the sun is shining! Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Love this! Great composition. Ordered a book on watercolors (yes, I´m old..., but Kate said it´s good).
"Corinna"... won´t arrive till way into April...

CJ Kennedy said...

A happy, whimsical piece.

Mia said...

Great fantasy flower, Elizabeth. I agree with Laurie that it is looks like a tulip in a martini glass. Kisses!

Divers and Sundry said...

It'd hafta be a fantasy flower to survive there ;)

sheila 77 said...

I love your fantastic fantasy flower, especially as you made it specially for my AJJ theme. It is standing proudly in its fantasy vase and one of its leaves is definitely making a fantasy statement.
I enjoy coming here, Elizabeth, because I never know what I am going to find with all the different techniques you pursue and materials you use.
Love from Sheila

Barbara said...

Fantastic flower looks whimsical, a “tulip in a martini glass” is right on! In reply to your query about toilet paper for making paper clay, it’s suggested to be single ply that’s meant to dissolve easily (Scott brand as an example).

Olde Dame Holly said...

It looks like a wonderful fantasy flower to me! I love the colors.

DVArtist said...

I just love your fantasy flower. The colors are amazing. Have a great day. I mentioned you in my blog post today and tried to link back but blogger wouldn't allow it.

Birgit said...

This can easily be a fantasy flower with the sparkle and no discerning petals. It has a mind of its own. Love the stand as well.

kathyinozarks said...

sounds like a fun creative process though-and I do love your fantasy flower-hugs

My name is Erika. said...

I think it's a great fantasy flower. It looks tall and strong and has movement. It has personality too. Nice page dear Elizabeth! hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Yes--crayons make a great resist to watercolors!
Have a great day. :)

Elkes Lebensglück said...

The fantasy flower is great and fun!
Great idea!!!
Have a good day, hug Elke

sirkkis said...

I see in your fantast flower energy and joy!
Have a great day, my friend xx

craftytrog said...

A beautiful bright flower, and I love the watery background Elizabeth. Makes me want to get my watercolours out for a play.
Alison xx

Neet said...

In myk mind's eye this is a fantasy flower - if it glitters it must be. So dedar Elizabeth you are quite correct, it is a fantasy flower - I have not see4n glittery wax crayons, that is a new one on me. Love that you did a washj afterwards and made the background more intense in colour.
Hugs, to you and Bleubeard (and Squiggles, but keep that one quiet)
Neet xx

Jeanie said...

Pink and orange -- one of my favorites. I really need to use that combo more when I paint!