Monday, February 15, 2021

Not your typical Presidents' Day

 

If you live in the United States, today is a Federal holiday.  It is known as Presidents' Day.

However, this is not your typical
 
Presidents' Day.

Presidents' Day was originally created to celebrate George Washington's  and Abraham Lincoln's birthdays.  Actually, it started as a tribute to George Washington, but Lincoln was later added.  Further, according to History.com
Presidents' Day never falls on the actual birthday of any American president. Four chief executives—George Washington, William Henry Harrison, Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan—were born in February, but their birthdays all come either too early or late to coincide with Presidents' Day, which is always celebrated on the third Monday of the month.
In this spread, I have highlighted some good presidents and some of questionable character.

Because Valerie is hosting Art Journal Journey this month with her theme of Heavy Metal, I have included this quote by Herbert Hoover:
We have gold because we cannot thrust governments. 
Further according to History.com
Washington and Lincoln still remain the two most recognized leaders, but Presidents' Day is now popularly seen as a day to recognize the lives and achievements of all of America’s chief executives. Some lawmakers have objected to this view, arguing that grouping George Washington and Abraham Lincoln together with less successful presidents minimizes their legacies. 

Two more presidents who I've included, but are not typically celebrated.

At least I got the date correct.
 
Twice, in fact.


For this spread I created in my watercolor journal, I computer generated the words, then colored them using dye ink.  I then cut the pictures of all the presidents with the exception of President Biden, from a dictionary.  Biden's image was from Time magazine.

If you live in the states, enjoy your extra day off.  If you live in the rest of the world, have a super Monday and please join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.

 

12 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you.
I cannot imagine us having anything similar here.
And love the artwork you created.

Mae Travels said...

In elementary school we always looked forward to February because of all the holidays -- Lincoln's Birthday (remember the log cabin), Washington's Birthday (remember the cherry tree), and Valentine Day (make a valentine box for the classroom). I think the teachers hated it because it disrupted the routine. Presidents' Day is too generic.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

A very interesting page, thanks for linking to my heavy metal challenge! Hope you are feeling better. Hugs, Valerie

Neet said...

Thanks Elizabeth for an interesting page. I wonder how it will be celebrated by all in America today in view of the latest news of the past few weeks?
Hugs, Neet xx

Iris Flavia said...

And something new.. "new" learned, to what kind of a school have I been?!
Sad orange managed to stay free. I do hope that were the last news of him on German TV. Hope Biden´ll do a better job, and no, I don´t think we here will hear of it!
Never had so many news of an American "president" on German TV as with orange.

Hope your eyes/health is better?

Barbara said...

Food for thought! Thank you.

Valerie-Jael said...

Could you please link me this evening? Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Wow Elizabeth! You nailed this. A truly beautiful spread. This is a keeper. Have a really great day. I hope you are feeling much better.

Divers and Sundry said...

Hoover was always regressive, wasn't he :( The history was interesting, thanks :)

My name is Erika. said...

Nice tribute journal page. I must say, that for me, after all the political intrigue going on over the last couple of months, it has taken a bite out of the meaning of today's holiday. I'm hoping in another year that may be different. Hope it was a nice day for you and not too cold. Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

No mail today. Sigh. Ah, well. At least we have a new president. One I can say deserves a President's Day!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Once again you have taught me some history and made another fabulous page for AJJ! I hadn't been commenting on your blog as I thought you didn't want another comment to read - I did enjoy looking through your posts though! Hugs, Chrisx