Thursday, December 3, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: the big screen


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is The Big Screen.

I researched drive-ins before I created this entry that went in my Summertime journal.

The first drive-in was located in New Jersey (USA) when Richard Hollingshead patented the concept and built the first drive-in in 1933.  Drive-ins were a new concept and only 95 were built in the U.S.A. from 1933-1942.  Then the war took its toll on drive-ins.  This was caused by fuel rations, no rubber for tires, and most families were involved in the war effort.  Some drive-ins closed for as many as two years during that time.

Once the war was over, drive-ins became a thriving business again.  The drive-in boom was now truly under way. Going from less than 1,000 drive-ins in 1948 to close to 5,000 by 1958, the drive-in etched it's place in history, not just in the U.S.A. but in many countries across the world.  During the same years (1948 to 1958) over 5,000 indoor theaters closed reducing their number from 17,000 to 12,000.

Young children needed to be entertained, so many drive-ins added a playground in the empty space between the first row and the screen.  

Parents would arrive early so their children could play there.  

Oftentimes, entire families and friends piled into a single car and each car paid for and received only one ticket, regardless of the number of people in the car.

Before the movies began, a trip to the concession stand was in order.   To increase sales, intermission between movies was invented so people could stock up on assorted food and drink.

From what I've read, this was a favorite spot to spend a summer night under the stars watching the stars: by that I mean the on-screen stars.  That is, until urbanization took over and pushed drive-in owners to sell their large plots of land that could be used for no more than four months each summer.  Bleubeard wants to know when I'm going to take him to a drive-in so he can see stars, too.

Speaking of stars,

Marilyn Monroe was one haunted and misunderstood woman.  She was a tortured soul, often used by others, became a sex symbol, used and confused sex for love, and often felt uncared for, even by those who gave her unquestioning love.

I have very little to contribute this week.  I'm sure others will have more to offer.  I look forward to seeing how each of the participants handle this theme.  All three art journal entries created by me.  Bleubeard is looking for Felix the Cat or other stars.

Thank you so very much for stopping by today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date

 

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Those were the days! Drive in movies were something I dreamed of as kid! Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I saw Pet Sematary with my Ex (got a clue why ex, huh) in the last drive in in our area.
He had an orange, very cool, Holden, 70´s style.
Later, with Ingo, I was in Sun Pictures watching - ... as first Forrest Gump in Sun Pictures, it was wonderful with the Outback Sky.
Beautiful page, both, my Mum and Dad had a Kaefer.
And yes. Marilyn. A sad story. If I remember correctly there is an episode on "Quantum Leap" on her.

Gillena Cox said...

Yes of course i remember the Drive In Movie days. Nice response

(✿◠‿◠)

much love...

Barbara said...

A drive in movie theatre was such a big part of my NJ teenage culture that many of us were forbidden to go there. It was also known as the “passion pit”! There are still a handful of these in NJ, but not all are operating. Its not unusual to be riding along the highways and byways when one of those mammoth blank white screens comes into view.

Kokopelli said...

Great entry for this week! Now I'm hungry for some popcorn. Lately they set up some drive-in movie theaters over here, as people culdn't visit the movie theaters as usual. Have a nice day!

Christine said...

Enjoyed this post on the good old days, I remember the drive-ins, such fun as kids. My uncle would pile us into his car (no seatbelts in those days)...a big part of the fun was getting the snacks, there was a food counter.

craftytrog said...

Great post Elizabeth. The drive-ins must have been a lot of fun!

DVArtist said...

Ahhh love this post. It co-insides with mine. I forgot to mention in mine that on Friday night it was "buck night" $1.00 for a car full of people. Have a great day.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun post though I’m not a fan of the drive-in. Too uncomfortable in the car to try to see the screen, and though people bring lawn chairs to sit outside, too buggy. At least here in New England. I’d rather watch a movie in the comfy stadium seating theater where little people can see the screen

Divers and Sundry said...

We still have a drive-in theater here, and it's doing a big business these days.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I've heard that because of the virus mess; some cities are actually re opening the drive inn. always enjoyed going there as a kid. !!

bleu and squiggles; felix, pink panther, garfield, sylvester, tom...de list oh cat starz goes on and on !!! ♥♥

Susan Kane said...

Lots of fun was had at the drive-in movies.

Marilyn Monroe was indeed a tragic person. Besides all the things you listed, she also had several abortions.

NatureFootstep said...

As far as I know there were never any Drive-ins in Sweden. I think it was a great idea.

Marilyn Monroe proves famous don´t make you happy :(

Thanks for sharing.

My name is Erika. said...

That is a fun page. Ilike drive ins. We still have one not too far from us and I had hoped to go this past summer, but finding a movie I wanted to actually pay to go resee (as there was no new ones) didn't happen. I didn't know the story behind drive ins so that was fascinating. This is a fun page. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

Mia said...

We never had drive-ins in Greece! It seems fun! Great pages, my friend.
And: YES, I used the paper you made and sent me to my tag (THANK YOU). I am going to use the paper again (because I simply LOVE it) for your Second on the 2nd. Kisses!

Sandra Cox said...

I loved drive-in movies. I've never really understood why they dropped off. I'd love to see them pick back up, wouldn't you? That popcorn piece is making me hungry:)
Take special care, dear Elizabeth.

Rita said...

We loved going to the drive-in when we were kids...and later as teenagers. Did you ever hide in a trunk? ;)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Drive Ins never took off in the UK although I think now there are places! We didn't have a car but whenever thy were shown in films I always wished we could visit one! Love your pages, especially the top one! Hugs, Chrisx

Sami said...

This brought back memories of going to the Drive-in when we lived in South Africa. Lovely page Elizabeth.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

So little? I don't think so ... that was an interesting report on the history of drive-ins. I grew up when they were in their prime and went to many drive in movies with family and friends. They are making a bit of a comeback now with Covid and nobody being able to go safely to a theater. And yes, by all means get Bluebeard some Felix cartoons and now they have "cat movies". They have other cats playing, mice running across the screen and bugs crawling up the screen. I have had one, though I haven't seen it since we moved. My cats would sit on the TV stand and bat at the bugs and mice. And really, Elizabeth ... you never liked even one Bad Boy? :) Be well, my friend ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Tom said...

...you have some wonderful vintage drive ins, they were the original BIG screens!

Jeanie said...

This is just perfect for the theme. Oh, the popcorn boxes. Love those. And the iconic Marilyn!

Thanks for all your visits, concern and nice words. SO very appreciated.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful collages.

Let's Art Journal said...

Gorgeous pages! Love the designs, you have captured the drive-in so beautifully - love it 😀. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Rain said...

LOL at Bleubeard keeping to his genre... :) I LOVE your drive-in art and your Marilyn. She was indeed a sad soul. I remember going to drive ins with my grandpa as a kid, I saw a few Disney movies but I can't remember which ones. I loved the humid hot nights and the candy...we were in the car in our pj's! I re-created this memory as an adult back in 2002. I went to a drive in on Prince Edward Island, just me and my two dogs at that time. I saw some kind of Adam Sandler movie, but I wore my pj's!! :) So much fun! :)