Saturday, July 4, 2020

Happy Independence Day and another spread for Try it on Tuesday


Image found on the internet
Today we celebrate the 4th of July.  I thought you might enjoy a few fun facts I learned as I researched this holiday we in the States associate with hot dogs and fireworks.  I took this information from the web site Constitution Facts:
We celebrate American Independence Day on the Fourth of July every year. We think of July 4, 1776, as a day that represents the Declaration of Independence and the birth of the United States of America as an independent nation.
But July 4, 1776 wasn't the day that the Continental Congress decided to declare independence (they did that on July 2, 1776).
It wasn’t the day we started the American Revolution either (that had happened back in April 1775).
And it wasn't the day Thomas Jefferson wrote the first draft of the Declaration of Independence (that was in June 1776). Or the date on which the Declaration was delivered to Great Britain (that didn't happen until November 1776). Or the date it was signed (that was August 2, 1776).
So what, according to Constitution Facts did happen on July 4, 1776?
The Continental Congress approved the final wording of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. They'd been working on it for a couple of days after the draft was submitted on July 2nd and finally agreed on all of the edits and changes.
July 4, 1776, became the date that was included on the Declaration of Independence, and the fancy handwritten copy that was signed in August (the copy now displayed at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.) It’s also the date that was printed on the Dunlap Broadsides, the original printed copies of the Declaration that were circulated throughout the new nation. So when people thought of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776 was the date they remembered.
Interesting facts indeed.  And now you and I know why we call today Independence Day.

Now let's visit Try it on Tuesday where their theme this fortnight is "Create a scene."

This is my second set of pages I created from across the U.S.A.

Karen asked about one of the images I showed yesterday, and it hit me I hadn't told where all these places were in the States.  I believe this is a building in Alaska, but I can't find information on it, and I threw the original information away.

If you've been here, or know where this is, please let me know.

I've been to Samuel Langhorne Clemens, aka Mark Twain's home in Hannibal, Missouri (MO).  The white washed fence like the one Tom Sawyer got Ben Rogers and other boys to paint, surrounds the home.

These are the remains of the volcano that erupted in 1980 at Mount St. Helens in Washington (WA) state.

The top battle is from Pea Ridge in Arkansas.  Pea Ridge was the pivotal Civil War battle west of the Mississippi River and is one of the most intact Civil War battlefields in the United States.  I bought a small metal canon at their gift shop.

If you make it to Baton Rouge, Louisiana (LA), be sure to stop at Three Rolls Estates.  They even give you a small glass of their rum.  You can choose from several including white and dark rums.  I assure you, the glass was small enough, it didn't take long for the "buzz" I got from the rum to wear off.

The photo on the right is from Boothbay Harbor, Maine (ME) Botanical Garden.

I haven't been here, but I believe Divers and Sundry has.  It's the Hall of Awards, a part of Elvis Presley's mansion tour at Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee (TN).

For these pages, I began by laying down dye ink direct to paper (DTP). I also colored "Sights across the"  and "USA" using the same dye ink.   All images came from various travel magazines.  All mats were paint chip samples I've had for years, and need to use or get rid of.  The words were computer generated, then colored as noted. 

Thanks for your visit today.  I appreciate it, as does Bleubeard.  Don't forget to visit Try it on Tuesday and check out how others Create a Scene


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy Independence Day! Lovely scrap pages again, lots of nice pictures. Look after yourself, Valerie

Ira said...

These pages now have a different story to tell...

aussie aNNie said...

Happy Independence Day and a lovely set of pages to follow.xx

Iris Flavia said...

Good thing to have prove-read the declaration! These days (in Germany at least) they discuss "all night", let us all know they did (oh, a tough job, being a politician, these days (irony)). And decide straight away.
Often to take it back as it turned out to be nonesense.

That said: Happy 4th of July, celebreate! :-)

Oh, I love the red house! When I still lived in my parent´s house I had my room under the roof and I loooooved rain, so soothing!
Here we have to look outside to see if it´s raining and I miss the sound so much.

Uh-oh. I only know Tom Sawyer from.... The Simpsons!!! They had that exact scene there, with the white fence.
See how "Germans" learn about America, it´s history and novels? From fellow bloggers and The Simpsons!
With that... add "Walzing Matilda" to your earworm list, too, might take you away from a "Time warp" ;-)

Helen said...

happy Independence Day. hope your eye is recovering

Meggymay said...

Happy Independence day and for all the interesting facts you shared, I am learning lots of your history that we don't learn about in our school education lessons here.
I love the fabulous journal spread you created for the Try it on Tuesdays theme and spent ages looking at all the super pictures. Thank you for joining us there.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Barbara said...

Can always count on you for some history! 😄

My name is Erika. said...

Happy July 4th and another wonderful spread and scene. You've shown some more nice scenes, including the Civil War reenactment. (Or I think that's what those uniforms look like having been to a couple.) This is a perfect way to celebrate our nation's birthday and also a great spread for TIOT. Thank you again for joining us. Enjoy your celebration. The sun has come out here and the hubby and I are going to go out in the boat at some point today. Hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

Happy July 4th and another wonderful spread and scene. You've shown some more nice scenes, including the Civil War reenactment. (Or I think that's what those uniforms look like having been to a couple.) This is a perfect way to celebrate our nation's birthday and also a great spread for TIOT. Thank you again for joining us. Enjoy your celebration. The sun has come out here and the hubby and I are going to go out in the boat at some point today. Hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

Sorry for the double comment post. It wasn't posting for some reason and then decided to do it twice!

Cindy McMath said...

Happy 4th. Nice to find out where the pics are from. Great way to “travel” across the US in the comfort and safety of home.

Sandra Cox said...

Love Sights across the USA. Purrfect for today.
Happy 4th, dear Elizabeth.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a great history and geography teacher you are! I learn so much from your travel pages and from your accounts of American history! I'm even happier to see that this page is for Try It On Tuesday! Thank you once again for joining us! I hope that you are enjoying your weekend even with your dodgy eye!! Hugs, Chrisx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Nice artwork Elizabeth. I hope your eye is healing well. Happy Fourth of July!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Happy 4th July Elizabeth just about made it (your time) to wish you all the best today.. Great journal entry, you always give us so much more information, very interesting. I like the sound of the rum hee hee..
Hope all is well with you and the eye..?? Hugs Tracey xx

DVArtist said...

Another wonderful history lesson. I knew most of it but you filled in a few details. Great entry too. You are so talented.

Rita said...

Happy 4th!! Interesting facts I heard so long ago I had forgotten most of them. :)

Sami said...

Happy 4th of July. I like the red house, it's so pretty :)
Enjoy your day Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

I hope you had a great 4th! We've had fireworks in the neighborhood for weeks now, but last night we had some impressive ones we could see through our window. All the public exhibitions were cancelled, of course.

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy 4th of July, hope you are enjoying the weekend! Such beautiful art journal pages too capturing those lovely scenes - thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday 😁. Hugs, Jo x

Jeanie said...

Happy Fourth on the Fifth! I really appreciate your attention to the detail of history. It makes a big different and I'm so glad you wrote that. It had to take time too. It's appreciated. Hope your cats survived the sounds. And you, too!

Eileen Bergen said...

I'm enjoying these montages. The only place I've to in today's photos is Boothbay Harbor. We took our son thereand surrounding areas when he was 9 or 10. Long time ago. Hugs, Eileen

Mrs.B said...

Another wonderful spread depicting some interesting places and I was fascinated to learn the facts about Independence Day and it's association with the 4th.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday, Avril x