Friday, May 15, 2020

Friday Smiles 371: Another trip to the Eisenhower Museum


This is the post I had ready to publish last week before I pulled the plug on it due to my getting sick.  I'm sharing it in its entirety below.  I'll be by to visit everyone but it may take me awhile, since I'm still not able to sit too long at the computer. 

Today we're heading back to the Eisenhower Museum.  Let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles and discover more of the museum.

Gosh, it's been so long I've forgotten where we left off.  Mamie and Ike are now in Paris where he was assigned to General John J. Pershing’s Battle Monuments Commission.

Ike's job was to create a guide to the American WWI battlefields in Europe. It was a complete history, battle by battle, of the American war on the western front.  Above are memorabilia from the time they spent in Paris.

When the job was completed, Ike was the best informed officer in the Army on strategy and battle tactics.



I'm sure you can read that Mamie was influential in the decision to move to Paris.


While in Paris, the two enjoyed touring Europe and learning about other cultures.  Ike, Mamie, and John (their son) enjoyed their time there.

Ike set out to explore Paris on foot. After three months of daily instruction, he became proficient at reading and writing French, but the spoken word eluded him.

As you can see, Ike was assigned to the American Battle Monuments Commission under General Pershing. It was during this time he produced a guide to American battlefields in Europe.

It's hard to read, but this shows how Ike and Mamie took a plush apartment about a mile from the Eiffel Tower.  The apartment was on the 1st floor or the 2nd floor as we in the states call it.  The Eisenhowers soon became the social center for their friends in Paris and guests visiting France. Because of exchange rates, Paris was then very inexpensive for Americans, and the apartment was far more elegant than the Eisenhowers could have afforded on his salary in the states.

Ike developed an M-Day Plan unlike any that had been created before.  This one was for American industry to follow in case of war.

Ike, Mamie, and John in Paris.



Upon his return to the states, Ike was assigned to the Office of Assistant Secretary of War, where, as mentioned above, he prepared plans for the mobilization of American industry and manpower in case of a future war.

In 1933, Ike graduated from the Army Industrial College first of 245 in his class.

Once again, back home, Mamie made their apartment in The Wyoming, a place for people to visit.  Mamie's father helped them financially during the depression, as you can read.

In 1929, while helping General Pershing compile his memoirs, Ike met MacArthur.  It was during this time that Ike became General MacArthur's personal assistant.  



A few items were shown side by side, but several years apart, such as the farewell dinner given to Ike and Mamie when they left Paris.

Directly next to it is the invitation to attend a garden party at the White House in 1935.

And next to that shows where Ike worked with MacArthur to train and equip the Philippine Military and won a distinguished service award in 1939.

Ike went to the Philippines with MacArthur to help the Filipino Army in their fight for independence.  Mamie stayed home in Denver with her parents for a year.  Although she eventually joined Ike, Mamie disliked the Philippines’ paternalistic culture, despite her Victorian values.

Ike carried this bamboo house

back to the states when he returned from the Philippines.  Per the sign above, he gave it to Mamie as a reminder of their time in Manila.

We've covered many years, 12 in fact, in this latest visit to the museum.  I think it's a good time to let you go for this week.  Some of you will be saying YES, others I believe will enjoy this museum as much as I have.

And finally, here are a few Friday Funnies:

A policeman pulled a female driver over and asked to see her license.
After looking it over, he said to her, “Lady, it stipulates here on your license that you should be wearing glasses.”
“Well, I have contacts,” the woman replied.
“Look lady, I don’t care who you know,” snapped the officer. “You’re getting a ticket.”


Little 2 1/2-year-old Kelli went with a neighbor girl to church for First Communion practice. To demonstrate the process, the pastor has the children cup their hands, and when he gives them the “Host” (in this case, a piece of bread) he says: “God be with you.”
Apparently this made quite an impression on Kelli. She came home and told her mother to cup her hands and bend down. Kelli tore a piece of bread from her sandwich, placed it in her mother’s hands, and whispered, in her most angelic voice: “God will get you.”


And since so many of you seem to love Dr. Seuss, what would happen if Dr. Seuss wrote technical manuals?

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
And the double-clicking icons put your window in the trash,
And your data is corrupted ’cause the index doesn’t hash,
Then your situation’s hopeless, and your system’s gonna crash!

If the label on your cable on the gable at your house,
Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
But your packets want to tunnel to another protocol,
That’s repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall.

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss,
So your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse,
Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
‘Cause as sure as I’m a poet, the sucker’s gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy’s getting sloppy on the disk,
And the microcode instructions cause unnecessary RISC,
Then you have to flash your memory and you’ll want to RAM your ROM,
Quickly turn off your computer and be sure to tell your mom!


Thanks so much for visiting today.  Now let's head over to Annie's to see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles. She will welcome you just as she did me many years ago.



22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing, have a great day. Take care of yourself, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Mamie was really beautiful, and I love her hat :-)
Great he talked it over with her if Paris or not!
Paris was cheap, bummer.
And what caring people they were. What a difference to your actual "potus", sorry big letters refuse here!
Boy, was that man cute. Thank you so much for sharing, Elizabeth!

:-) I had contacts, too! Back then...
I wonder if Dr. Seuss also mistook other things for the mouse? A friend once took a prune, another a breadroll and Hubby an old cellphone.
Thank you for the laughs and to a recovery now - says the one still coughing, ha-ha...

froebelsternchen said...

Wow... super!

oxo Susi

Words and Pictures said...

That really is an amazing museum - so full of detail about the Eisenhowers... and a dollshouse too! The Funnies are great - I particularly like that Seuss tribute. Hope you are feeling better - be gentle with yourself and get properly well... that's the main thing.
Alison x

Annie said...

It's good to see you joining in today. Loved the funnies. Please leek after yourself and rest well.
Hugs,
Annie x

Dortesjs said...

thanks for sharing this post..you do get around.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Thanks for sharing your photos. I hope you're better soon.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This sure is an interesting place and love the funnies, don't know how you find them but they sure make me smile. Take care and big hugs, Angela xXx

Meggymay said...

I think I've said this before, that this museum visit you are sharing is one place i really would like to visit for myself. This will never happen so thank you Elizabeth for taking me on the trip with you. Its a fantastic post and all the photos looked super.
Hope you are feeling a bit better today.
Stay safe,
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

What an interesting post Elizabeth! That museum is incredible, and your photos are very beautiful, and Mamie and Ike lived great moments. The smiling Friday are funny.
I hope you are better already, and I want to apologize for the misunderstanding, I should not have expressed myself correctly. I did not mean that you had the virus, because I know that you are very conscientious about disinfection and protection. I wanted to say that when we are sick and feel very bad, it is good that a doctor sees us and prescribes a medication so that we can improve very soon, just that. I am very sorry I did not express myself well, sometimes it happens when a language is not well mastered.
I wish you a good weekend, and send big hugs
Caty

My name is Erika. said...

Glad to be back to this museum. It is always fascinating how one even can take someone (meaning in the general term) off on a different road. It sounds like that for Ike. And Mamie too. With life being as it is right now, I enjoyed my virtual museum trip. And I didn't mean to scare you or worry you or get you upset with my comment yesterday. Having had one person I know sick (my mom), I don't want anyone else (that I know or know of) to go through it. Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon. Hugs-Erika

peppylady (Dora) said...

I wasn't alive when he was our President. But as history buff I found it quite interesting.
Coffee is on

kathyinozarks said...

Thank you for taking us back to this museum Elizabeth-I have really enjoyed all the posts and learned new things I didn't know him.

Divers and Sundry said...

Museums can take us back in time. That museum seems to have an extensive collection.

I do hope you're getting better.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

that bamboo house is awesome !!! as is the tech manual by dr. seuss !!!!! total lee kewl as da tabbies say :) cfckin UP at the funnies and feel better ;)

bleu N squiggles, ewe doodz stay in TRUBULL :) ☺☺☺♥♥♥

mamapez5 said...

Your post has so much interesting information, but forgive me as I am not really in the right place for a museum visit. I did laugh at your funnies, and I really appreciate your regular visits to my blog. Thank you. Kate x

Lowcarb team member said...

A lovely post and what an amazing museum this is.

Do please take care of yourself.
Happy Weekend Wishes.

All the best Jan

Rita said...

Really appreciated the bamboo house and the funnies.
I hope you rest and get back to yourself soon! :)

DVArtist said...

I love it when you give us a history lesson.

Lisca said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and well enough to post the museum visit. I enjoyed it immensely. I took some time to read it all. It's so interesting. What an extraordinary man!
Re the cat in the 'funny', I think it is just the stance of the cat and the disappointed look on his/her face at being fined. And also the silliness of a cat getting a fine!
The stamps I bought are not 'forever' stamps as they have the price on them. When the price of postage goes up, I can no longer use them.
Wear a mask in the country? No, I don't wear a mask. It is our land and nobody goes there but us. Our veggie plot is off-road (we use a 4x4 car). I only wear a mask when I go into the village. Graham wears a mask because he has hay fever and the pollen bothers him no end. The mas seems to help when he is out there.
I don't know who took the photo of Daniel getting stuck in the window. Probably his elder brother. (There are three boys: Isaac who broke his arm, Daniel who got stuck in the window, and Joshua, who is the eldest (and the most sensible).
Enjoy your weekend as much you can,
Take care,
Lisca

Hot guys said...

Looks like you've had a nice time at the museum. 🙂

Really love all the photos you shared with us, especially the ones of the small bamboo house. How cute! 💛🤎💛🤎

Jeanie said...

Your trips and posts about the Eisenhower are some of my favorites. I always learn a lot of things! I was especially touched by the little bamboo house that he brought back for Mamie. I would have hated to pack that one but I bet he had a much better "packing situation" than most travelers!