Saturday, May 16, 2020

Black Swans


My dear friend Valerie gave me permission to use this and another photo today.  I want to talk about Black Swans and Valerie's visit to her park triggered this post.

I realize some of you have seen this post, or at least the photos before, but I think it needs repeating.

The black swan caught my attention (and imagination) when I saw this swan image in a magazine.  I decided to make the background look like the black swan's wings in flight, since there is white underneath the black feathers.  Originally native to Australia, hunted to extinction in New Zealand, and coveted by some towns in Great Britain, these swans have an even deeper symbolism than their seemingly mythical beginnings.

As long ago as ancient Greek writings, black swans were assumed to not exist.  All "known" swans were white.  When discovered in Australia in 1697, the term Black Swan soon became well known, reaching England, where many pub owners named their English pubs "Black Swan."

And then there's the British saying "All his swans are turned to geese," which means a person's expectations were set too high.  Some poets and writers then turned that saying around to "All his geese are swans," which implies people place too much importance on their possessions.

Another myth, propagated by short sighted individuals, claims Black Swans are as dangerous and evil as black cats.  Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake adds credence to that myth, since the evil antagonist (Odile) is a black swan to the protagonist (Odette), a white swan.


Of course, what I think of when I hear the word "Black Swan" comes from my days as a scientist and statistician.  On a normal bell curve, the very ends of the curve are known as "outliers," or those extreme numbers (observations) that fall so far away from the center of the curve they are considered either random events, or measurement error.  If they are statistically improbable, they are sometimes usually called "Black Swans."  Examples of recent Black Swans include 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon that brought New York City and the airplane industry to their knees, the global financial crisis of 2008 that wreaked global havoc to the world's monetary system, and the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2011 that took its toll on both human and many species lives dependent upon that body of water.

In 2007, Nassim Nicholas Taleb wrote a book entitled The Black Swan.  Later that year in a New York Times article, he explained his concept of Black Swans:
What we call here a Black Swan (and capitalise it) is an event with the following three attributes. First, it is an outlier, as it lies outside the realm of regular expectations, because nothing in the past can convincingly point to its possibility.  Second, it carries an extreme impact. Third, in spite of its outlier status, human nature makes us concoct explanations for its occurrence after the fact, making it explainable and predictable.
Could the corona virus be considered at Black Swan?  Is it an outlier, because nothing in the past can point to its possibility?  Does the corona virus carry an extreme impact?  And finally, in spite of its outlier status, have we found a way to justify close to 90,000 deaths in the United States and nearly 308,650 world wide deaths so far? 

By the time I go to bed tonight, the number of deaths will have changed dramatically.  I guess I can justify it by saying we didn't (and still don't) have enough  tests, we have mixed signals coming out of our administration, and we were hopelessly unprepared, even with ample warning this would be a pandemic.

I now give you my interpretation of this anomaly known as Black Swans.  Materials used: magazine images, black paint, black lace.

And finally,

I give you Valerie's black swans (sans capital letters) with their family in tow.

Thanks for these photos, Valerie.  Had you not showed these, I might not have been prompted to think of COVID-19 as a Black Swan.  And thanks to everyone for stopping by.  I'm very grateful to each of you for understanding why I'm so late visiting each of you.

18 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful black swan, love these photos of our nature and capture their peacefulness...x

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting post and journal page. The black swans are certainly something different, but I don't want to think of them together with Covid 19, which is certainly not beautiful. The lack of tests is bad, it's similar here, and we have all had to listen to so much misinformation in these past weeks. Here the numbers are sinking, so I hope that will soon be the case over there. Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

A very thoughtful post and beautiful image. I had never heard of the symbolism of the black swan before. As to Covid-19 being a black swan, the effects of this virus shares similarities with the repercussions of the Spanish Flu Pandemic 1918-1919. So if an incidence happens one time, it's an outlier or a Black Swan, but what if it happens again? We're not really good at learning our history.

Barbara said...

A magnificent creature that deserves our admiration.

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I loved reading about black swans. I didn't know they were so rare in the world before their discovery Down Under. I'm not sure I have ever seen one except in valerie's photos. And nice connection to Covid-19. I don't know if Covid -19 is as much an outlier as something many medical people and microbiologists have been waiting for and yes, if you go by the saying, it is a black swan. They didn't know when or where but have been expecting something like it for many years now. Obama even had things in place for the next pandemic. And I think the black swan is beautiful and it gives me shudders to compare things to that are awful. Not you comparing but a general way it is done. I did enjoy reading this post, black swan phrase or not. (That phrase is one I hadn't heard of before so I've learned a lot new here.) Have a super Saturday my friend. Hugs-Erika

sheila 77 said...

Oh very interesting, Elizabeth. I'm pretty sure we heard Taleb at the Book Festival and certainly bought his book. This current event is certainly to be considered as a Black Swan but I loved the way you showed us the real Black Swans too, so beautiful and harmless themselves.
I hope this post means you are feeling a lot better,
Love,
Sheila

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, this an interesting post and I had not heard of the black swan used in this way I don't think anybody is "ready" for a pandemic it evolves-and we react to it. I stopped watching news as most of it is not the truth-so we have been watching everything live to get the information from the source.
I like CJ's answer
hugs kathy

Meggymay said...

A really interesting post with your thoughts on the black swan in relation to the current virus situation. The page you created looked amazing. I've never seen a black swan, but have enjoyed seeing your work here and the photos over at Valerie's as well.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I've seen black swans at our zoo. I don't think Covid-19 is a Black Swan. It _was_ predicted and a pandemic of this nature was always known to be inevitable -or at least likely and worth preparing for, especially considering the pandemics of the past. It's more a sign of things to come, I think, a portent.

Lowcarb team member said...

Those photographs are lovely aren't they …
You've certainly given us an interesting post sharing your thoughts on the black swan in relation to the current Covid 19 situation...

I do like the page you created, very nice.

Hope you are now feeling a lot better, enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Hot guys said...

Those photos of swans are simply stunning! 💚🤍💚🤍

Also, your cats are adorable! 💯

DVArtist said...

This is a fabulous post. I enjoyed reading it very much. I would say a word or two or three about the situation with covid but, I am trying to continue with my nice day.

Caty said...

What an Amazing Art journal page Elizabeth !! This black swan is really beautiful. Great photographs too, and very interesting all the information about black swans, they are lovely.
I wish you a very nice Weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

Iris Flavia said...

The black swan is a symbol of my second home, Perth.
I was so happy to see them at Valerie´s, too, as we do have white swans only over here, and that´s just some .. 400km!

Sami said...

I know how you love the black swan Elizabeth. You've created an interesting page too.

Jeanie said...

The black swans are so striking. I've never seen one in person and I would love to! beautiful photos, each and every one!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful photos from Valerie and I'm loving your journal page - gorgeous 😁. Interesting concept too. I hope you had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

When ever I see the black swan I always think of Valerie and the fabulous pictures she share's. What a great read and so informative but I too like to think of them as a thing of beauty, not this wretched virus.. will our lives ever be the same again..!!
Sorry to read below that you have nit been well at all Elizabeth, I hope you are now feeling better take good care in these worrying times hugs Tracey xx