Monday, May 18, 2020

Bloom


It seems like forever and it has been since I joined Art Journal Journey and our host this month, Mia, who you may know as Craftartista, my dear friend who lives in Greece

Mia's theme for May is Flowers.

Several years ago, a friend sent me this card made by a nine year old child.  I was so impressed, I kept the card to use someday in my art.  That day was today.

I added the word Bloom and sewed around the card and framed it with more thread.

I started by creating this background using two colors of green Staz-on reinkers and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I used very little alcohol, because I'm hoarding rationing my supply.  I suspect it is still scarce at the pharmacies, too.  I applied it using a foam brush.  When dry, which took about as long as it took to write this sentence, I affixed the card and sewed it in place using variegated thread.  It looked a bit plain to me, so I added the frame, also made from the same thread.  Finally, I found a green pen that matched the background and wrote the word "Bloom," the title of this post, too.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me today.  I want to apologize for not visiting all the wonderful artists who have contributed to Art Journal Journey this month.  I have tried to play catch-up, but because I am still not well and simply can't sit for any length of time at the computer like I normally do, I am woefully behind visiting.  My sincere apologies to everyone of you great mixed media artists and Mia, too.

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a gorgeous page, that kid was talented, and it was a lovely idea to use the card for your page. Nice sewing, too. Fun idea to be hoarding alcohol! Have a great day, take care, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Lovely flower page! So elegant and delicate.
I'm sorry reading that you have been ill, and now glad you are recovered.
Wising you a wonderful, healthy new week xx

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful selection of wonderful colours and what a fabulous image used.xx

nwilliams6 said...

Hope you feel better soon! Your flowers are super delicate and beautiful and I love the sewing. Take care of yourself - that is what is important!!!!

Mae Travels said...

Your flowers are lovely. I hope you feel better very soon!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Mia said...

Elizabeth, please do not worry about visiting and commenting right now. Your health is the priority. All your blogging friends (including me) perfectly understand. You will visit us again when you can, not earlier. OK, sweetie?
As for your page, I simply LOVE it. And yes, it is incredible that these lovely flowers are made by a 9 years old. Your stitching is a great embellishment on your green background. Hugs, my dear friend.

Mia said...

And: THANK YOU SO MUCH for joining my challenge at AJJ!!!!!!!!

My name is Erika. said...

I am impressed by the card too. It makes the perfect centerpiece of this page. I like how you stitched it down. Beautiful piece my friend, and it is perfect for Mia's theme. Have a super Monday and see you later for T. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Pretty card! Thx for the invite to add my painting to AJJ. I didn’t know canvases were welcome. I may do that!

CJ Kennedy said...

Very pretty and I like the variegated stitching on the edge. Hope you are feeling better.

magiceye said...

Looks so pretty.

Nancy said...

How nice to use the child's artwork- it's really very pretty and appealing.

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a talented kid :) Pretty flowers and a nice way to highlight them.

Jeanie said...

I love that card. It's hard to believe it was done by a nine-year-old. The work is very mature. The way you adapted it for your art really works. That turquoise matting sure works well.

Caty said...

This is a Wonderful page Elizabeth !! I really like very much this child ´s card, it´s so happy and fresh. Love the way you have framed it.
Have a very happy new week, and big hugs
Caty

Nicole/DVAtist/Beadwright said...

Wow! I absolutely love this piece. Something about the colors, the abstractness of it, the spindly black stems. It all works.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

VERY nice piece Elizabeth; bright, cheery and a welcome sight to one's eye !!! :) ♥♥♥

Halle said...

Oh my gosh...I love this page. The loose watercolor feel...the stitching...the colors. YES!

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful-I love to recycle special cards too

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is really a beautiful card from the boy and now she has got a marriage place.
The journal is wonderful!
Greetings Elke

Meggymay said...

Oh my, this is a gorgeous flower card Elizabeth. I can see why you wanted to use it on a journal page, the flowers look so delicate and could be gently moving in a breeze.
Look after yourself.
Yvonne xx

RO said...

Such a colorful and pretty new offering for your journal page. Flowers remind us that the summer and bees are coming soon. Lots of air hugs, RO

craftytrog said...

I love how you altered that beautiful card Elizabeth! xx

Susan Kane said...

Wow. Such creativity in one mind!

Thanks for sharing this. I needed this.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Elizabeth! I love that you kept the card made by a child and used it to make such a beautiful work of art. Perfect for the flower theme! Your stitching looks amazing here. I hope you are healthy and safe! HUGS!!!

Neet said...

That is so pretty and I love how you so often incorporate stitching into your work. Something I would like to do but never seem to achieve. It will serve as a constant reminder of the beautiful art of a child.
Stay safe and get yourself right without worrying about commenting.
Hugs, Neet xx