Friday, March 20, 2020

Friday Smiles 363: back to the Eisenhower Museum


I'm so glad I had the chance to visit this museum.  Plus, it's nice I can look back on photos and relive the day.

Recently, I received a notice that this year's Smithsonian Museum Day would be April 4.  I found a museum I wanted to visit, talked my friend Sally into going, and printed my ticket.  Days later, I received another letter from Smithsonian Museum Day.  All activities have been canceled and all tickets are invalid until this COVID-19 virus is under control.  Even the Smithsonian has been shut down until further notice.

Today we are returning to the Eisenhower Museum.  Let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles and discover more of the museum.

Last time we left off with Ike in charge of the Transcontinental Motor Convoy.  It was meant to test the preparedness for mobilization and the need for improved roads in the nation. You may recall, the convoy averaged only 5 mph from Washington, D.C., to San Francisco.  During this time, Ike demonstrated the same care and responsibility for the men who became part of this convoy as he had when preparing them for war.  

Several of you commented last time that Icky was a horrible name or nickname to put on a child.  Sadly, Icky never got to suffer that fate, since he died from scarlet fever and meningitis.

“There’s no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were.”
~ Dwight D. Eisenhower 


After the convoy was completed, Ike assumed duties again at Camp Meade, Maryland, commanding a battalion of tanks.  He remained there until 1922.  It was during that time, he and Mamie lost Icky.
Ike and Mamie's second child was born in 1922 in Denver.  

From 1920, Eisenhower served under a succession of talented generals, including Pershing and MacArthur.  However, the most influential on Ike was Fox Conner. 

Ike served under him in Panama.

While Ike was learning the art of war in Panama, Mamie had her own battles to fight.

He first became executive officer to General Conner in the Panama Canal Zone, where, joined by Mamie, he served until 1924.  Under Conner's tutelage and guidance, he studied military history and theory. 

On Conner's recommendation, from 1925 to 1926 he attended college at Fort Leavenworth, KS, where he graduated first in a class of 245 officers.
 



Ike served as a battalion commander at Fort Benning, GA until 1927.


In 1928, Ike and Mamie


spent a year in Paris, France.

That's where we'll pick up next time.

Here are a few signs that were lost in translation:

In a Bucharest hotel lobby:
The lift is being fixed for the day. During that time we regret that you will be unbearable. 

In a Belgrade elevator:
To move the cabin, push button for wishing floor. If the cabin should enter more persons, each one should press a number of wishing floor. Driving is then going alphabetically by national order.

In a Paris hotel elevator:
Please leave your values at the front desk.

In a hotel in Athens:
Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours of 9 & 11 am daily.

In a Yugoslavian hotel:
The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the chambermaid.

In the lobby of a Moscow hotel across from a Russian orthodox Monastery:
You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers, artists, and writers are buried daily except Thursday.

In an Austrian hotel for skiers:
Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of ascension.

On a menu in a Swiss restaurant:
Our wines leave you nothing to hope for.

On a menu of a Polish hotel:
Salad a firm’s own make; limpid red beer soup with cheesy dumplings in the form of a finger; roasted duck let loose; beef rashers beaten up in the country people’s fashion.

In a Tokyo hotel:
Please take advantage of the chambermaids.

In a Hong Kong supermarket:
For your convenience we recommend courteous, efficient self-service.

That's it for me today.  I'll share more of these fun signs next week, too. I'm still getting kicked off the internet, even after the new cables and line were installed. Until next week, let's see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles. 

29 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have a fun day and hope the internet doesn't kick you too hard! Valerie

Helen said...

Always good to pop back to the museum, shame you won't be able to get there for a while. Love the funnies, translations are a hoot!

Iris Flavia said...

It is sad. If people behaved it would maybe be possible to still visit the museum.

Oh, what a sad, sad story about Icky, it must be so hard to loose your child like that!

Wow, I think it´s remarkable how much he traveled! Panama!!! Those notes! "Visitors are expected to complain..."?!
The Swiss one, bummer. And help, that duck is loose! You have me laughing here!

Fingers crossed your internet keeps working. Weee, that sounds very annoying! Do you at least get some refund or such?

aussie aNNie said...

Great post but you will not be able to venture out too much for a while, it's isolation over the world, earie....love this one...In a Tokyo hotel:
Please take advantage of the chambermaids.
hugs

Meggymay said...

Another lovely group of photos from your visit to the museum.
We are all getting restrictions on going out, with changes added daily here now as well. Shopping is a nightmare with folk panic buying. Added to that the internet is going to have to cope with much more as folk are working from home. I hope your will be sorted soon.
Take care of yourself Elizabeth
Yvonne xx

Lisca said...

I do hope your internet keeps working. You have had problems for a while. You are very patient with that company. I think I would have changed provider by now.
I loved the visit to the Eisenhower museum. So interesting. What dat did you post the previous installment? I think I might have missed that one because I don't remember the transcontinental thing.
I really feel for them having to lose a child. How awful. Of course, many children (and adults) did die because of the lack of antibiotics.
Poor Mamie, she didn't like Panama. Giant cockroaches and bats! I wouldn't like that either.
I smiled at the story where she couldn't find the brakes on the car. Luckily cars didn't go very fast in those days and Ike was able to jump on.
The bell in the ebony stand is beautiful. I am intrigued as my mum has the same bell on a slightly different stand, but very similar. I must ask her where that came from. Her uncle was in the merchant navy and brought home many beautiful things. Perhaps he was in Panama too.
By the way, you put in the photo twice (of the bell). Was one of them meant to be the sword?
Those funnies got me giggling.In the days when Google translate was very poor or didn't exist even. Even now with such good translating engines, I sometimes get product instructions, so-say in English, but they don't make sense at all. Especially from far eastern countries.
But laughing is the best medicine,
Have a good weekend,
Lisca

Lisca said...

I meant to ask you which date did you publish the previous museum visit.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful photos from your trip there. CT has postponed the primaries to June 2 (they were supposed to be in April). Stay healthy and safe dear Elizabeth.

My name is Erika. said...

I found this interesting. First of all the roads in 1919 must have been horrible-never mind drive a convoy across them. No wonder Eisenhower really pushed for the interstate highway system during his presidency. And I had read once that Mamie was was a stickler for clean. I guess if spiders jump off the door at you you would be that. I couldn't read thee chasing bats very well but that title caught my eye. Thanks for the trip today. It is dark and rainy and I need to spend time on my computer again for work. I can honestly say I am not in the mood today, but I will rise up and do it. Happy FRiday. Hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, loving the translations as they reminded me of a friend we have in France. She has a bar up on the mountains where we ski and every time we go we have to read through the signs they put up and I can tell you the translations always make us laugh. Enjoyed looking round the museum too and love that little bell, I could do with one of those to ring when dinners ready. Take care and have a nice weekend, Angela xXx

Let's Art Journal said...

So nice to visit the museum with you today, so interesting! We have had many closures due to the virus here too, better to be safe than sorry 😀. Wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Stay safe and healthy! Hugs, Jo x

Annie said...

Sorry to hear your museum visit has been posponed....lets all hope this madness stops soon and normal life returns quickly. Your funnies really had me chuckling...although with some I had to think carefully to see what was really meant.
Hugs,
Annie x

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for letting us tag along to the museum. Ike was one of our true American heroes.
My son had scarlet fever. Thank God we had antibiotics.
Enjoyed the funnies.
Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Sandra Cox said...

PS Hope your internet stays healthy.

Divers and Sundry said...

I always enjoy my virtual museum visits that you host :) Thank you for such a informative trip.

This Plague will be with us a while, I'm thinkin'. All our restaurants/bars have been closed except for carry-out and drive-through. Memphis in May is postponing 'til some TBD date. I'm pretty much staying in. I hope you stay well and that your internet allows you reliable social distancing social opportunities :)

mamapez5 said...

Elizabeth: It is so good that you have all these photographic memories to look back on while the real museums are closed.
Your badly translated signs made e smile. We see a lot of those out here, especially on restaurant menus. Kate x

CJ Kennedy said...

another interesting tour of the museum. So sad about the loss of their child. Eisenhower is the first president I remember. Too bad we don't have leaders like that today.

Also appreciated the loss in translation. Thanks for the smiles.

DVArtist said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. It might be good for all us that have museum and art gallery photos to share right now.

froebelsternchen said...

I do hope your internet keeps working.
We have much more restricions here going on Elizabeth! Believe me.
But better to be safe than sorry!
Stay healthy!

Lisca said...

Thanks for the link to the previous installment of the Eisenhower museum. Yes, I did miss it somehow.
I have now read it and commented.
Thanks again.

kathyinozarks said...

thank you for sharing more of this museum-I am enjoying learning more

Jeanie said...

You really maxed out the Eisenhower museum, and I'm glad you did. I really do enjoy these posts and learn a great deal reading them. YOu've put a lot of work into them and well told, all! Loved the lost in translation, too!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I have come to comment on Rain's Art Date, but since I am so late I took in your Friday post as well. Your black and white studies are great ... love your kitty and your photos. I especially like the cars on the expressway ... striking. I think I may get out my black paper and experiment ... well done:)

As for your Eisenhower history, I grew up under his leadership and adored him. I didn't realize he had lost a son (so sad), probably because I was a kid and nobody talked about it with me. His experiment on our roadways led to the development of our expressway systems. Something he is also remembered for ... his brilliant leading of the troops in WWII was, of course, his greatest accomplishment. And your signs are a stitch ... lol! Always enjoy my visits with you :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

craftytrog said...

Great photos, and thanks for the laughs Elizabeth! 😂
Happy Friday,
Alison xx

RO said...

It's always interesting to see what's at the museum, and I'm still laughing out loud at your funnies.(lol) Hope you're feeling well dear Elizabeth. Hugs, RO

Susan Kane said...

What? What? Those translations were left for tourists' entertainment, maybe? Every one was better than the last.

Ike was one of those men who stepped into a hellish time and changed history. Not every president can claim that.

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful pictures and I learned a lot! We think that times now are bad, but there have been worse times. The plagues, the Great depression, TB, polio, scarlet fever, the Spanish Flu, Hitler, the wars, etc. Giant cockroaches jumping from the tops of doors - that is pretty scary as well. Loved your post!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a lovely (and sad )insight into the life of the Eisenhowers in that part of the museum! Some very funny Funnies too! Hugs, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

Those personal stories always give you such an insight into public figures. I didn't know the Eisenhowers had lost a son (or if I did, it's lost in the mists of time) - particularly chilling at this moment. Glad you still have these visits stored up to remember and enjoy while the Smithsonian sensibly closes its doors.

And thank you for several belly laughs with the faulty translations - always a favourite source of humour for me. Hope you are staying safe, internet or no internet.
Alison x