Friday, March 6, 2020

Friday Smiles 361: I'm back


I can't believe how long it's been since I was here.  It seems like forever.  I know a few of you have stopped by while I was on hiatus from Friday Smiles.  I was host of Art Journal Journey, and my theme was Hearts.  I created a new journal page every day in February.

Today we are returning to the Eisenhower Museum.  It was way back on January 10, Friday Smiles 353, when we last visited this museum.   You may remember that Ike was now married to Mamie and they had their first son, Doud, nicknamed “Ikky.”   Let's join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles and discover more of the museum.

Today we will cover the years 1918 through 1919.


This is the time of war and peace.  In 1918, on Ike's 28th birthday, he was made a temporary lieutenant colonel.


This is son Doud, or Ikky, shown at Camp Colt.



Ike was first stationed at Camp Meade, where he learned about and commanded troops with heavy tanks, while George Patton was in charge of light tanks. 

You can read here how they were both nearly court-martialed.


Next, Ike was sent to Camp Colt in Gettysburg.




This is where Ike began to make his mark and set himself apart from his equals.




Ike was primarily responsible for this cross country convoy.


I believe that this trek across the country, along with how well developed roads were in Europe, gave impetus to Ike's decision to create our (USA) Federal Highway System.

That's it for me today.  No time to type in funnies.  I'm trying to get this out in time.  I'll try to do better next week.  Until then, let's see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles. 



21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Such a lot to see at the museum! Have a wonderful Friday, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Wow.. so interesting there!
Happy Friday!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, that poor boy hopefully never went to Germany. "Ikky" would be like "ewwww" over here!

Oh. It must be great to look up to a former president.
Only one comes to mind a wee bit here, Helmut Schmidt, who really made the right decision in 1962 when the North Sea flood of 1962 hit.

These days... Merkel??? Trump??? Putin, Erdogan??? Just run.

aussie aNNie said...

Most interesting, I love museums..xx

Annie said...

It's good to see you back...you've been missed. Thanks for sharing the museum.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, this museum must be massive there always seems to be something different to see. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Words and Pictures said...

Golly - it's been such a long time since I've been here too!! Thank you for sharing another interesting exhibition with so many artefacts on display. I'm off to catch up with some of the artwork I've missed lately...
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

Today's part of the exhibit was very interesting. I like how Mamie considered herself an equal to her husband. A woman ahead of her time.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I enjoyed the visit back to the museum-learning more about him with each visit. I agree with CJ in regards to Mamie Happy Friday

mamapez5 said...

It is nice to see you back Elizabeth. You should make scrapbooks of all these photos so you can revisit them from time to time. I loved the sign about the roads varying from moderate to non-existent. We have a few of those here in rural Spain. Kate x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, I'm not sure I could make a post and create art for everyday of a month - amazing! You did such a great job hosting the Hearts challenge at AJJ last month, I really enjoyed joining in the fun - thanks so much 😁. So nice to look around the museum with you too! Sending you smiles for a Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Jeanie said...

I question the wisdom of naming a boy Doud in the first place (I know, family name -- but put it in the middle!) but Ikky is just too cruel. I can't imagine the bullying today that would come with this. Of course, it probably came then, too, but no one called it bullying...

Divers and Sundry said...

None of my family fought in WW2 and none died in the 1918 pandemic, but I've heard stories about what it was like back then. The museum has fascinating displays.

Divers and Sundry said...

oops! WW1! not 2 lol

da tabbies o trout towne said...

my dad would have truly enjoyed seeing this museum !!!

thanx for sharing and happy weekend :) ☺☺♥♥

Karen said...

Hi! I read your post from my reading list but your not linked to Friday smiles yet(?!) I found that site and joined it because of your post ~ We all need more smiles! Great museum, photos and documentation. Have a fun weekend!

Karen said...

I take that back! I found you ~ you were first and since I had read it, it wasn't highlighted anymore ~ sorry for the confusion!

Meggymay said...

You have shared another wonderful visit to the museum Elizabeth and I am in awe of the clear photos you took when you were there. It is hard I know to get clear reflection free photos and you have done this so well.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

This is a very interesting post dear Elizabeth !! This was a great museum visit. We always can learn a lot looking at the photographs. Thanks so much for sharing.
I wish you´ll enjoy your weekend, big big hugs
Caty

My name is Erika. said...

Hurrah to be back. I was hoping to see more of the museum. Did you get an email saying there was another free museum day in April this year. Not sure if I will participate then but I found that interesting. Hugs-Erika

Lisca said...

Yes, I had missed it somehow. Thanks for the link.
What an interesting career. Of course I didn't know any of this. Just like the fact that Winston Churchill developed tanks in Britain and had to 'fight' for this innovation to be accepted by his peers. Very interesting.
Mamie must have been quite a woman! I admire her.
Thanks for sharing.