Sunday, October 27, 2019

Monday Murals: Mead Crossing the Arkansas


I'm joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. I've decided to post at my regular time, but please be aware that Sami's mural linky doesn't go live until 11:00 a.m. my time.

This mural is called Mead Crossing the Arkansas.  Granted, the motorcycle looks out of place in front of this mural found just north of the intersection at Douglas and Cleveland in Wichita, Kansas (USA).  It is on the side of the AdvantEDGE Quality Cars building.  This was painted by Brickmob, the same person who gave us WichiKitty a couple of weeks ago. 

This mural shows the true Wichita spirit, as it depicts both the Wichita skyline and the Wichita flag.  I believe it's also a play on the bathtub races Wichita has (or at least had) during Riverfest, our annual spring event that focuses on and around the Arkansas River.

So who was Mead and why was he so important in the history of Wichita, KS?  In May 1859, James R. Mead began his journey westward to Kansas Territory.  Once in Kansas he established several trading posts, one being in 1864 between the Little and Big Arkansas Rivers.

Remember, at the confluence of these two rivers is where our Keeper of the Plains, a huge metal sculpture created by Blackbear Bosin, is located and less than two miles from where I live.

Mead was the first white settler in what is now Wichita.  During this time Mead was actively hunting and trading with the Indians who lived in the area.  He also became good friends with Jesse Chisholm.  Mead was an avid record keeper.  He wrote that Chisholm was the first to forge a trail through the region and it was for that reason the Chisholm Trail was named for him.

Mead was involved in many business ventures, which included real estate, cattle (also depicted in this mural), mining, and banking.  He was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives and later to the Kansas Senate.  Mead saw big possibilities in Wichita, and that is why he decided to settle here.  I wonder what he would think of this mural

created for Avenue Arts Days two years ago.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun mural and interesting to read that it has a special meaning for Kansas. I love the Keeper of the plains. Have a great Sunday, Valerie

Helen said...

what a great mural and thanks for sharing the story. Glad you enjoyed the last visit to Kew with Chihuly! I imagine it took them 2-3 days to plant up the beds outside the Palm House. (btw I did share all the glass pieces names way back in April when I first saw them but we've been several times (ahem) since then and obviously didn't repeat them all every visit!)

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Elizabeth, I´m sorry, but the statue sure "beats" the mural! Wow, it is stunning!
Great perspective, perfect light.
Thank you for telling the story of both, too.

R's Rue said...

Love

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I enjoyed reading about the history-Love the mural-the motorcycle actually looks kinda cool sitting there-difference in time periods shown. I really love the statue too
Have a good Sunday Kathy

RO said...

The mural is magnificent, and always love when you share the history tied to everything. So much to learn for sure. Hope your Sunday is amazing! Hugs, RO

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed learning more of the history of your city. The idea of the bathtub races made me smile. How fun! The Keeper of the Plains is quite magnificent, too.

My name is Erika. said...

I love this mural and I even like the bike in front of it. It puts time into perspective. But I especially loved the story about settling Wichita. I didn't realize it was at the confluence of those 2 rivers. There are so many big rivers who names I have heard of but aren't really sure exactly where they go to. Thanks for sharing. It is fascinating to read about. Happy Sunday! Erika

Mia said...

I love graffiti art, Elizabeth. And this mural is great! Hugs, my friend.

Divers and Sundry said...

The murals depicting historic figures are wonderful to give a sense of place :) People should be encouraged to know their history, and this looks like just the encouragement I'd need to start googling ;) Thanks for providing background that I'm sure most locals already know. Cool!

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful! Happy ne week ahead dear Elizabeth!

Rita said...

I especially love that Keeper of The Plains sculpture! :)

Tom said...

...I like the motorcycle park in front! Interesting that the boat is powered by cattle.

Bertiebo said...

Very interesting and a great mural. And just like Tom said: I like the motorcycle in front!

Mrs.B said...

That's such an interesting story behind the mural, Thanks for sharing,
Avril xx

Sami said...

Lovely mural Elizabeth and thanks for the background story too.
Are the boats pulled by cows?
The statue of Mead is beautiful and I like the way it was photographed.
Thanks for contributing Elizabeth.

Lisca said...

What a great mural. Thank you for telling me about Mead. Very interesting.

RedPat said...

The mural is a good one but that sculpture is amazing! And the pic of it is super!

Jeanie said...

That's cool! I never heard of Mead. I love the mural and especially the oxen pulling him along in the water.

Linda said...

That metal sculpture is stunning!

Words and Pictures said...

Another great mural - so cool that it tells the stories of local history too - and I thought the motorbike looked rather good posed in front of it. The metal sculpture is amazing.
Alison x

Caty said...

Fantastic mural Elizabeth !! Love to know the so interesting story of Mead, thanks so much for sharing. This sculpture is amazing.
I wish you a great day ! biiig hugs,
Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

The motorcycle is a good modern link between old and new! Love the mural and another great history lesson from you! I always love to see the Keeper of the Plains! Chrisx