Saturday, September 28, 2019

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies



My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  Some I've even seen more than once!  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.  I'd be interested to know how Birgit would review

Serenity.

This is the only DVD I own.  After I raved about wanting to see the film, my foodie friend Sally bought me the DVD for Christmas in 2005.  Yes, the one and only DVD I own.

I actually have Divers and Sundry to thank for hitting me over the head with this pick because a few weeks back she cited a reference to Firefly, the ill fated TV series on which this movie is based.  Had she not mentioned Firefly, I wouldn't have realized I could review Serenity.  It doesn't hurt that I have a huge crush on Nathan Fillion, either. 

A few of the specifics: released in 2005; rated PG 13; considered action, adventure, and science fiction; written and directed by Joss Whedon who gave us Buffy, Angel, and Firefly.

The cast included Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau, Morena Baccarin, Jewel Staite, Sean Maher, and Ron Glass.  All nine principal cast members from the television series renewed their roles for the movie.  Chiwetel Ejiofor, David Krumholtz, and Tamara Taylor were not part of the original crew of Firefly, but played crucial roles in the movie.


Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus is:
Snappy dialogue and goofy characters make this Wild Wild West soap opera in space fun and adventurous.
The critics called it a soap opera, but I heard (or possibly read) it was called a western space drama and a space opera.  There's nothing soapy about it, in my belief.  And if it's a Whedon film, it revolves around family, even if that family is a bunch of misfits living on a Firefly class spaceship.

Rotten Tomatoes also has a decent synopsis of the film. 
A band of renegades on the run in outer space get in more hot water than they anticipated in this sci-fi action-adventure adapted from the television series Firefly. In the 26th century, the galaxy has been colonized by a military force known as the Alliance, but its leadership has not gone unquestioned. The Alliance was once challenged by a league of rebels known as the Independents, but the Alliance emerged victorious after a brutal civil war, with the surviving Independents scattering around the galaxy. Also wandering the edges of the galaxy are the Reavers, who have won few allies due to their violent behavior.
We have Joss Whedon to thank for this film.  He was responsible for giving us die-hard Firefly fans final closure after Fox yanked Firefly from the airways with so many threads hanging, arcs dangling, and questions unanswered.

Thanks for visiting today.  I hope you can find Serenity on the internet or possibly on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.  I have my own copy, something I can't say about any other film I've ever seen.  It's a great way to spend Saturday Afternoon at the Movies.


16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry, but not my cup of tea or coffee. I do own a few DVDs, but also some online films I have streamed, but I am not really a film person. Give me a book with some juicy murders any day! Have agreat weekend, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

mmmmm hubby would watch this not me, like Valerie, I like a good mystery who done it movie but each to their own I guess....enjoy,,

Iris Flavia said...

You own but one DVD???! LOL.
We do have "tons" as I dislike the cinema. The tallest guy is right in front of me, the one to the left (Ingo is to the right) eats crunchy stuff, driving me nuts, the guy behind me interprets the movie and the guy beside that is there the second time and tells the ending, nahhhhh....

The last time we were in the cinema was 2014 for Head Full of Honey, a beautiful movie (that I have on DVD and also bought another one to send to an online friend who´s mother suffered Alzheimer´s. She said she couldn´t watch it in one piece - it only came in Germany with English subtitles - she had to cry from pain and from laughing, tears all over).

I don´t know Serenity, but the actor also plays a main role in Castle (he is the main character).

kathyinozarks said...

I am not much of a sci fi fan but my husband probably has seen this one and enjoyed it. I like the actor that was in Castle. I don't remember this being on tv but this sounds like a fun movie-I will watch for it-thanks for sharing Happy Saturday

froebelsternchen said...

Seems to be an interesting film !
Happy Saturday dear Elizabeth!
Susi xxx

My name is Erika. said...

I don't know this film. If this Buffy from the Vampire series? It looks like something I should check out. It's a chilly morning here and I am about to take the dogs out for a morning walk. Waiting to hear what time my company will be arriving. And waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can walk. Happy weekend! hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Probably not for me although I enjoy some si fI films. But thank you, it made me look up the title, and I found another movie with the same Serenity title that does sound good for me! Totally different!

Computer Tutor said...

The only CD? Well you do have me curious about the movie! I may have CDs stuffed in a corner somewhere but I don't have a CD player, not even in my computer. Times they do change!

CJ Kennedy said...

Perfect Saturday afternoon movie! 🍿

Divers and Sundry said...

Yes! This is one of my favorite movies, and the TV series is also a wonderful experience. What a joy it was to have this film to follow the cancellation of the series. Why _do_ they cancel these treasures? :( I think the only people who don't like this movie are those who haven't seen the tv series first ;) and those people don't know what they're missing :)

I have so many DVDs/BluRays that I haven't counted them, and I'm not including the ones The Husband and Younger Son have stored on shelves upstairs lol And that's after I Marie Kondoed my movie/tv collection and got rid of things I knew I'd never re-watch lol

Sandra Cox said...

I hadn't heard of this one. I'll keep an eye out.
YOU have a great weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for answering my questions Elizabeth. You certainly had a bit of a drive to see the Eisenhower library and home. And maybe next year you'll get to the Truman Home and Library. I think that is a good goal. Happy rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I hope this line of tornaadoes is not effecting you-I just saw it as a weather alert Kansas and Missouri line stay safe

Rita said...

I loved Firefly so I couldn't miss the movie, either. :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I didn't watch the series but the movie sounds interesting.

Birgit said...

I am sorry for not seeing this earlier but I had a terrible last week health wise and trying, again, to get back on my feet. I have not watched Firefly but want to and this movie looks like fun. I mean, just look at the poster...If I did this post, i would have to call in and say I have fallen and can't get up. You own only 1 DVD? I think my hubby and I are well over 600