Saturday, July 6, 2019

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies: Young people's request


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.  She has a fun, quirky way of giving an in-depth review.   Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.

As always, there are no "chick flicks," but there is a Disney PG-13 film this week.  I asked the youngsters to pick a film to review that they liked.  It took them awhile to choose, since they all originally had different ideas.  However, in the end, they decided on


I'm sure many of you are familiar with the musical fantasy Mary Poppins.  This is the story of how Mary Poppins actually made it to the big screen.  Released in 2013, it told about P.L. Travers (played by Emma Thompson), the author of Mary Poppins, and her encounters with Walt Disney (played by Tom Hanks) in his pursuit to bring Mary Poppins and other Travers books to the big screen.

I haven't seen it, but the youngsters explained it to me, and we are going to watch it this afternoon.  With a PG-13 rating, I think it's suitable for these very mature young people.  You can rent it, or catch it on Netflix.  I hope you enjoy the film the youngsters chose for our Saturday afternoon enjoyment.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds like a good film. Have a fun time watching it together! Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

This is a good one. It explains so much about Mary Poppins. I won’t spoil it for you but enjoy. Happy Saturday. Hugs Erika

Birgit said...

You will enjoy this very much and listen to the end credits, excellent choice and thanks for the shout out:)

Helen said...

I really enjoyed it, so I hope you and the youngsters do too.

Sandra said...

I haven't seen this one either. Hope y'all enjoy it.
Hugs

CJ Kennedy said...

We saw this in the theater. Knowing the back story of the author, this was a very emotional story, but enjoyable on many levels

Divers and Sundry said...

I haven't seen this one, but it sounds like an enjoyable film :)

Susan Kane said...

It was a good film, we enjoyed it. As always, Tom Hanks and emma Thompson are superb.

Rita said...

Yes, was a good film. Love Tom Hanks. :)

RO said...

Hope you enjoyed the movie. I absolutely adore Tom Hanks! Hugs, RO

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic film and so appropriate to the connection between you and the youngsters!

Jeanie said...

I LOVED this movie. It's really lovely.

Sami said...

I saw it on Tv and enjoyed it very much, hope the kids and you had fun watching this movie too.