Sunday, July 7, 2019

A trip to WAM


I have been to the Wichita Art Museum or WAM twice in the past two weeks.  Once I went with my foodie friend Sally.  Our main objective was to eat at the Muse Cafe.  More on that in a future T Stands For Tuesday.

The second time was when the children and I went last Saturday.  While two of them were walking on the Chihuly Bridge (see them at the top above), the oldest and I were downstairs

taking photos of the underside of the Bridge.

That's the door to the exterior on the left.  I couldn't get completely under the installation because there were so many people there that day.

I'm not sure which day this was taken, because I somehow managed to mix the two days together.  However, I never miss taking a photo of Phil Epp's clouds.  I'll have to sort through the rest to determine which photos go with the children's visit and which go with Sally's and my visit to WAM.

One thing I am completely certain of, however, is that all of the exterior shots were taken the day the children and I went.  Sally isn't an outdoor person, especially in the heat of summer.

At first, I thought these were sail boats, but on closer inspection, noticed it was a ring toss game the youngsters could play.   They were encouraged to do so, and I was thrilled they had fun joining in this activity.  I took lots of photos, but they all went to their aunt, and will never go on my blog.


While the children played, I walked around the edge of the grassy area and took photos of the Echinacea.    I miss mine.  They seeded for years, but sadly haven't reseeded for two years.

As we walked around the area, I noticed 

WAM employees were blocking off the round about.

It gave me the perfect opportunity to see the installation called The Pulse Field.

Its a lot of aluminum light poles scattered across a berm.  The poles are topped with solar lights that turn on and off after dark.

I got a bit carried away.


Really carried away!

While everything was blocked off, I took a photo of the buffalo

and an overall view of where the Buffalo lives.

We were back to the round about, but on the other side from where I had stood before.

It was now time to go inside and appreciate the coolness of the museum.  I believe the Chihuly Bridge photos should have been shown last, but I somehow got everything out of order.

Thanks for joining the youngsters and me at the Wichita Art Museum.  Right before I finished this post, they said they hoped Helen (H) would see this post because they loved seeing her photos of Chihuly at Kew Gardens in London and my photos of Chihuly and his Bridge in Wichita, KS.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

My fave is still the Chihuly Bridge, so beautiful, and the buffalo is great, too. Glad you all had a fun day out. Enjoy your Sunday. Valerie

Helen said...

Of course I have seen them! tell them I love the look of the bridge but it's a shame you didn't/couldn't wait to get to see it fully underneath. not sure if i will go to Hampton Court today, it's wet at the moment..... still deciding!

Dortesjs said...

waue great shots you do get around alot and see things love adventures dont you

aussie aNNie said...

Wonderful and interesting post for me, on this side of the world, the beauty seems else where...lovely.

CJ Kennedy said...

Always nice when the museum has things for the kids to touch and do. I bet it would be pretty cool to see the pulse garden at night. My WAM isn't open that late. That bridge is just spectacular. Looking forward to seeing more of your visit(s)

RO said...

The underside of the bridge is pretty colorful and fabulous, and the pictures of the clouds look wonderful. I'm with Sally and am not a fan of hot weather or the bugs that go with it. God played a horrible trick by allowing me to be born in August instead of January.(lol)Ironically, that's the month my son was born. But all that walking you did to take such great pictures is a perfect way to get in my required 10,000 steps a day. Looking forward to the Tuesday update! Hugs, RO

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like those Chihuly photos. All of your photos are wonderful. I'm glad the children had fun there. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos in your T post.

Divers and Sundry said...

The glass art is gorgeous, isn't it! We had a Chihuly exhibit here at the Dixon one year, and I loved it :)

My coneflowers come back every year but never spread. I'm thinking there's not quite enough sunshine for them. I have the same problem with my yarrow.

It looks like y'all are having a fun time together :)

R's Rue said...

Beautiful photos.

kathyinozarks said...

Loved all the photos sounds like a fun day for the children. I have not had good luck planting echinachea and I love them-on the way to the lake house as we get closer there are large sections of wild yellow echinachea that are so pretty-I knew they came in different colors but didn't know these yellow ones were wild-very pretty. Happy Sunday

My name is Erika. said...

I love those glass designs on the Chihuly Bridge. They never get old to look at so I am glad you shared them again. And I really appreciate Phil Epp's clouds after seeing that big sky in the plains. It is a wonderful painting even before I was reminded of the big skies, which we don't have here with all the trees. And nice bison statue too, especially since I have seen so many a my own bison statue I will have to show you soon. Hope you are having lots of fun with your guests. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

What amazing photos of all the beauty Elizabeth! Fabulous!!!

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad the kids like art and that they could enjoy this place with you. Love the interactive aspects as well as the art itself. Chihuly's work never gets old for me.