Friday, May 31, 2019

Friday Smiles 323, Flower bed update, May and June Calendar pages, AJJ, and update on jury duty


This may be the longest title I have ever written.  I'll start with once again joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  Since Annie is co-hosting the WOYWW crop this year with her sister, she may not have a Friday Smiles.  I'm still planning to visit, none-the-less.   But first, let me update you on my jury duty.

First, you enter a large room where others are already seated.  You show an I.D., like a driver's license or a passport, and show your jury summons.  Then you hurry up and wait.  And wait.  And wait.

We were divided into groups and it was finally my group's turn.  We were seated and briefly explained what the case was about.  No real specifics, just generalities.

Then I was asked a few questions, one of which was why I would not make a good juror (I'm paraphrasing).  I explained I am a blogger who posts every day and hosts two blogs.  I explained that although I realized I wouldn't be allowed to let anyone know if this was a civil or criminal case, or discuss it in any way, I had no way of controlling what questions and comments were left on my blog.  They thanked me and dismissed me. WHEW!!  I was thrilled, since I didn't want to be a part of that particular jury case.  Now on to bigger and better things.

Here are a few funnies I found in my office when I cleaned it last year.

Three guys are convicted of a very serious crime, and they're all sentenced to twenty years in solitary confinement. They're each allowed one thing to bring into the cell with them.
      
The first guy asks for a big stack of books. The second guy asks for his wife. And the third guy asks for two hundred cartons of cigarettes.
      
At the end of the twenty years, they open up the first guy's cell. He comes out and says, "I studied so hard. I'm so bright now, I could be a lawyer. It was terrific."
      
They open up the second guy's door. He comes out with his wife, and they've got five new kids. He says. "It was the greatest thing of my life. My wife and I have never been so close. I have a beautiful new family. I love it."
      
They open up the third guy's door, and he's slapping at his pockets, asking "Anybody got a match?"





One day at the entrance to heaven, St. Peter saw a New York street gang walk up to the Pearly Gates. This being a first, St. Peter ran to God and said, "God, there are some evil, thieving New Yorkers at the Pearly Gates. What do I do?"
      
God replied, "Just do what you normally do with that type. Re-direct them down to hell."
      
St. Peter went back to carry out the order and all of a sudden he comes running back yelling "God, God, they're gone, they're gone!"
      
"Who, the New Yorkers?"
      
"No, the Pearly Gates."





The local bar was so sure that its bartender was the strongest man around that they offered a standing $1000 bet.
      
The bartender would squeeze a lemon until all the juice ran into a glass, and hand the lemon to a patron. Anyone who could squeeze one more drop of juice out would win the money.
      
Many people had tried over time (weightlifters, longshoremen, etc.), but nobody could do it.
      
One day this scrawny little man came in, wearing thick glasses and a polyester suit, and said in a tiny, squeaky voice, "I'd like to try the bet."
      
After the laughter had died down, the bartender said OK, grabbed a lemon, and squeezed away. Then he handed the wrinkled remains of the rind to the little man.
      
But the crowd's laughter turned to total silence as the man clenched his fist around the lemon and six drops fell into the glass.
      
As the crowd cheered, the bartender paid the $1000, and asked the little man, "What do you do for a living? Are you a lumberjack, a weightlifter, or what?"
      
The man replied, "I work for the IRS." (For those of you living in other countries, think of your country's tax auditors and this joke may make more sense).





Now let's head to the Museum of World Treasures and a few slightly more pleasant images today than those I showed last week.

This shows how Americans served and accepted the war in Europe.  Although we in the states suffered losses in Hawaii, technically, it was not yet a state when Pearl Harbor was attacked.  Therefore, we felt the suffering of human (soldier) loss, but not the devastation of civilian, buildings, roads, and entire towns losses like those felt in Europe and Asia.

Puzzles made the world seem a bit smaller.

Children's books helped children better understand what was happening abroad, while they saved to buy war bonds and collect old tires that could be melted down and reused for rubber in vehicles being sent to Europe and the "front."

Everyone was doing their part to conserve.   Some people collected memorabilia, like the silver bracelet made from shrapnel, a German flag, and a Japanese banner.



A pram for babies born during that era was common in Europe, but is no longer used in the states.

Thanks as usual for joining me in the museum today.  I hope you found these photos less disturbing than the ones from last Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join, also.  And don't forget to look for some of the WOYWW crop photos Annie and her sister are hosting tomorrow as they start showing up on various blogs.

It's still raining in my flower bed.  You can see the mud in the street that's been carried by the rain and the "mole hills" of dirt left in the street. 

Note the water has now receded a bit, because it had been pushed into my driveway and yard, along with debris from the street.  This debris was left behind when the water eventually made its way to the swollen and clogged storm drain at the end of the block.

While checking on my flower bed, I noted the surprise lily/naked lady greenery has finally started to die back.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this first rose bud on the bush an aborist friend of mine cut back practically to the ground last year.

Mud was drying and water was standing in the street, while mosquitoes were and are growing like wildfires.  Note my compost bin has now started to overflow with saplings I removed on Monday.  However, I still have not decided on a place for all the rocks.

I took this photo from my porch.

Imagine how pleased I was to see my hosta I thought was dead, was actually coming out of its shock after being transplanted.  Don't see it?  It's right above the word "altered" in my watermark.

But this is what put a HUGE smile on my face.  Now the bud has fully bloomed and another bud has appeared.

It's a delight to see this bush come back to life.

I also wanted to share my completed May calendar, since it's the only day I'll be able to do that.

When I showed this blank May calendar at the beginning of the month, Erika suggested it fit her theme at Art Journal Journey.  I didn't think about it at the time, but decided it DID fit the In the air/In the sky theme.  Thanks, Erika.

This is my June calendar ready to be written in.  Whether you think the smoke coming out of the tug boat is "smoke," or "clouds," they both fit Erika's theme perfectly, too.  The overall theme for June was intended to be travel (now that school is out).

Please remember, my Saturday Afternoon at the Movies is on hiatus tomorrow so I can welcome June's Art Journal Journey guest host.  Don't forget your Second on the 2nd post and the ICAD annual challenge that starts tomorrow.

Once again, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to visit today.  I'll see you at Art Journal Journey and Friday Smiles.  On the other hand, this is the only place you usually see my calendar entries, except this month I'm sharing them with Art Journal Journey.

EDIT: I'm a little late with this request, but please click on Free Kibble today because you will be donating 5 times the normal amount of kibble to both cats and dogs.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you had such a good explanation ready for jury service and I am sure they don't want bloggers! Sorry there is still so much mess on your road and hope it will soon be gone. The flowers are doing well, though. And well done on getting your calendar filed in, you are more organised than I am. I was born the year after the war ended, but grew up in a devastated East London, where our playgrounds were the bombsites and ruins. Valerie

kaybee said...

Always have a chuckle at your Friday smiles! Glad to see water has receded too. I've never been called for jury service, but I must remember what you said if I do!

froebelsternchen said...

Well done on the jury duties Elizabeth and I enjoyed the three "wise" funnies today and the museum's visit. I am always in awe of your filled calendar pages - you know I never can keep a calendar on a daily base. Applause for your calendar issues and applause for the garden - it looks fantastic that all comes along so well in the face of this bad weather conditions lately! The rose just looks wonderful!!!
Happy start of the weekend and thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing all the hard work at AJJ so well and with so much enthusiasm! You are one of my Earth Angels! Take good care of you and hugs to the boys!

Susi xxx

mamapez5 said...

I escaped jury duty once because I was the manager of a nursery/pre-school and my absence would have left us under the legal adult-child ratio.
Thank you for the funnies. They started my day with a smile. xx

Lisca said...

That was a good answer to get out of jury duty. Well done you.
Your garden is looking good. The plants don’t seem to have suffered from all that water. The rose is beautiful. I always hard pruned my roses when I lived in England. I also used some special rose fertilizer and my roses were beautiful.
I really liked your funnies. I’m glad you explained about the tax man, as I wouldn’t have known. They all made me chuckle.
Your calendar is colorful and fun to look at now it’s complete.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Lisca said...

I thought I’d explain the Santa joke. The Japanese shop had Santa crucified on the cross, thus getting it totally wrong.
And while I’m at it: no the stickers weren’t scratch and sniff. I scratched and sniffed but couldn’t smell anything. I’ve never come across them other than in perfume adverts in a glossy magazine.
Bye for now,
Lisca

Annie said...

I've never been called to jury service....it's something I really dont fancy. You're right....I much prefered your photos today and smiled at many of them. I'm pleased to see your flood levels have gone down too. Beautiful rose.
Hugs,
Annie x
I hope I get time to take some pics tomorrow :-)

My name is Erika. said...

Your garden does look a bit waterlogged (that is big puddle or should I say pond at the end of your driveway)but also green and growing nicely. Yahoo for the roses. That is really exciting. Once all your wet weather stops and you get a few days of warmth and sunshine everything is going to grow like crazy. Isn't it fun to see how the garden grows? ANd I love the tugboats on your JUne calendar. And the butteflies on the May page. Thanks so much for all your cool pages and your support this past month. It is really appreciated! You are an art superstar in my book. And the I like the museum photos. For some reason that pram sticks in my head. It kind of reminds me of one my aunt had when I was a kid. I always wanted to crawl in and be pushed around even though I was a little too big for that. Thanks for the smiles too. Have a happy Friday and the last day of May! Hugs-Erka

CJ Kennedy said...

Hopefully your garden will dry out. Wonderful that the hosta survived, and so exciting to see the rose and rosebud. So very pretty. My juror service date is in July. I wonder if I'll be called again. A few years ago, I was impaneled as an alternate juror in a civil case. As I recall, we were seated by number and not asked any questions about why we wouldn't be able to participate.

kathyinozarks said...

i need to remember your explanation for jury duty-a good one. moving to a new county I may get called up.
Your garden looks good considering all the rain-more people getting flooded still-sigh.
I loved your first funny the best-that was a good one.
Happy Friday Kathy

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I thought you might like the photo of Maisie and the Mole hill. She will only pee on the fresh ones and always has a good sniff at the top first to check, what a dog! I had no idea that New Yorkers were like that. Love the museum pics today too. The pram was very common in the UK but not so much now as most people seem to have the type that have car seats and wheels and are now known as A Travel System Lol! Hope your weekend is good and that the mess gets sorted soon, at least your plants are coming back to life. Hugs, Angela xXx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm glad you didn't get chosen for jury duty. I'm surprised they let you out with what you told them. If you said that here in CT, they would've kept you. (I got chosen for jury duty once, despite what I told them, which should've disqualified me, but luckily the civil case settled out of court the day before the trial was supposed to begin.) I'm glad your garden still has plants growing and flowering despite all of your heavy rain. Your calendar pages look lovely. I like the tea cup stamp you use for Tuesdays.

Sami said...

LOL, I must remember your excuse if I ever get called up for jury duty Elizabeth.
Loved the funnies too of course.
Still a bit o water clogging up your street.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never heard of blogging being an "out" for jury duty. Wow!

The displays on the home front are interesting. And much less disturbing, thx :)

It's been drier here lately. Flooding is such a destructive force :( Your garden doesn't seem to have minded. What a gorgeous rose! I always get a warm feeling when I see your new month with tea cups already featured on Tuesdays :) Thank you for your continuing willingness to host us.

Lowcarb team member said...

Well! Like others have also commented, I think this is the first time I've heard of blogging being an "out" for jury service!

I do hope your garden dries out ok. Pleased that your hosta survived, and so lovely to see the rose, they are such a nice flower.

Enjoy the up-coming weekend, and Happy wishes for the month of June, it's nearly here!

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I love that period and the home front exhibit would be just my cup of tea. Oh, your poor garden. I suspect it will recover just fine (maybe even be better for it in the long run) but it's hard to see things beaten down and so muddy, especially when it is all just getting started. Hostas often take up to a year after transplanting to fully revive so good for you. And the rose is just lovely.

I'm going to remember that about blogging if I'm ever asked about it on a jury!

Meggymay said...

What a good answer you gave to the question, it just shows how blogging can help in many situations. although I never thought it would be a way to avoid Jury Duty, definitely an answer to remember.
I enjoyed reading the Friday smiles, the first one really appealed to my humour today.
The museum photos were good, I do like to read about and see how folk remember the war years.
Your garden rose looks beautiful and its good that the hosta survived.
Yvonne xx
Oh I nearly forgot to say that your calendar pages look super as well.

Rita said...

A packed post. In formative, funny, interesting, and fun! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.