Friday, November 23, 2018

Friday Smiles 299: Botanica, part 2


I am once again here for Annie's Friday Smiles. I decided to see how much of the Botanical Gardens in my home town I could see in four hours, in case I decided to spend the $7.00 per person for four hours next summer when the youngsters return.  Although the web site stated 13 and older, when I was at Botanica, the sign read 12 and above.  I wasn't sure if the tween would be a teen by the time we went, I now realized all four of us would be adults.  And in case you wonder, they NEVER offer a free day, ever. 

First let's enjoy a few funnies.

During World War Two, the Germans tried to confuse the Allies by building numerous “decoy” facilities, hoping the enemy would waste time and ammunition attacking the fake targets.
One enemy decoy, built in occupied Holland, led to a tale that has been told and retold ever since by veteran allied pilots.
The German decoy “airfield,” constructed with meticulous care, was made almost entirely of wood. There were wooden hangars, oil tanks, gun emplacements, trucks, and aircraft. The Germans took so long in building their wooden decoy that allied photo experts had more than enough time to observe and report it.
The day finally came when the decoy was finished, down to the last wooden plank. And early the following morning, a lone RAF plane crossed the Channel, came in low, circled the field once, and dropped a large wooden bomb.



I'd stop eating chocolate, but I'm no quitter!


Why your dog can't use computers:

  1. He’s distracted by cats chasing his mouse.
  2. SIT and STAY were hard enough; CUT and PASTE are out of the question.
  3. Saliva-coated floppy disks refuse to work.
  4. Three words: carpal paw syndrome.
  5. Involuntary tail wagging is a dead give-away that he’s browsing www.purina.com instead of working.
  6. The fire hydrant icon is simply too frustrating.
  7. He can’t help attacking the screen when he hears “You’ve Got Mail”.
  8. It’s too messy to “mark” every Web site he visits.
  9. The FETCH command isn’t available on all platforms.
  10. He can’t stick his head out of Windows.


And to provide equal time to cat lovers:

LAW OF CAT INERTIA – A cat at rest will tend to remain at rest, unless acted upon by some outside force, such as the opening of cat food.
LAW OF CAT MOTION – A cat will move in a straight line, unless there is a really good reason to change direction.
FIRST LAW OF CAT ENERGY CONSERVATION – Cats know that energy can neither be created nor destroyed and will, therefore, use as little energy as possible.
LAW OF BAG/BOX OCCUPANCY – All bags and boxes in a given room must contain a cat within the earliest possible nanosecond.
LAW OF FURNITURE REPLACEMENT – A cat’s desire to scratch furniture is directly proportional to the cost of the furniture.
LAW OF CAT COMPOSITION – A cat is composed of Matter + Anti-matter + It Doesn’t Matter.
LAW OF CAT OBEDIENCE – As yet undiscovered.

Now let's head back to Botanica for part 2 of this adventure.

After leaving the Pavilion, which you can see in the background,

we entered one of my favorite areas: Xeriscaping.

The Xeriscape Garden pays particular attention to reducing or eliminating the need for supplemental water from irrigation.   A perfect example is my front flower bed garden.  Whatever water Mother Nature supplies is what my front garden gets.

I am especially interested in this area as I plan my new front garden next spring.

It was suddenly a busy spot and I couldn't keep people out of the photos.

There were tons of plants to look at

and even some that were quite colorful, too.

What I really liked was this garden was built with many low light plants, much like my front garden, too.

Another point is mulching.

Although I don't have to work my way around the boulders like those at Botanica, I spent Wednesday using my lawn mower to mulch the leaves and dying plants in my front garden.  You can't buy that kind of richness, because it is free (except for a bit of gasoline for the mower, that is).





There were SO many ideas I could take away from this garden that I can incorporate into my own, but for now, it was time to move on.

The Xeriscaping Garden led directly to the

Aquatic Collection.

In the Boeing Pond were water lilies, water iris, and water hyacinth.  Sadly, this pond did little to enthuse me.  Perhaps it looks better in spring or summer.

This wall looked like the perfect place

to rest a few minutes in the shade.

I wasn't sure where this path led, but I was now rested and ready to follow it.



There were beautiful flowers

and lovely plants

that were absolutely stunning,

even if it led nowhere at all, except to a dead end.

Upon returning, I saw the Children's Garden was in sight.

I knew this would be a favorite place for the children, so was off to see what it offered.  As I walked closer, I saw the sign, thinking I had now found the Carousel Gardens.

Not so, though.  I won't get to see these gardens until Autumn, 2019.

I think that's enough for today.  Once again, I don't want to overwhelm you with too many photos.  Thanks for joining me today and thanks for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  I know she'll welcome you, just as she did me several years ago.

This is Day 23, and I am also sharing this with Art Every Day Month (AEDM).
 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Great pics of some more of Botanica. I was surprised to see that they charge a fee for a four hour visit - are you not allowed to stay longer, or does the charge increase? Whilst I don't often spend that long at Kew (mainly as I go so often) I am sure if it was a one-off trip I would want to. They just have one charge for however long you stay. Have a great day.

johanna said...

seven bucks for four hours sounds much to me... i love going to the botanical garden in munich (well, free for me so far as a biology teacher - so i´m spoilt of course!), the regular day ticket for an adult is 4,50€. sometimes i spend a whole day there, as in the arboretum there are many benches and i take a book and something to eat with me to take a rest. even in winter you can spend hours in the large greenhouses, actually worth an extra visit. considering this kew garden really is expensive...
ntl, if your pictures remind you of ideas you can adjust to your own garden, it was worth it anyway. have fun with this!
happy thanksgiving day ♥♥♥

Dortesjs said...

allways love your photos and to see where you live or go to ;O)

Meggymay said...

The photos of the gardens looked beautiful, although I think the cost of taking a family is expensive for a 4 hour stay.
I wonder how we can teach our next generations the value of these beautiful areas, if the price of a visit is way out of reach of many families.
Today's funnies had me laughing, I think you will guess for me it was the ones about the dogs and computers were my favourites , however the cats Laws were equally hilarious.
Yvonne xx

Cath Wilson said...

More beautiful photos, Elisabeth - and belated Happy Thanksgiving to you! Hope you had a special day :-)

Cath x

Annie said...

Love the funnies and the photos. as always, were beautiful but what a lot of money to be able to enjoy it. What a shame.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

You had me giggling at your funnies. The one about the wooden decoy is funny too and is clearly a joke. As Holland doesn't have any forests and consequently very little wood, it is highly unlikely that anything large would have been made out of wood. But it is a funny story.
The botanical gardens are beautiful. Yes, they are expensive I think. But if the children have expressed an interest in going there, it would be worth the money.
I'm sure you got much inspiration to design and plan your garden. That was just up your street. I'm sure you have made many many photos so you can remember what to do.
The Carousel garden intrigues me. Will there be a caroussel? I don't spot one on the illustrations.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. The garden photos are lovely but it was the dog and the computer that caught my eye and I have to tell you this tale. Years ago we had a Bearded Collie, being quite big he was able to reach stuff he shouldn't. I got home one evening to find a floppy disc that he had found (If you remember they were inside a casing) he had opened the case and chewed the disc. Now we had a guy at the school where I taught who said he could fix anything relating to computers so I went to him and said that I had a disc that wasn't working and of course he said,"I can fix that" well you can imagine his look when I showed it too him. Needless to say it went in the bin! That was not the only thing that dog got up to but we loved him all the same. Take care and have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the Friday Funnies. Your garden walk was enjoyable. I pretended it was warm instead of the frigid temps outside my front door. The Xeriscape garden was very interesting. There's an area by my front door on the North side of the house that could do with some landscaping. This idea might help as I'm pretty clueless when it comes to gardening. So sad that Botanica doesn't offer a free day or free afternoon. Check with your library to see if they have passes you could use. A lot of libraries here offer free passes to area attractions. You reserve the pass the same way you would take out a book.

Jeanie said...

That garden is quite lovely. I think you'll enjoy a terrific picnic with them there when they come to visit.

Cute funnies! Hope TG was delish!

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous views of the garden visit - much money for 4 hours indeed! What fabulous funnies! Thank you Elizabeth!
Big hugs, Susi

peggy gatto said...

Wow, lovely landscapes!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Love, love love your Botanical garden photos.. I never met one I did not like!! So happy to be home! Wish you were on FaceBook so you could have seen a great photos.. will post some on my blog on Tues. Hope all is well with you!! x

sheila 77 said...

That was a lovely trip through your Botanical Gardens and I could see some ideas for home gardens. Loved the funnies about cats, all so very true, cats have cat-life well sorted, as we both well know.
Have a great weekend and a great week ahead, Elizabeth.

TammyVitale said...

I love the idea of a children's garden. We have the Botanical Gardens here in D.C. and it is lovely, but it really isn't for children. I very much enjoyed seeing all these pictures! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Funny cat and dog bits...Lovely gardens. There is one around here that has art and they charge $15 and can only go once a month. It’s a pretty place there. I guess they need the funds to maintain the gardens. Kids would do well on an organized field trip I suspect. Xox

Sharon Madson said...

Thank you for the Friday smiles. I had to read the dogs ones to hubby. We both laughed out loud. Also thank you for the lovely Botanical Gardens photos. BTW. You commented about my photos of photos at Town and Country; I took them with my iPad. Have a nice weekend!

Rita said...

Too expensive for me for such a limited time. Especially these days where I would have to sit down repeatedly to rest--LOL! ;)

My name is Erika. said...

Oh dreams of summer and green. I recently read about xeriscape gardening. I didn't remember the name until I saw it here. It's a cool idea. And probably a really smart idea too. The gardens must be a popular place, but I can see why. Did you say you were going to redo some landscaping at your home next year? Hope it was a good Thanksgiving and happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I'd pay that to visit that garden once, but not for multiple visits. I think it might be worth a membership for me if I lived there, because I'd want to visit it through the seasons.

RO said...

Wow! The Botanica is so lovely, and would be a great way for me to get in some serious exercise.(lol) Hugs...RO

Eileen Bergen said...

Fun smiles, Elizabeth. I never heard that WWII story. I love the cat laws.

I enjoyed the Botanica pictures too.

See you at T, Eileen

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great funnies and a great tour of these gardens! I'm sure I would love them! Hugs, Chrisx