Tuesday, September 18, 2018

What's On Your Workdesk this 485th Wednesday? Sun printing fabric


This will be my final WOYWW until I can get Mr. Linky working again.  I have once again asked Helen (H) to link me, and she has graciously agreed in true desker friendship, but it's not fair to her to have to do so, especially when others are vying for the # 1 slot.

Several people asked questions about the sun printing I did two weeks ago, I decided to create one more set of prints.  That means my work desk today is my front porch and driveway.  Julia, our desker queen and host at Stamping Ground hopes we will avoid long posts, so I will try to be brief, yet take you through the steps and hopefully answer your questions.

You need something sturdy like heavy cardboard or plastic for your base.  Then you need to cover that with something plastic that will accept water.  Mrs. D (Chris) asked if this technique worked with paper, and I am not sure, but if so, you would need very heavy watercolor paper, probably 300 lb. This weight of paper is like card stock.  300 lb. paper will dry flat without buckling and can take quite a bit of abuse. The reason I say that is because the fabric must be very wet when you start the project and kept wet while you spread the paint around. 

You can buy white cotton, or use an old bed sheet like I've done.  Fabric paints specifically created for sun printing can be purchased, but I use fluid acrylics.  You can water down heavy body acrylics, but DO NOT USE craft paint.  The pigment isn't strong enough.  Because the fabric is wet, the paint will begin to spread.

You can use a brush for each paint color, but I use the same brush for both and allow the colors to blend.  I usually apply three colors, but for this one, I chose only two.  If you are slow, your fabric will begin to dry, so you must add more water.  As you can see, my fabric began to dry, so I had to smooth the fabric out after I had painted it.

Once your background is to your liking, add your MASKS.  DO NOT USE STENCILS because they leave many white spots. 

It's now time to place the fabric in the heat.  Although it is called "sun printing," you don't actually need sun.  You DO NEED HEAT.

Be sure your masks are laid flat against the fabric.  Any element that isn't flat will not print, like the tail on the top right metal rocking horse.

Be sure it's not windy when you sun print your fabric,

or you'll find the fabric stuck to the plastic support and flipped upside down in the grass like I found this side.  You can tell some of the rocking horses were lost before the fabric under them dried, leaving shadows or ghosts.

The idea behind this is for the exposed fabric to dry quicker than the fabric under the mask.  The heat then slowly draws or wicks the paint slowly from under the mask, leaving the imprint, in this case some of my flat rocking horses.

It was obvious the rocking horse cookie cutter was not right for the job, because there was not enough surface to call it a true mask.  Stacy asked why we should not use stencils. When the paint is wicked away, all that is left are large blobs of white or whatever background color you started with.


What surprised me most was when I tried to color compensate this piece of fabric, I noticed the textured harlequin pattern embedded in the sheet.   Possibly a bonus, possibly a distraction.  I suspect you noticed the rocking horses I shared in this post that were from my collection!

Thanks for visiting today.  Your visit is always welcome, even though I can't leave comments to those on some G+ blogs, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook.  For everyone else, I'll be by to visit, although I seem to be playing nothing but catch up lately.  If you are coming from Julia's, please leave your number.  And Julia, please forgive me for this extra long post.

41 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

you got some good results, despite your sheet being blown away... great tutorial, and I will link you as soon as the post is up! Helen #?

Sarah Brennan said...

Hope you manage to get Mr Linky working Elizabeth. Thanks for the step by step with all the learning by trial and error. Sarah #4

Neet said...

Love your sun painting - amazing to see all those rocking horses gathered together. You always do such good tutorials.
Hope you get Mr Linky working soon it is good to have you back on WOYWW and you would be so missed. Blekubeard too, can't have one of you without the other.
Hugs to you and tickles to the two (special ones for you know who) xxx
Neet 1 xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

You used some cheerful colours for your rocking horse sun painting. Have a fun day, Valerie

Annie said...

Love your sun printing. Thanks for sharing how you do it all. I might have a go next summer (it’s too cold here now I guess).
Hugs,
Annie x #12

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This fascinates me Elizabeth as it shows you do not need all those fancy products to do the job. Must put a not in the *To Create* diary and try this when the season is right, things would certainly blow around today with the high winds today.
Sorry to hear the linky thing is still misbehaving. I will miss your posts but can catch up with you during the week. Although i'm an early riser I doubt I would ever make the #1 spot, i'm not one to be in the spotlight hee hee!!
Thanks for sharing WOYWW Hugs Tracey #7 xx

glitterandglue said...

Morning Elizabeth. A great explanation of all you have done. The results are lovely. Sorry you are still having trouble linking - nut please don't disappear - we'd miss you and all your rocking horses.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #6

Caro said...

Thanks for the walk through with photos. The results are fantastic! Have a nice week. Caro x (#16)

Meggymay said...

A great inspiration set of photos. I love your fabric printing especially when it features your lovely rocking horses.
Yvonne xx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Interesting post! I learned a lot from this having never really heard of sun printing before. I do like the concentric circle pattern very much, it works really well against the colours!
Hugs LLJ 13 xxx

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for the explanation how that worked. I was curious. I think this technique would work better than solar printing paint for large pieces of fabric because the solar paint dries quickly, wet cloth or dry. That technique uses the UV in sunlight. I will have to try this sometime. Your rocking horses came out quite nice and the whole look is great. happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Marfi-topia said...

this is incredibly cool, lol
I love this..definitely something Helena and I can do together:)
thanks Elizabeth.

CJ Kennedy said...

A very thorough explanation. Thanks

Julia Dunnit said...

It's not incredibly long, and it's incredibly useful. Not sure there's enough heat here now, but it might be worth a small try in the airing cupboard or under a radiator when the heating goes on! I love that you found a harlequin pattern in the fabric weave when you'd finished, it makes the colours you chose even more cheerful to me that the patterns have a pattern! I'm so sorry for your troubles linking, I cannot for the life of me, work out why. I can't guarantee a certain place, but I know there are loads of us that will not mind linking your blog if you want to carry on, it's not difficult for us!

kathyinozarks said...

what a fun sun print love those rocking horses

Lillianb said...

Happy WOYWDW

Thats a lovely idea and the results are great,

Lilian B #22

Darla said...

A great tutorial. I will watch for your printed fabric in an upcoming project.

Nancy said...

Interesting process, and thanks for the explanation- I never knew quite why the images underneath developed that way. I did this once long ago- and you're right- even the tiniest breeze can flip the whole thing.

Sami said...

The background colour is fabulous, almost like the colours of an African sunset and of course your rocking horses made great "stencils".
Great job Elizabeth.

StampinCarol said...

Wow! Your prints are really cool. Love all your explanations. Great colors, too!!
Have a great week!
Carol N #24

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is a great technique and I do love to play. Good use of the rocking horses but then what else would you use! Thanks for the visit to mine, enjoy your crafty week and happy woyww, Angela x17x

Jeanie said...

Thanks for the instructions. LOVE those hot reds and yellows. It looks fabulous!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thank you for sharing this. I love unique ways to do things. This project is beautiful. And I really love the last photo. Fun visit. Have a great week.

Sue said...

Hi Margaret, Lovely effect with the sun printing.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #11

Caty said...

Fantástico Elizabeth !! Really love the so beautiful result of sun printed on fabric, this is wonderful!! I have to try it!!
Thank you very much for sharing your spectacular tutorial with us, I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugs, Caty

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth...how cool is this !!!!!! this would be a great design on a tee shirt .....

da tabbies send ther best ta bleu N squiggles and hope they are staying IN trubull :) ☺☺♥♥

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic tutorial Elizabeth and the result is simply amazing!
You never cease to amaze me with your step by step workshops!

Big hugs, Susi

Heather M said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for the step by step tutorial. They make my life so much easier when I am trying to learn something new. I love the colours you used. Thank you for stopping by earlier, I'm sure I will have another wonderful holiday in Canada. I hope you get Mr Linky working! Have a lovely week Heather x #9

Milliesmarvels said...

Such a great technique! I have never seen sun printed fabric before, it looks fab and the colours you used are so vibrant!
Jane
x

Marit said...

I was wondering how the sun/heat/drying could leave you with the white 'masks'... you explained very well, I get it!!! Only thing is, I live in the most windy place of Holland so I will probably not be able to try this out anytime soon... I'll have to wait 'till next heatwave next Summer probably but I am not looking forward to experiencing another heat wave, I had trouble enough surviving this one ;) Thanks for your visit to my blog earlier, have a great week. Love from Holland, Marit #23

Angie said...

Well, now that is just cool! I've never seen that before and those colors are so bright and cheerful. Of course, right now anything that resembles the sun has been missing for days around here. Thanks for the visit and I hope you get Mr. Linky fixed.
Angie #30

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for visiting. We live in IOWA center of USA...no real weather problems until last night. Dealing with heavy rains 3 to 4 inches of hard rain and same for today. Will hurt my DH crops, we now have huge ponds and if predicted winds arrive corn will be flattened. Thanks for your thoughts. Stay dry !

Lindart said...

The sun painting tutorial was very interesting! Thanks you - although I may now have to wait a few seasons before it gets hot enough again to try it! Please don't stay away for too long, I hope Mr Linky works for you soon! You could always post on Instagram! Thanks for your visit, I've always wanted to do some sort of journaling using the sugar skull! Have wonderful week! Lindart #25

Jackie PNeal said...

Such a fun technique! Something I plan to try! thanks so much for sharing your steps Elizabeth!
hugs,Jackie xx

Kim Collister Studio said...

Love this idea! Will definitely give this a go!
Thanks for sharing!
Kim

Stacy Sheldon said...

Hi Elizabeth, Ah-Ha she says... the step by photos really help visualize this technique it kind of reminds me of ghost prints from pulls on a gelli plate.

~Stacy #29

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the colours in your rocking horse sun painting.

All the best Jan

Dorlene Durham said...

Wow! The final photos are great. I love the bright colors!

Annie Claxton said...

HI Elizabeth, thanks for sharing such a cool technique, I'm wondering if it might work with some autumn leaves if I pressed them flat first ... hmmmm ... have a great week :o) Annie C #21

pat brennan said...

This so interesting I had no idea you could do this. Thank you for sharing

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Love these bright colours! I hope you do as Juliia suggests and still take part! Hugs, Chrisx