Tuesday, September 4, 2018

WOYWW 483: The one where I make sun dyed fabric at my front porch desk


Some of you have noticed the reason for my WOYWW sabbatical was because I hosted Art Journal Journey last month, and created art every day.  It left no time to visit the many deskers who would drop by.

Just as I returned, I'm pulling a NO-NO and giving you a very long post, something Julia, our desker queen at Stamping Ground won't be happy about.  However, if all you came to see was the rocking horse, scroll to the bottom of the post.

Let's begin with materials from back left clockwise: fluid acrylics, masks and stencils, water, large scruffy paintbrush, scissors, old cotton bed sheet, all sitting on plastic bag wrapped over plastic sign.

I tore the fabric to about the size of the plastic covering, then saturated it in the clear water.

I spread the wet fabric out as smooth as possible,

then chose three colors for my background.

The blue quickly diffused when hit by the water, but the other colors were thicker.

To create the background, I simply swiped the colors from left to right, allowing them to intermingle. 

Then I laid down a mask (on the left) and a stencil (on the right) and made sure they were adhered well to the page.

I laid the assembly on my hot concrete driveway to dry.

Of course I didn't stop there.  I still had lots of blue paint on my brush, so I started another sun dyed fabric.

When I cleaned the brush, I dipped it in the water in which I had originally wet the fabric.  I had SO much paint left over, and not wanting to waste it, I decided to soak it up with some of the same bed sheet I was using.

Then it was time to create the background and use my stencils to create colorful marks in the fabric.

I laid a broken brick on the Fleur de lis stencil as the fabric dried, and I added

my stencil laden sun print to dry on the hot driveway.

Once dry, it was time for the reveal.

I have to admit this was quite the disappointment.

Lesson learned: do NOT use a stencil.  Instead use ONLY masks when creating sun dyed fabric.  Granted, these fabrics won't go to waste, because they can be cut and used as fillers, but I will never be able to use them as whole cloth in my art.

For those of you who came just for the rocking horse,

it's called Love-A-Bye Baby and normally sits in my office.

Thanks for visiting today.  Your visit is always welcome, even though I can't leave comments to those on some G+ blogs, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook.  For everyone else, I'll be by to visit, although it could take awhile because I wrenched and sprained my right wrist on Monday trying to catch a pan that fell from my hand, and now I'm typing with one hand.  If you are coming from Julia's, please leave your number.  Let's also hope Julia doesn't banish me because of this extra, extra long post.  Please take pity on the gimp, folks.
 

43 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

you need to tick the little box on Julia's linky thing and you will be able to link. It took me a few goes to realise.

good to see you back with a desk for us and what a lot of pics! love the step by steps Helen #1

Helen said...

I've linked you

Valerie-Jael said...

Your outside playtime looks like fun. Love the rocking horses. Enjoy your day, Valerie

Sarah Brennan said...

Nice to see you back Elizabeth. Thanks for the step by step on the sun dried fabric (although sadly I fear to late for the UK now lol). If it is as hot next year I'll be giving it a whirl. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4 (don't worry if you can only visit and not comment).

Helen said...

I had linked you before I saw your comment requesting me to!! lol.

Claire said...

Great photos, and so lovely to see you back, dear Elizabeth :)
Happy WOYWW!
Claire, no. 3

Neet said...

I had never noticed the photos of Bleubeard and Squiggles before. Lovely to see them both.
Thanks for the detailed description of the sun dried fabric - nice to see that stencils don't work and sos glad you can use the fabric anyhow. Maybe you will try again?
Hope the wrist heals quickly, you are good to type all this with one hand for us.
Hugs, to you and tickles to both your companions (with an extra one for you know who)
Neet 8 xxx

Mrs.D said...

Morning Elizabeth, you have had some fun, I wonder if it will work on paper, if we get some hot weather back.
Rocking horse is lovely, as always.
Thanks for visiting my desk, yes I am looking forward to the crop, it is about 3 hours drive to Llandudno from our new home, but making a weekend of it. Will take lots of pics
Chris #7

Frayed Round The Edges said...

that's an interesting technique, I imagine if you flooded some colour over the top it would diffuse the starkness of the resist but still show the pattern. Lovely experimentation Karen 15

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Interesting post! You got some very different results but all able to be used in some of your art. I look forward to more of your experiments :-D
Hugs LLJ 11 xxx

glitterandglue said...

Morning Elizabeth. What fun you had - but I'm sorry you were disappointed with your results. I think they look great - I'm sure you will find lots of use for them.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #2

froebelsternchen said...

Firstly I loved this sun print tutorial , the best I have seen yet! And I can tell you that also with the stencils this turned out absolutely gorgeous and I could imagine to use this fabrics for many things. The most interesting thing would be to sew wild with the help of the straight lines and curves on the fabric and so adding a next intersting layer to the fabrics! This fabrics will be wonderful backgrounds for your quiltlets and parts of it are also a great thing to use, you are right!
I call this session a big success Elizabeth and I would say that it is a good possibilty to use stencils as well for sun printing!

Happy Wednesday!
This rocking horse is such cutie!
♥♥♥

Susi

Annie said...

Amazing fabric art today. Love the little rocking horse. Sorry to hear about your wrist....hope it heals quickly.
Hugs,
Annie x #14

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, and hugs to Bleubeard. Love seeing the results of your experiment, but we learn by doing things don't we? I recall using stencils on my Gellli plate for the first time. Carefully added all my colours through the stencil, then lay my cardstock on top and smoothed it out. Which was exactly the moment I realised I'd forgotten to remove the stencil first! Oh well. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #9 X

My name is Erika. said...

It still looks like a fun experiment. I didn't know fluid acrylics worked well for sun printing. But you have some pretty backgrounds anyhow. Happy Wednesday. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Art is all about experimentation. You'll know what to do or not to do next time around. And because you so freely shared your results, so will we. Thank you.

Diana Taylor said...

That was an interesting experiment - what a shame you didn't get the results you wanted, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of uses for the fabrics - they are so lovely, such a bright and interesting mix of colours.
Have a good week and I hope your wrist gets better soon,
Diana x #18

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wowser Elizabeth! I think they are brilliant results - and cut up they will be totally different! Love-a-bye Baby is beautiful! Hugs, Chrisx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Interesting idea! It's a shame it didn't work well with the stencils, but that's the hole point of experimenting - some things will work, some things won't but you ALWAYS learn something new from your experiments. I love your stencils, by the way! Have a lovely week! zsuzsa #21

RO said...

There's nothing cooler than seeing your creative art process, and this post isn't long at all! Hugs...and Happy Wednesday! RO

Cheetarah said...

Thanks for the great sun-dry-dye tutorial! I do love how the circle patterns came out :) Perhaps you can paint over the bits you don't like and apply the stencil patters directly in to them? xo Cheetarah

Divers and Sundry said...

It looks like you enjoyed the process. I'm sorry the results disappointed you but am glad you'll be able to use what you created. I'm impressed with how your colors spread without mixing. I think I'd have ended up with a muddy mess :(

I'm sorry about your injury. Ouch! I hope it heals quickly.

Caro said...

Now that's an idea I would never have thought of. Hope you have fun trying again. Thanks for sharing. Have a good week. Caro x (#27)

Dorlene Durham said...

Cool photos. Very interesting to see the process. I think they are very cool and different. Enjoy. Dorlene #31

Lindart said...

Great tutorial! Not often do we see something where the hot driveway is a plus! Now we can be happy when the temps get high! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #23

Sandra Cox said...

Sorry you are disappointed with the sun dyed fabric. I love how they look.
And that's an awfully cute rocking horse:)

Heather M said...

Hi Elizabeth, sorry the sun dyed fabric didn't quite turn out as planned. We live and learn, and it's fun trying new things. It looks good to me! Thanks for stopping by earlier- I'm looking forward to trying the gym out when finished, but I think I will still prefer my craft room! Have a lovely week Heather x #12

Paper Wishes said...

I agree the fabric looks like it will be good in lots of projects and great pictures and instructions you shared. Thank you. x #35

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; this turned out really neat.....and I'm sorry to hear about your wrist.....it has to hurt like.... sounds like shell....here's to a quick recovery ~~~~ ☺☺♥♥ da tabbies say hi to bleu & squiggles

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, great tutorial. Loving the rocking horse too. Thanks for the visit to mine and wishing you both a happy woyww, Angela x17x

Meggymay said...

Well I am thinking that the prints look fantastic to me. I'm sure you will be using them to create super projects. It was a good set of photos on the process use followed as well.
Yvonne xx
p.s. love the Rocking Horse photos

kathyinozarks said...

Sun Painting is so much fun!! If I had time I would grab my basket of setacolor paints and so some sun painting too- I learned that too about using stencils unless we would want to cut them out for just a narrow border.
we have lots of rain coming in soon-hopefully cooler weather.
thanks for sharing!! and I always love your rocking horses

Unknown said...

Thank you for the good and very helpful information and thank you for your lovely comments and it is very interesting and a very smart way to do it.
สุขภาพจิต

Sue said...

Hi Elizabeth, I love your sun paintings.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #16

Angie said...

The sun paintings are so lovely. Thanks for stopping by!
Angie #28

Stacy Sheldon said...

Hi Elizabeth, ( maybe you can chop the fabric prints up and like them better smaller?)
I really do not know how using a mask would be any different than using a stencil though, was it the material the stencil was made from?
~Stacy #29

Shoshi said...

This looks like an interesting technique, Elizabeth. It's not something I've come across before so I'm not sure how it's supposed to look! Sorry you were disappointed with your results but I am sure you will use that failure as the stepping stone to success when you try again. Do show us how you get on! Sorry to hear you hurt your wrist too. Thank you for your lovely comment - we were very worried about little Ruby for a while and then, there she was, with that "What's all the fuss about?" expression on her face!! Dad often used to make us laugh - you have to keep a sense of humour when dealing with things like dementia! My leg is getting better now. I've had 3 days on my anticoagulant so it should be coursing through my system by now, and also today I put on one of those hospital stockings which has made it feel a bit more comfortable. I am sure I'll be OK in a day or two. Do you not have chutney in the States? It's very popular in the UK, especially home-made! It's a way of preserving and it improves as it matures.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #24

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's a shame it did not turn out the way you would have liked Elizabeth but there are some great art marks amongst it, i'm sure you will make good use of it & had lots of fun along the way.
Your Rocking horse is very very sweet, it would make a great first baby gift.
Sorry i'm late, I seem to be doing nothing but apologise recently, time will be more mine soon & I can get back to regularly visiting everyone.
Thanks for sharing WOYWW
Hugs for the upcoming weekend Tracey #6

Marit said...

I am tempted to use fabric in/on my art journals lately (I'm waiting for my order of textile patches to come in) and I thought of all kinds of ways and techniques to use on those old bedsheets I have... so THANK YOU for your post and the outcome of this technique. Now I know what will and will not work... And thanks for your visit yesterday. Have a great weekend! Big hug from Holland, Marit #25

Jackie PNeal said...

Looks like a bit of work for your technique Elizabeth! Sorry it did not turn out as you had hoped "( that is always a bummer.
Thank you so much for your beautiful words you left me! You really do brighten my day!
Thank you Elizabeth and Bleubeard!
Jackie xo

Jeanie said...

These are really beautiful, Elizabeth. A hard lesson, losing some sheet but at least you can get sheets cheap at Goodwill/SalvArmy at times for bigger projects and I know you can use some of these on your other things. YOur instructions are really wonderful and I really appreciate your color choices -- and your creative enterprise which I SO admire!

Caty said...

So wonderful background with dyed sun fabric Elizabeth!! They are fantastiques with the so beautiful stencil you ´ve used. Lovely.
I like very much your Love _A Bye Baby, it´s just amazing!
I wish you a very nice week, big hugs, Caty

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love thee results you got, Elizabeth - even if you need to cut the stenciled parts to use on them own - I think they all have some lovely parts.