Thursday, August 30, 2018

Tool time


As this month winds down, the handsome Bleubeard and I are so thrilled we have been able to host Art Journal Journey this month.  I'm sure you know my theme is Count your blessings.

One of the first things I did when I bought my house in Wichita was move my books and my tools.  I was still working full time and could only drive the ~200 miles to Wichita on Friday afternoon, then drive home Sunday evening.  During that time, I built bookcases and set my garage up the way I wanted it.   I needed the tools to be in Wichita because about three weeks before I quit my job in order to attend Wichita State University's newly accredited Human Factors Ph.D. program, I took a week's vacation to build the basement bath.

I'm a tool person.  I'm blessed with lots of tools I purchased while living in Missouri.  I have BIG tools and small tools.  I love tools.  From my miter and chop saw to my air compressor to my acetylene torch to my precision tools that measure items in the 1/1000th of an inch, I love them all.

You can see some of the tools I own represented in the above journal page.

Seeing these ads

reminds me

how many 

hand and electric

tools, whether metric or SAE

I am blessed with.  Yes, I am truly blessed to possess so many wonderful tools.

I always tell people not to skimp on tools and to buy the best they can afford.

For this page, I started by coloring a sheet of white 110 lb card stock with my blue handmade shimmering mist.  Then I found three different ads for tools and cut images from each page.  Next, I found some "cute" buttons and added them using E6000.  Finally I added the sentiment.  I didn't have enough letters to make the words "Tool Time," so I cut around the outside of letters I had used in the past.  I find this is an effective way to get double use out of some stickers.

Bleubeard, my adorable co-host and I are thrilled you joined us today as we counted my garage filled with tools a blessing at Art Journal Journey. We would love to see you there, too (AJJ, that is, but you can visit my garage if you like).  There's still time to join us with what you are blessed.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I used to have a lot of tools and always enjoyed doing manual work, but most of them have now been sold or given away, I didn't want to hoard things I couldn't use any more. Great idea for a page. Have a fun day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

That's the page for Willi! He LOVES to have the best tools he can get and makes the most wonderful things with them!
And all is organized so well!
I am the chaotic type with my stuff but Willi is the well organized part in our house.
I love how you even found some tool buttons to add and how clever to use the "negative" space of the sticker alphabet!
It's a pleasure to have the required tool at hand when needed!
Blessed are the people who are able to craft and do manual work so well. I am truly blessed with my hubby and you can be so proud of yourself that you are a handy(wo)man. That's worth a mint!
I was blessed with so many wonderful ideas you showed us this month!
You were such a source of inspiration Elizabeth! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Happy Thursday!
Hugs, Susi

My name is Erika. said...

Cool! Our outuilding is my husband's tool shop and I've learned a lot about tools from him. The only thing I am afraid to use is the band saw, but one day I will get my courage up. I like working with my hands too and I so I appreciate this page. You did a great job with all the tool images and the little bits. And I particularly enjoyed the story. You go girl. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Wow good for you! I like to putter around with the basics, but no way could I build out a bathroom. I can put together an Ikea bookcase - haha! Love this fun page.

Caty said...

This Art journal page is wonderful Elizabeth !! Just amazing !!
It is a joy to know that you are very good at fixing, assembling and doing things in the house, I, really, I think I am not very good at this, I help, but little else. I love seeing the small tools that you have added to the page, they are so beautiful.
I want to thank you again for your fascinating theme this month in Art journal Journey, then I could admire so many beautiful creations during the challenge. Thank you !
I wish you a very happy day, big hugs, Caty

CJ Kennedy said...

A wonderful page. Where would we be without our tools? 🖌🖍✏️📘

Mia said...

My husband owns a lot of tools and use them all the time!
Great page, Elizabeth. Kisses, my friend.

Divers and Sundry said...

You are blessed in tools and skills :) I, on the other hand, have a hammer, a few screwdrivers, and a stud-finder. If it's more that attaching something to a wall I'm afraid it's just not getting done lol

Birgit said...

My hubby will be proud to see a Dewaldt tool in the mix:) He is DeWaldt crazy. This is a cool concept for a journal page and I love that you found some tiny tools to add to it

Jeanie said...

I love this -- learned something about you I didn't know, for one thing. I had no idea about the tools. Or building the bathroom, either. Really? I am more than impressed -- I'm jaw dropped! Well, no wonder you are so fearless in your art and trying new techniques. My theory is if you're comfy with power tools, you're comfy with about anything!

Love the page but I love the story best!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

You never cease to amaze me, dear Elizabeth. I would be very grateful if I could do those things too. Cute page. I have some of those miniature tool buttons/embellishments. That size is just about right for me ;-)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

my dad had a saw that he got from HIS grandfather; not even sure how to describe how it looked; it was a saw inside a frame; anyway, he decided to sell it at a garage sale a few back and more people came through and looked at it then anything else they had for sale that day ! ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

You have an amazing collection of tools. I am in awe, as I am not good with large tools, and Wow building your own bathroom, you are a very talented lady.
A screwdriver and hammer would be as far as as could aim to using. Power tools, never.
My hubby has a great collection in the loft where he has his railway [off limits to me] in the garage for working on the Landies, and his model making bench.
Your journal page is fantastic with all those assorted tool adverts and I really loved the button additions.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

You have some tools my DIL, Leah, doesn't have. She would be jealous! :)

RO said...

YIKES! I know I should have lots more tools, but other than a hammer and a few screwdrivers, I'm totally clueless.(lol) I love the way you've put this collage together, and it just looks so fun! Hugs...RO