Thursday, August 31, 2017

ARTifacts for August


Today is ARTifacts day, the brainchild of Seth Apter.  But I'm really spreading the love because I'm also joining challenges at Art Journal Journey, Moo-Mania and More, Tag Tuesday, and Try it on Tuesday.  Unlike some people who join a lot of challenges at once just because they seem to fit, I will actually share both the how and why I created these pages in my Rocking Horse Journal.

This is my ARTifacts page, the one that Seth will share on his blog sometime in September.  The rest, although normally just step-out photos, will show each of the challenges I'm participating in.

We can begin with Try it on Tuesday, where their newest theme is Sewing.  Everything on these pages is sewn, with the exception of the little TH paper doll (boy on the flash card) that I attached with glue dots when I felt the tag needed something.

Speaking of tags,

Michele has chosen Back to School as the theme for Tag Tuesday.  This is a theme that is near and dear to me, as many of you know when I hosted Art Journal Journey last September.

The nice thing about having images on your computer is you can print them any size you wish.  This represents the classroom, although you probably can't read my writing.

Some of the things you could find in this one room classroom might include a French dictionary, ink pens and nibs, numbers,

and letters.  I was hoping it would look like "Back to school" was written in chalk on a blackboard.

The kindergarten class is ready to learn

shapes and colors.  They might also get to see a movie or sing a song.

The little boy is ready for his first lesson. 

Once complete, I sewed the tag onto the right side of my page.  For the tag I began with a used file folder.  I cut the corners using decorative scissors.  I added images I copied from my files, a same/different flash card, black card stock, a white gel pen, and the little boy.

The left side was created specifically for Art Journal Journey and Moo-Mania and More.  

MM&M's theme is Birds, and there are several on this page.

We'll begin at the top, where the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker (found in southeastern North America) is on an Endangered Species stamp.

Note also the date, as well as my mention of change in the air, both literally and figuratively.

Now we'll join Jo whose blog is Let's Art Journal, this month's host at Art Journal Journey and her theme Poetry in Motion.
Thy love can make my heart as blest
As happy birds in a flow'ry nest.
With less than 24 hours to go, I am adding this just under the wire.

Of course, there are the birds alluded to in the poem, too.

For the left side, I started with a beige doily, found several endangered species stamps in my stash, wrote the date in red ink, wrote "Change is in the air" on black card stock with a white gel pen, and found this adorable image in my stash, too. 

All images, the doily, tag, and postage stamp were sewn using variegated thread. 

Thank you for joining me today.  I appreciate your visit and taking time to leave such lovely comments, too.

I want to thank Seth for coming up with this wonderful collaboration, as well as hosting this monthly event.

I will also be checking in with

Art Journal Journey,

Moo-Mania & More,

Tag Tuesday,

and

Try it on Tuesday.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal page, you have put a lot of love and effort into it. Thanks so much for linking to TIOT and Tag Tuesday, much appreciated. Hope you are feeling better, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Sorry I haven't much time to visit or join in at the moment Elizabeth but you are in my thoughts. I am doing a bit of a catch-up this morning.

Wonderful projects today and thank you for joining in at Try it on Tuesday and at Tag Tuesday. Your support is appreciated.

Love Chrissie xx

Lula said...

What a fabulous take on our theme Elizabeth! Love every single detail of your page! Thanks for sharing it with us at TioT this time. Hugs!

froebelsternchen said...

Oh wow... can't decide where to start -
first of all the complete composition is absolutely adorable - all the components go together in a brilliant way - I love your composition of the project! Worth to be shown on stage of Seth's artifacts.
I am always so proud of you to see your art there!
THANK YOU very ♥ very much for including Jo's lovely theme and supporting the Art Journal Journey Challenge, bringing birds for the Moo Mania & More theme and for your wonderful "STITCH it" entry for Try It On Tuesday!
You even managed to include Michele's lovely Back to School theme! AMAZING!
You simply overdid yourself!
Thank you for all your supportive help and friendship dear Elizabeth!
I hope you get well soon my friend!
oxo
Susi

Marjut said...

Wonderful Project. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

craftytrog said...

A marvellous spread Elizabeth! I enjoyed reading how it came about too, so many wonderful details to see.
Alison

RO said...

This is so lovely, and it's a treat to see how you came up with these great and artistic ideas! Hugs...RO

Let's Art Journal said...

Your artifacts page for August is fantastic, it captures the month beautifully! I love the way you used the stitching to attach the all elements including those pretty words, lovely birds and flowers - another perfect entry for Art Journal Journey, thank you 😁. I really appreciate your support this month and I do hope you are feeling better now! Enjoy your week! J 😊

My name is Erika. said...

You really outdid yourself here Elizabeth. What an excellent spread. I really like the shape card with the little boy sitting on the circle. :) But the whole thing has a lot of interest-the stitching really adds some texture and finishes it off. Hope you're having a good week. Hugs-Erika

pearshapedcrafting said...

Good Heavens Elizabeth! Your certainly have impressed me this time- is this a record - 6 challenges?!!!! Not only that, you have the most amazing details to take in! The words you have used are perfect too! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Hope you are continuing to recover! Big Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Very nice, Elizabeth, and I really appreciate your explaining your process, thoughts and such behind the creation! Love the school images and the stitching is really nice.

Meggymay said...

Oh my Elizabeth , I am in awe of this fabulous journal page and that leads me to mention all the impressive details and additions to the piece.
It goes without saying that I love the stitching you added.
Thank you for including us at TioT's when you were creating this page. we are very pleased to have you join us.
Yvonne xx
p.s I hope you are getting stronger as the days go by.

nanskidrewski said...

Such an awesome page, so much to see and admire. I always loved those old fashioned desks and the iron work. Love the catalog page background and nibs. The vintage birds and poem are so sweet. Hope you are feeling better. Hugs

Sandra Cox said...

These are all great, but I especially love Change Is In the Air. So delicate and Victorian.

Sandra Cox said...

PS The thread seams just bring everything together don't they?

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this is a really nice art piece !!! I dare not say to the tabbies, anything about the awesome bird poem ~~~~~~♥♥

CJ Kennedy said...

You had me at the nibs. Love the page spread. And my classrooms in elementary school (up to 6th grade) looked just like the classroom in your picture. In 7th grade, a new addition was put on the building so 7th and 8th grade classrooms were in the new, modern building. I missed those old wooden desks.

Cindy McMath said...

This is lovely Elizabeth - I hope you're feeling much better!

Seth said...

Wonderfully designed and details page. Thanks for taking the time to share the process and how it fits with the challenges you included.

Michele said...

wow i LOVE all your school themed bits. very nostalgic and all quite lovely. beautiful art. xo

Rosie said...

Wowow, a gorgeous take of the theme.

Thank you so much for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY and also for MOO MANIA & MORE