Sunday, September 28, 2008

Silhouette technique I found on a blog

I found this technique on the internet, but for the life of me, I can't find the artist's blog I got it from to link to, or her name to give her credit. I thought her blog was called the "Crafty Artist" or something crafty, but I apparently didn't bookmark it. So, if anyone knows the link to the original post for this technique, please let me know and I will correct my error.

The artist whose blog I found this technique on referenced a book that she learned the technique from. So, I apologize also to the original writer/artist. I'm not trying to plagiarize, I'm just forgetful.

These pages were created in my Coll-AH-ge AB.
This is called a silhouette technique. What you do is find an image that you like in a magazine or the newspaper and cut it out. Then you can either copy it to the back side of a book page like I did above, or simply flip the images over and allow the back of the image to become the silhouette, as I did with the images below.

In the first piece, I cut the image from an old oriental romance novel. I first painted the book page with metallic gold paint, then added all my oriental scraps I had left over from covering my Chinese NY book cover. When I added the silhouette, it was too close to the color of the background, so I grabbed a reddish pink colored pencil and outlined it. That didn't make a whole lot of difference, so I grabbed a charcoal pencil and added another line inside the silhouette. Still not achieving the effect I wanted, I grabbed my black Micro pen and added dots outside the silhouette. Since I wasn't really impressed with the outcome of this piece, I decided to try again.
This time I decided to play around with the background a bit. I began by brushing copper Lumiere all over the page. When it was dry, I took some dark green pigment ink and spread it sparingly in places on the page. I was hoping to get a patina effect, or when the copper starts to turn that telltale green. As I applied the ink, I used my finger to spread and diffuse it on the page. If you try this technique, be sure to hold the page down with your free hand, because I bent and wrinkled my page as I was rubbing.

When I had the background the way I wanted it, I added the two images. I was lucky to find two that were similar in size and scale.

This was a fun technique and I hope this will encourage others to try it. And please leave a comment if you know who the original artist is or the blog I found this technique on.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Linda Manning Findley said...

"E" your silhouette technique is super ... love the #9 the most cause you know me and collage ........ Linda F