Friday, February 1, 2008

Pages for a private exchange

These pages were made for my friend Halle who has both a vintage fashion AB and a coffee AB in progress. She received her pages today, so now I can post what I made.
When I saw this image, which is nothing more than a magazine picture, it struck me how different the ruling and servant classes dressed in 19th Century Europe. I just had to use it because it really emphasized the class differences. The title is made from different alphabets. The wooden ones were meant to signify the working class, the pretty pearl ones were for the ruling class.
For this page, I started with coffee themed tissue paper. I only had a scrap, so had to turn it sideways to use it. The mug and coffee pot were from a magazine, and the "H" is a sticker. In the upper left is a Formica chip that I attached a Starbucks sticker to, then an image I printed from my computer. I used a tie that comes with coffee in place of fibers.
Although this page is simple, it is by far my favorite. I began by finding every quote I could that related to coffee. Each quote was written in a different font. I printed it out on yellow paper, then enlarged a portion of it and printed it again on the same colored paper. I punched 3 large circles from single weight cardboard, then glued them together and weighted them down overnight. Next, I attached the quotes and outlined the circle in gold ink. I stamped the coffee pot in copper polymer clay, then carefully brushed bronze and copper mica powders on different parts of the pot. Thankfully, my friend Theresa was here, and she carefully cut around the image using a razor blade. When baked, I used E-6000 to attach the coffee pot to the center of the circle and the circle to the page. Want a closer look? Click on them and see them up close and personal.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Moose Ridge said...

very cool pages, especially the coffee one with the PC medallion!!

thanks for sharing it....

Allison
Dunlap TN