Friday, October 2, 2020

Second on the 2nd and Friday Smiles 391


It's Friday and time to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies at Friday Smiles.  It's also the day of my Second Look on the 2nd.  Remember, the ONLY requirement is, it must have been published sometime in the past on your blog.

I published this post during AEDM (Art Every Day Month) on November 9, 2019.  Once again, it's a tribute to a great man of peace.  I hope that soon we can return to that same time, or at least concept, where honesty and integrity triumph over lies, dishonesty, denials, and disrespect for our military.  I now give you in its entirety this post I called:

Returning to the Eisenhower Museum, Library, and Boyhood Home


Many of my long time readers know I visited the Eisenhower Museum, Library, and Boyhood Home recently.  Most of my posts and photos from the day I went there are too long for AEDM, but one area had only a few photos.   Since Veterans/Armistice/Remembrance Day is coming quite soon, I thought it would be the perfect time to share this statue of Ike.  To see other posts, go here to see visitor center and gift shop, here to see his boyhood home, here to see the exterior and introductory gallery of the museum (including some fabulous murals), and here to see Ike as a child growing up in Abilene, KS (Kansas).

The 11-foot bronze statue depicting Ike as General Eisenhower stands in the center of the facility.  You might be able to read that he was called the Champion of Peace.

The statue depicts Eisenhower in his World War II "Eisenhower Jacket."  Note the pylons in the background.

The bronze statue was sculpted by Robert Dean, Jr., who created three other statues of Ike.   One of the statues is displayed in Denison, Texas, the President's birthplace, the second on the grounds of the U.S. Military Academy, and the third on the grounds of the U.S. Embassy in London.  The statue in Texas is similar, albeit smaller and Ike isn't wearing his military hat.

The base is made of Georgia granite.  There are five stars surrounding it, indicating his five star general status. It has quotations from Eisenhower's various careers including President of the United States, Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Forces, General of the Army, Supreme Allied Commander of Europe, and Chief of Staff of the Army.

Since my photos didn't show the quotes like I thought they would, I found them on the internet:
Quotations and Insignia on the Eisenhower Statue Pedestal
SUPREME COMMANDER ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY FORCES
February 13, 1944 - July 13, 1945
"Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force: You are about to embark upon the great crusade" -- Message to Troops of the A.E.F., June 6, 1944
GENERAL OF THE ARMY
December 20, 1944
"I cannot let this day pass without telling the fighting men...that my fondest boast shall always be: I was their fellow-soldier" -- Address to the American Soldier, February 7, 1948
CHIEF OF STAFF, UNITED STATES ARMY
November 19, 1945 - February 7, 1948
"It is a grievous error to forget for one second the might and power of this great republic" -- Letter to Walter Bedell Smith, November 28, 1947
SUPREME ALLIED COMMANDER EUROPE
NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANIZATION
December 21, 1950 - May 31, 1952
"The members of this command are of many nations working together ... for the cause that lies nearest our hearts today -- the preservation of peace" -- Statement for British Broadcasting Corporation Series "Atlantic Alliance", February 1, 1952
34th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
January 20, 1953 - January 20, 1961
"The quest for peace is the statesman's most exacting duty ... practical progress to lasting peace is his fondest hope." -- Statement on Disarmament Geneva Conference, July 21, 1955
In front of the statue is

a copy of 

The Great Seal of the United States of America.


The statue was presented to the Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum by the Harry and Edith Darby Foundation in 1985.




The day was so overcast, I had a hard time seeing his face, so I lightened it (rather poorly, I might add) in Photoshop.

I definitely didn't have to lighten these

beautiful flowers surrounding the statue.


Thank you so much for joining me today.  I am most grateful.  

____________________________________________________

I encourage you to visit Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us. 

However, right now, it's time to link your Second on the 2nd, even if it's the same as your Friday Smiles.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  It could even be a post that is as relevant today as it was when you originally posted it.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends (and maybe even a few Friday Smiles friends), will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open through the 5th, when T Tuesday goes live, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.

I know many of you prefer Mr. Linky rather than Inlinkz, so today we will use Mr. Linky for our direct links. 


 




15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry, I have too much on my plate to join in today, if I can I will link tomorrow, this is a crazy week. Have a fun day, and take care, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

We sure need a Champion of Peace - everywhere. As nations working together. That would be... "heaven".
I admit I didn´t get the second. But if I understood, I join you with one I really love...

Annie said...

You will know the bit I enjoyed most...those flowers are gorgeous.
Hugs,
Annie x
ps don't forget I will be missing in action next friday.

Lisca said...

He was a great man and there aren't many like him anymore. Integrety, for one, has gone out of the window.
"Practical progress towards lasting peace". That is what every politician should aim for. Sadly the jolly jokers that are in power at the moment are not taking example from this great man.
Thanks for sharing this bit of history, when America was indeed 'great'.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

It was good to see this post again. Ike really was a leader. Something we need now. I hope someday to be able to visit this museum, if I ever get to Kansas. Hope you are having a good week. It's been a good one here! Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

That is one impressive statue.

Darla said...

Thanks for hosting this second opportunity for us to share a blog post. i enjoyed visiting the museum throuugh your phoyos.

kathyinozarks said...

I have enjoyed these Eisenhower museum visits Happy Friday and Second on the 2nd

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks like a great museum to visit.

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a striking statue, and the irises are lovely.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love that the quotes were included on the pedestal - its a fabulous state in a great setting!
I am quite stressed at the moment as an image from another blog is right over most of my top page _ I am going to try a mainly blank post at the top! Hugs, Chrisx

DVArtist said...

you know I love seeing your visit to this museum. That first photo is heart filling. I wish I could at some time visit there. Enjoy your day.

Karen said...

Hi! ~ Enjoy the weekend! ~ Love, Karen

mamapez5 said...

There are sad days Elizabeth. I think a lot of countries have lost their way a bit. Let's hope we get back to common decency, truth and understanding soon.
Lovely flowers around the statue. Kate xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The more you show us of your visit to the museum the more I realise what a great place this must be to visit. Take care and have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx