Saturday, October 3, 2020

Changing Directions


I'm joining Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme Hold the Line.

I named this Changing Directions

because after I laid down the glitter paint it spread out in all directions as it dried.  The title was also reinforced when I was able to move some of the strings of burlap/Hessian in opposite directions.

I'm really LOVING finding letters for ransom style sentiments.  It may take longer,

but it's better than trying to stamp letters that might or might not be readable. 





For this page that started with a sheet of 110 lb. card stock, I laid down Iridescent Gold (Fine) Fluid Acrylic using a makeup sponge.  I realize the gold lost its beauty in the photo, but it really sparkles on the page.  When dry, I glued several pieces of burlap/Hessian over the gold paint.  Next, I applied a large dollop of glitter paint to hide the ends of the burlap.  Everything looked great, until the glitter paint spread in all directions and lost all its height.  Unfortunately, once dry, some of the ends of the burlap can be seen.  For the ransom type letters, I looked high and low for my tweezers, but never found them.  In desperation, I tried to use my fingernails to hold each letter as I dipped it in more of the glitter paint.

I appreciate you stopping by today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your own take on Holding the line.

16 thoughtful remarks:

craftytrog said...

I love this page Elizabeth, reminded me of a jellyfish when I first saw it. Your ransom style title is fabulous too.
Happy weekend,
Alison xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic page Elizabeth, love the gold. I have linked to 2nd on the 2nd today. Have a good one. Valerie

Mae Travels said...

A jellyfish was also my thought -- they are such beautiful creatures when you see them in an aquarium! Changing Directions could be the theme of a wonderful variety of art works.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Elkes Lebensglück said...

the idea is really great and making something out of it is pure fanatical Elizabeth!
I wish you a beautiful weekend!

Karen said...

Yes, just when we think we're headed one way ~ it's time to move on in another way. Great page ~ Enjoy the weekend!

CJ Kennedy said...

My thoughts about this page were politcal. Yes, let's hope directions are changed.

My name is Erika. said...

I love this abstract branch out piece. Wow Elizabeth. It is really cool. I love it when you think out of the box! Have a great Saturday. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

This is excellent. You know how I love abstract. Enjoy your day.

Divers and Sundry said...

I agree that it reminded me of a jellyfish :) I like how you made the strings change direction.

Iris Flavia said...

Words I need right now. Do I stay or do I go...

pearshapedcrafting said...

I absolutely love this Elizabeth - it's such brilliant entry for my 'Hold The Line' theme! You definitely make the best abstracts! Hugs, Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh this looks like a piece of art that should be hanging in a gallery.

Rita said...

I know how difficult it is to get the sparkles and shimmers to show up in photos, but I could imagine it easily. Looks great! :)

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulously designed and just love the gorgeous arty goods....great colours ♥

Jeanie said...

What a good title and I really love the composition and design. Such an interesting use of materias that work so well together.

Meggymay said...

This is an eye catcher of a page, it made me think of how threads can take you in all directions and not the way we actually planned to follow.
Yvonne xx