Sunday, November 3, 2019

Monday Murals: Music and Magic


I'm joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. I've decided to post at my regular time, so please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 11:00 a.m. my time.

I found this mosaic mural

on the front of the Abode at Douglas and Matthewson on the north side of the street in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

It faces Douglas and is called Music and Magic.  It is NOT a mural associated with Avenue Art Days.

There are about a gazillion mosaic tiles in this mural.

I got a little carried away taking close-ups of the various bits in the mural.





It's incredibly colorful, but because the day was so overcast, the tiles seem to be washed out compared to how I remember them in person.

I have to "assume" the artists who created this

were S. Mirillo and Sweeton.


Just as I finished taking photos of the mural, I happened to look up

and saw this incredible tiled roof that sits directly above the Abode.

If you enjoy murals from all corners of the globe, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

This is Day 3 of Art Every Day Month or AEDM
 and I photographed a mural in my hometown.


26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic music mural, and a wonderful tiled roof. Have a fun day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing mural and this roof is stunning!
Happy Sunday!
Susi xxx

Helen said...

great mural - never see things like that here (or not anywhere I've come across) and the tiles are fabulous.

thanks for catching up with Kew, sorry there were so many to delay you on your catch up!!! have a good day

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful mural, Elisabeth. Thank you for sharing that with us...it's hard to imagine working on such a large scale.
Cath x

Meggymay said...

This must have taken the artists a long time to create, its a fabulous mural. so much to admire, I'm not surprised that you took many photos, I would have done so as well. I have to mention that I love those roof tiles. I wonder if many buildings are tiled this way, it sure makes them stand out from the plainer roof tops.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

So cool. Remind me of trying to look for the objects in Highlights magazine when I was a kid. The tile roof is beautiful, too.

My name is Erika. said...

That mural feels a bit Spanish and a bit Picasso. It is really beautiful. And I think even more so when you get close up and see the individual mosaic pieces. The tile roof is pretty nice too. We never see tile roofs around here. Thanks for sharing, and happy rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

I really love this mural. Street mural art can be so NOT right for the area. We had a painter come in from out of town to paint a mural on a building as you come into town. It doesn't represent our town, which was one of the criteria, and it is just plane ugly. My town has been in an uproar over it. Anyway this is excellent and so is the roof.

Kerry @ Art to Alchemy said...

Thanks for the close-up photos of the mural's details. That is amazing!

craftytrog said...

That's a fabulous roof, and the mural is amazing Elizabeth!

Words and Pictures said...

There's something about mosaics, isn't there? A great sense of energy and life about them with all those angles and shapes present within the larger images and shapes. I was really taken with the mural and then the roof tiles appeared... completely fabulous in stunning colours - I love them!
Alison x

Divers and Sundry said...

Does Wichita has a particular music connection? This mural is wonderful!

Mae Travels said...

You really found a wonderful one this week! I love the colors.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...I love this, it has a Picasso feel to it.

Bertiebo said...

Beautiful. There will always be a Picasso. And a Gaudi.
I love that roof!

Iris Flavia said...

The heart sure is my favorite - and those tiles! Oh, I wish people would get that creative here, too, can´t be that difficult (and yes. I get the irony saying that, having studied that stuff ages ago).

RO said...

Wow! Such a lovely mural. Can you imagine how long this took?! And those tiles up above are so beautiful and colorful! Hugs, RO

Sami said...

Wow, great find Elizabeth. So much work must have gone into this mosaic mural, so much to see, so much colour. Love it!!
Thanks for participating.
And I love the very interesting roof shape and pretty roof tiles.

s.c said...

Great mural with a touch of modernism in the style. The more difficult because it is a mosaic. Love the work.

magiceye said...

Highly creative and very interesting.

Nancy said...

This is so well done! I admire artists who have vision and the skills to interpret the vision in tiny tile mosaic. And on such a grand scale.

Jackie McGuinness said...

We love closeups!! And what an incredible roof.

Linda said...

Picasso, meet Matisse.

Lois said...

That is a beautiful mural. Thank you for showing all of the detail in your closeups!

Lowcarb team member said...

The mural looks marvellous and that tiled roof is quite incredible.
Don't they go well!

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Oh Elizabeth, this is a fabulous mural -- it might be one of my all time favorites! Look at the detail in the mosaics? And I love the subject matter. I can see why you took all the close ups. I would too!