Sunday, November 10, 2019

Monday Murals: At the Eisenhower Museum


I'm once again joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. Although I post at my regular time, please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 9:01 a.m. my time, at least if I have calculated correctly, which I obviously did NOT.  Apparently Sami's murals will go live at 10:01 my time.  For some reason, I can't add a clock to my sidebar representing Perth, Western Australia, Australia.

Back on September 21, I visited the Eisenhower Museum in Abilene, Kansas (USA).  This is outside the museum near his boyhood home.  I realize I took these photos earlier and I've even shown them on my blog before, but even if you joined me for the original post, I will explain things I didn't when I first showed these photos.

The museum, which is a part of the complex, had been completely revamped with new exhibits.  Built by the Eisenhower Foundation with funds raised through public gifts, the museum building is constructed of Kansas limestone. Originally dedicated on Veterans Day in 1954, the museum was built to house the materials and objects related to Eisenhower's life.   Since tomorrow is Veterans (aka Remembrance or Armistice) Day, I thought the Monday Murals group would appreciate these because they are quite relevant.

When you walk into the first room of the museum, you are immediately inundated with mural after mural after mural.  From what I could tell, the mural on the far right is when he addressed NATO.  From December 21, 1950 through May 31, 1952, Eisenhower or Ike as I like to call him, was the Supreme Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization or NATO.

The second mural to the left shows Ike and Mamie at home with their first born son Doud, who died when he was three and a half.  Note the golf clubs. Ike was a big fan of golf and after he won the Presidency, he had a putting green installed on the south lawn of the White House.  According to Golf Digest, Ike played golf at various golf courses more than 800 times during his presidency.

The next mural is Ike taking the oath of office of the Presidency with Mamie and others looking on.

The next mural is Ike in his famous Eisenhower jacket, when he inspected the troops.  From February 13, 1944 through July 13, 1945 he was the Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Forces in Europe.

The final photo may be from West Point, where he graduated in 1915.  He may have been giving a commencement address after he became famous because he wasn't at the top of his class in 1915, graduating 61 of 164.

In case you can't read the sentiment at the bottom of this mural, it is "Supreme Command."  It shows Ike during the war years.  Although he never fought in battle, he was in charge of all the men and women in the European theater who were under his command.  It further shows how he planned and executed D-Day, the largest sea invasion in history.  Just look at all those flags representing different countries that participated in D-Day.

This mural shows he was in charge of the "Command Operations."

If you enjoy murals found around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

And because I needed to show something new for AEDM

I have created this tag for Tag Tuesday where seeds and plants is the theme that Michele has chosen.  

I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More, getting in just under the wire with their Circles theme.  

Apparently my green dye ink pad was dry, because the circles I made were quite faint.

The black dye ink was more obvious.

There's a bit of symbolism in this tag, too.  For those of you who live in the states or are familiar with some of our cities, all the fruit symbolize a specific city.   The avocado (yes, it's a fruit) symbolizes Los Angeles, California.  The cherry symbolizes Washington D.C. where the cherry blossoms bloom each year.  The apple is for the Big Apple, or New York City, New York.

For this tag, I cut a piece of fun foam to size, then stamped green and black circles on the foam.  I fussy cut the fruit and the word from various magazines.  There was no way I was going to be able to cut the stems on the cherries or the apple and not destroy the images.  I had trouble getting glue to adhere, so ended up affixing everything with glue dots.  Finally, I backed the tag with a decorated paper (kitchen) towel that had been stamped and colored. 

Thanks for stopping by today, as I shared murals with mural friends from Sami's Colourful World I took at the Eisenhower Museum in September.  Then I joined AEDM where I shared a tag I created for the challenges at Tag Tuesday and Moo-Mania and More.  I hope to see you at each of these places today.

This is Day 9 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM) hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas, and I
created a tag for Tag Tuesday and Moo-Mania and More, and shared a few murals, too.


30 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a gorgeous tag you made for Tag Tuesday, and showing three fruits I love - who doesn't? More great pics from the Eisenhower Museum, those murals are very interesting. As a said before, he was a good one! Have a nice day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Great murals and a fantastic tag Elizabeth! Happy Sunday!
Susi xxx

froebelsternchen said...

And thank you for joining Moo Mania & More as well dear ELizabeth!

Rosie said...

A fantastic post

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Cath Wilson said...

I forget that avocados are pears...isn't it strange? I have grown to love them over the years but didn't like them at all when I first tasted them.
It's much easier to cut away stems, Elisabeth, and draw them in...? Works for me, even if it isn't perfect. Lovely celebration of delicious fruit and interesting murals. Appropriate for Remembrance Sunday...
Cath x

Meggymay said...

More great photos Elizabeth, I have my hubby coming now to look at the photos with me.
I loved the tag with the fruits and would not have tried to cut the stems either.
Have a good Sunday.
I will be watching TV for the Remembrance Service this morning.
The queen does attend but its Prince Charles who will be laying the poppy wreath for her while she watches from the balcony .
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

wow your tag is amazing-love it
awesome murals Happy Sunday

Iris Flavia said...

If that helps.... ;-) Perth-time is 7 hours ahead of Germany.
Sorry, I just could not resist.

Ike sure was a president to be proud of! Unlike the ones we have now.
It´s sad Obama had to go. We have Chancellor Merkel since 14 now, waaaay too long!

I like especially the graduation mural.
D-Day. Can you believe we did not learn about this at school?!

Oh, I love the seeds! Though, sadly, my 2-year old Avocado seems to die.
I try my best, she was a seed only (after I ate the fruit).
The circles seem perfect to my liking! Doesn´t it have a meaning, too? (Hopefully not for my avo!)

TammyVitale said...

Hi Elizabeth!
so good to see you in our yearly rendezvous here. I have been remiss in blogging, taking the easy route of posting on FB and Instagram. But I've caught myself up to date on the blog - everything in one place. I like having it yearly. Makes me blog (which I do so seldom anymore), and keeps a good record for me. Someday I'll have it all made into a book!

Love this post, especially the tags. Tags call to me and yet I never make them. I need to try - you insprie!

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful murals. I never realized the Eisenhowers lost their son at a young age and never knew where the origins of Camp David came from. Nice colors on your tag.

Sandra Cox said...

I LOVE your Tuesday Tag! And I'm so glad you shared information on Dwight E. I didn't realize he was from KS or had lost a child.

Mae Travels said...

Thank you for the mural tour of the Eisenhower museum, which as you say is timely for the holiday tomorrow. I find it fascinating how the years that have past have more and more shown that Eisenhower's actions as president were far more effective and good for the country than originally thought to be.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, that's a great tag for the theme - love your trio of seedy fruits... what perfect images! Great to learn a little more about those detailed murals too. Hope you're enjoying a peaceful Sunday.
Alison x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great looking murals Elizabeth. And I like your artwork.

Thanks for your comment which I didn't publish. Please pass along any info Scott gives you. Thanks. I'm going to run Linux in a Virtual Box on Windows as a first step. I'm glad you clarified how you're using GIMP. I'll look at the GIMP download page: I thought they listed Linux as an available download, but I'll have to verify that. I have a lot of tools that use Windows, which is why I've been reluctant to switch. But Windows 10 is so bloated with Microsoft Adware, Bloatware, and Cr*pWare that it's running slow as molasses on a brand new machine! I might have to look into what else I can uninstall, which might help it run faster. (But that takes time to research, which is why getting to the point of "done" took me so long. And I just barely scratched the surface of what I can get rid of. Ugh.)

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth the photos of the murals at the museum are epic. I can't thank you enough for sharing with us. Also your "seeds" piece is so clear I could reach in and grab them.

Tom said...

...politics and service sure have changed since Ike's time!

Divers and Sundry said...

The murals really bring the history to life!

Cindy McMath said...

Love your tag Elizabeth! So bright and colourful. And tasty!

Sherry said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such nice comments for me. Your blog is amazing! I'll be coming back often as there is so much to see. Have a great afternoon! :o)

Michele said...

thank you for linking your amazing tag to tag tuesday! beautifully done. xo

R's Rue said...

Beauty.

My name is Erika. said...

What super mural, and how nice to see more the museum. You picked a super place to visit back on Museum Day. And cool tag. I didn't think to go seeds inside of something. Nice choice of fruits too. Have a great start to the new week. Hugs-Erika

aussie aNNie said...

Love the murals and a wonderful page.xx

Club Crafteria said...

Great museum, thanks for the walk-through. Your tag work looks lovely.

Following your wonderful blog now. Invite you to visit mine, and good if you follow too :)

Sami said...

Great visit to the Museum and I love the historical murals Elizabeth.
Your fruit/seed tags are beautiful, the fruit seems to jump at you, they look so real :)
Thanks for participating.

craftytrog said...

Interesting to see the murals Elizabeth, and that's a fabulous tag!
Happy new week,
Alison xx

s.c said...

Great murals. Its an impressive history.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Perfect for Remembrance Day!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous tag - my art time is limited at the moment as I am busy making samples for Crafty Individuals so I am continuing with my ATS entries and an occasional journal page - anything else is a bonus! Loved the murals and the return to the museum! Hugs, Chrisx

EricaSta said...

Interesting to read, I enjoyed your Post. Indeed we have to learn from the past but the human didn't.

Love your artwork...

Greetings & hugs, Heidrun

::: https://happy-hour-with-picts.blogspot.com :::