Friday, August 2, 2019

Second on the 2nd: Rust Dyeing


It's summer and I want to start dyeing fabric and paper again.  I also want to create some rusty fabric like I'm about to show.  Many of you have seen at least one of these two posts, but I want to begin by saying I want to make it abundantly clear that you must NEVER, EVER, EVER handle rusted fabric or paper without gloves until it has been neutralized.  Please play it safe.  Your blood hemoglobin will love you and you will be saving your health.  Having said that, I have two posts I want to share with you today.  The first is from August, 2014 and I only show the rusting, not the finished project.  I call it

Shibori Dyeing Experiment

I got it in my head to try a new shibori experiment.  Shibori dyeing is a way to fold, shape, and secure the fabric prior to dyeing it.  In the past, I've used plastic poles and PVC pipes to wrap the fabric that I dyed using various inks, sprays, and dyes.  Incidentally, tie-dyeing is considered a form of shibori dyeing.

For this experiment, I replaced my plastic poles with my large rusty container I found a couple of years ago in my neighbor's dumpster, and replaced my dyes with vinegar.  Additional supplies include a long strip of recycled bed sheet, a plastic bag, and disposable gloves I wear anytime I'm working with rust.

TIP: Always wear gloves (preferably disposable) when working with anything rusty.  Never touch the rusted piece with bare hands because the rust will enter your skin and mess with the hemoglobin in your blood.  Leave the gloves on through the entire process.

Like my regular shibori projects, I wrapped the fabric around the rusty part,

saturated the fabric with vinegar, then placed the entire assembly inside a plastic bag

that I tied tight,

and stored it upside down in the sun.

Four days later I opened the bag and removed my rusted shibori dyed fabric.  Those are rusty leaves that were inside the metal disk that I didn't notice till I removed the fabric.

Be sure you wear disposable gloves

while you unwind the fabric.  Isn't it lovely?  Much more subtle than I had hoped, but better than I expected.  I'm so glad I tried this, because it gives me another tool in my rusting arsenal.

Take the fabric (this is a thin cotton/poly blend) to your favorite sink, add warm water and baking soda (I use about 1/2 cup to a half filled sink, but this isn't rocket science, so more or less of either shouldn't hurt), swish the fabric around in the water/soda mix, then allow the fabric to soak in the mixture for a few minutes.  If the fabric is extra rusty, you may need to perform a second baking soda/water rinse.   Once the water runs clear, you can now remove your disposable gloves.  The rusted fabric is now safe to touch.  Rinse completely, then hang to dry, or dry in your dryer.

This project was completed over four days.  This is not a quick project, since rust dyeing depends on the heat and humidity levels of your area.  It's not a project you can start and complete in a day.  I hope you enjoyed this experiment.  I hope to have a few more before summer runs its course.


For my second experiment, this is the post I created in March, 2016 I called:

A Rusty Update

As promised these are the results of my latest rust dyeing experiments.

For those who don't remember what I rusted, I decided to show the pieces before I pulled everything apart.    The first rusty tin can practically fell away from the fabric as I was removing it from the bag, but everything else was still intact.  For some reason, I don't show the completed paper I rusted.  Maybe it is because I was a bit underwhelmed by it all.

As an aside, if you rust PAPER, in order to stop the rusting process and make it safe for you to handle the finished piece, please use a sealer of some type.  It could be a purchased sealer, a fixative, or cheap aerosol hairspray.  For fixing fabric, of course, you know I use baking soda and water.  And I always wear disposable gloves until after the final rinse or until after BOTH sides of the paper have been sprayed and dried.

It took a bit of manipulating, especially since most gloves I buy are too big for me, but I finally got the rusty wire off

this pipe.

I was shocked, yes SHOCKED, when I opened the fabric that I had wrapped steel wool around a tin can.  I had a horrible mess to clean up, even before I could soak the fabric three times in baking soda water.

Of course, the end results were well worth the effort because they were truly amazing.

This (and the photo above this one) are from the pipe.

This is from the rusty can that hadn't been held in place with wire.

And this fabric is from the can that had steel wool wrapped around it.  Each very different, yet all beautiful in their own way.

_________________________________________________________________

Although Second on the 2nd is normally open for five days, this link will close Monday afternoon at 4 p.m. when I post our first T party in August.  Since my Mr. Linky is a free membership, I can only post one link at a time.

Now it's time for you to link your second look on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  The only condition is it must have been published sometime in the past. Then link below and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.
 
Remember to share something from your blog that you showed previously. Be sure the link goes directly to your Second on the 2nd post and not your blog in general.
 




15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You got some lovely results in spite of the mess you had to clear away, rust is always so beautiful Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

awesome results-Years back I had so much fun rust dyeing-I did not know anything about needing to wear gloves to handle the cloth though-and I did allot of projects back then-thanks for that now I know-hugs

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - truly magical rusty effects - these are magnificent, particularly the one that made most mess... isn't it always the way?! I'm looking forward to having some extra space, especially outdoors, so that I can follow your inspiration. Love this!
Alison x

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing effects, you can be so happy with these fabrics, gorgeous!
Happy 2nd on the Second dear Elizabeth and have a happy day!
Susi xxx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your rusty effects look fantastic Elizabeth. I hadn't seen your original posts, so this was new to me. Did you make a blouse using the rusty fabric? Whatever you used it for, I'm sure it was beautiful. I enjoy seeing your dyeing posts.

Nancy said...

Lovely fabric results! Oh my, that steel wool really did make a mess. But apparently it allowed the rust to permeate the fabric beautifully.

My name is Erika. said...

That bucket created gorgeous rusty dyeing. Wow. I am really glad you shared this. I keep thinking about dyeing this summer but haven't really been motivated to go in that direction. But seeing this post has made me think about it some more. Happy August 2. Hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

You have so much more patience than I do! And this is very messy. The results are great, and you use them wonderfully! I finally have joined your second on the 2nd! I don’t post twice in one week very often, but it is fun. Thanks, Elizabeth!

Meggymay said...

Fabulous revisit post Elizabeth. I am always in awe of your rusting techniques and the super results you achieve.
Yvonne xx

aussie aNNie said...

wow how amazing is this rust technique..wonder if it 'rots' the fabric after a while....enjoy your weekend.xx

Rita said...

I love how the rust staining turned out!! :)

Caty said...

Wowwww those rusty fabrics look really Wonderful Elizabeth !!I loveeee the results. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. Hope I could try one day. That´s true that we can use the fabric with many possibilities in our artworks.
I wish you a very nice weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

Lisca said...

A-ma-zing!How beautiful, especially the last photos. What did you do with that beautiful fabric?
Thank you for sharing you second on the second,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

I must have seen this before but I don't remember it. YOur end results are really stunning. And I echo others -- what did you end up doing with the fabric?

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Sorry I didn't get here this time! What a a treat this post is though - you know how I love to see your fabric dyeing experiments! I love the patterns but can picture the bits of steel wool having had some sitting in a pot for a while - don't worry I didn't touch touch bare hands!! Hugs, Chrisx