Thursday, August 15, 2019

In the Tuscany Hills, part 3


I'm once again joining Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations this month's host at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Anything With Eyes.  Further, I'm joining More Mixed Media again with their monthly theme that includes something bright.  And because Try it on Tuesday's fortnightly theme is Wish You Were Here, I'm joining their challenge, too.

We are once again headed to the Tuscany hills.   This will be our fifth trip to Tuscany.  We have been to the coast, then we went inland where we visited the countryside and farms, and a few days ago, we visited the hills when we went to Sienna, a World Heritage City.  Yesterday we visited Montepulciano, also in the Tuscan hills.

Today we are still in the hills, but are visiting three separate towns that are all near Sienna.

Our first stop is Orvieto.

This Tuscan town sits high atop a rocky perch. 

Apparently, getting to the top where Orvieto sits is half the fun.  You have your choice of ascending by escalator or cable car. The strategically built town is free of modern-day traffic, which means there are no cars anywhere in Orvieto.

The entire town is filled with narrow streets, beautiful churches, a historic palace, and a maze of tunnels and caves, which includes an underground lifestyle.

Yes, we are visiting the hill towns in Tuscany today.

Our next stop is Cortona which is just a few miles from Sienna.  The city is enclosed by stone walls high on top of a Tuscan hill.   This hilltop town offers a panorama view of the entire countryside. 

Here I have shown the Piazza della Repubblica in Cortona.  Unfortunately, I typed Cortana in the text and delta instead of della.  Piazza della Repubblica is the main square and dates back to the Roman age.

In case you can't read it, or need to interpret:
Visit the tight-knit alleyways snaking out from its center of Piazza della Repubblica.  Don't forget to visit the 13th century town hall and the imposing cathedral.
For those who love literature, this is the town made famous by the novel Under the Tuscan Sun written by Frances Mayes.  Mayes still lives in Cortona throughout the year.

Only a few miles from both Sienna and Cortona is Assisi, a medieval jewel.  This includes the stunning UNESCO World Heritage Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi which was completed in 1253. 

The basilica, visible for miles, is built into the side of a hill and comprises two churches and a crypt where the remains of St. Francis of Assisi are interred. 

These two ladies are visiting these hilltop towns

and wishing their friend Eva could have joined them.

For this page, I began by spritzing my handmade shimmering mists on both sides of the substrate, which is 110 lb card stock.  This is the second side and it is as wonky as the side I showed yesterday.   I made this side even brighter than yesterday so it should definitely qualify for More Mixed Media.

The images came from an offer to visit Tuscany.  I outlined the edges around the images using my brand new Krylon Leafing Pen.  I computer generated the words and printed them on my laser printer.  I colored them using water soluble crayons.  I also printed a postcard back and cut it.  I used a metallic gel pen to write the words and address.  The "wish you were here" message qualifies it for Try it on Tuesday.  I learned my lesson from yesterday and secured the TH paper dolls securely to the ground.  Unfortunately, I didn't see the parts I was supposed to punch out before I had glued them tightly to the page.  Because the women have eyes, they qualify for Gill's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as Try it on Tuesday and More Mixed Media, too.



20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

More beautiful places to visit. Hope your 2 ladies manage the steep streets in their pretty shoes! You wrote on my blog about the leaves turning - it's much too early here, and many leaves have fallen, the weather has been too dry for so long that everything is drying out. Have a nice day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love all three parts of your tour to Tuscany, so pretty made. This background is so pretty again. Thank you for all the fantastic inspirations for AJJ and TioT.
Happy day dear Elizaneth!
Susi xxx

aussie aNNie said...

This is all so pretty and you have certainly designed fabulous viewing for me/us...am no too concerned re the post as it at times takes 3-4 weeks...I didn't put tracking on it as it was expensive to post as it was...getting a bit 'angry' though it hasn't arrived...Can you remember when I told you it was posted?

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely pages. My great-grandfather was born in Siena so it's nice to get a glimpse of the area where he was from.

Gibby Frogett said...

Another beautiful Tuscany page for AJJ - thank you Elizabeth.
Fascinating and interesting info and great images as always.
Gill x

Birgit said...

Great looking page with the bright pink set against the Tuscan town that I would love to visit.

Meggymay said...

Wow, I am enjoying my visit to Tuscany as I look at your fabulous journal pages, the background compliments the photos so well.
Thank you for linking with us at TioT's and for all the support you give us there.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

It's a wonderful page. and I envy the girls their visit there! I hope Eva gets to join them. I love your colourful splashy background too Elizabeth.
Alison xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Another lovely travel art journal page Elizabeth. I enjoy seeing these. Wonderful background for this. I like the vintage ladies.

Divers and Sundry said...

Thank you for taking me on this virtual tour. I can close my eyes and picture myself there :) When I open them back up I'm focused on your background. I love that look!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

WHOA !!! HOW TOTAL LEE KEWL IZ ST FRANCIS' BASILICA !!!! 984 PAWZ UP TIMEZ A BAZILLION !!! HE IZ R HEE ROE YA NOE ;) 3♥♥♥♥

Susan Kane said...

We saw Under the Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane and resolved to visit there someday. That hasn't happened yet.

So I look at your artwork and appreciate its beauty.

My name is Erika. said...

More cool splatters and more cool Tuscan views. One thing I always find fascinating at those tall skinny cypress trees that scream Italy to me. You scenery view has lots of them. And nice that you are taking us on this fun summer vacation from our chairs and couches. Hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

I'm enjoying the lovely tour, as are the two ladies:)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Loving those handmade mists i'd have thought they were distress inks if you had not mentioned otherwise. Those Tuscan views are fabulous as said before a place I long to visit and just sit and take in the views. With a sketch pad and pencil I would be in my element, I would not need for much more. Thanks for taking us on this journey Elizabeth, i'm always pleased when I get chance to pop on over as you give us so much more than just pictures.
Wishing you a fabulous weekend Hugs Tracey xx

Rike said...

Now this was a very joyful travel to Tuscany - you made a wonderful collage! And thank you for the interesting informations to each picture, I enjoyed! Ten years ago I was travelling to Tuscany in real life and it was a wonderful time! From there I have my best memories.
Wish you a happy weekend, dear Elizabeth and Bleubeard! Rike xx

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, sigh, yes please... can I go now? Definitely envying those women their trip today. And I love how you've got those sunrise colours drifting around the inky background.
Alison x

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Beautiful photos and interesting facts. I'm packing my bags! Happy Weekend. Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Another fabulous page Elizabeth, and more memories for me! The day we went to Assisi we went up into the clouds and it was pouring with rain. We made our way to the Basilica via a couple more churches and when we got there we could hardly make out the Basilica across the grass. We went for a coffee before visiting and when we went out the rain had stopped. The inside was wonderful and by the time we went to catch our coach the sun was shining! I love the colours you have used! Thank you for this lovely entry at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.