Saturday, June 8, 2019

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says the meme cites there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films.  She has a fun, quirky way of giving an in-depth review.   Her synopses are not to be missed. If you aren't familiar with her movie reviews, please check out her blog.

One thing you should know about my choice is you won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.   Having said that, you are going to think I have a screw loose when I announce I am reviewing

Legally Blonde.  Yes, you read correctly.  I first saw this 2001 film that stars the brilliant Reese Witherspoon on TV several weeks ago.  I could not believe it was designated a comedy.  Or maybe I don't grasp the meaning of "American" comedy, since I have inherited my grandmother's British humor.  I found a few funny spots, but for the most part, I felt quite moved emotionally by this film.

It's about a rich stereotypical American blonde (Witherspoon) who falls for a guy who doesn't take her seriously, especially now that he has been accepted into Harvard Law School.  The girl wants desperately to keep the guy, so studies very hard, passes the admittance test, and gets admitted to Harvard Law, too.

It's there the girl finds she is out of her element, and also that the boy is actually engaged to the girl who is bullying her.  Not to be deterred, the girl ignores the bully and applies for one of the coveted internships, which she gets, mostly because of her looks and her resume written on scented pink paper.

Once part of the team, the girl focuses on her elements of fashion and beauty and defends a client who has been accused of killing her husband.  In the end, the girl shows her ability to put those skills to work as she uncovers the true person who committed the murder.  However, before she can do that, she has to overcome sexual harassment and degradation.  I feel there is definitely a lesson to be learned about not judging a book by its cover and not letting beauty or bullies stand in your way.

I understand this is on Amazon prime and Netflix.  However, it is also on cable TV, too.  You just have to watch for it.

Thanks for joining me today.  Please remember to be kind to everyone, be generous, don't be a bully, don't let anyone put you in a compromising situation, and don't judge people by their looks or how they dress.

As much as I enjoy playing with this small group who enjoy this meme, I have decided I must put it on hiatus through the end of July.  Because I'm now devoting Mondays to showing my ICADs, my first obligation is to Art Journal Journey (AJJ).  That means I will be able to devote Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday to AJJ.  Starting the first Saturday in August, I will resume joining the fun Saturday at the Movies because ICADs will be completed. Thanks for understanding.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Not a film I have seen or want to see, sorry. Have a fun weekend, I'm off out again although it's very windy here today. Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

I have seen this movie. Labeled it cute and a chick flick. I didn't look at its themes any deeper. I stand corrected.

Sami said...

I didn't watch it thinking it would be a silly movie, but it seems there's more to it! Maybe the title is a bit misleading :) Thanks Elizabeth.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I saw this movie awhile ago, and liked it.

kathyinozarks said...

Great movie share-I love this actress and this was really a fun movie-I think there was a part 2 for this one too. Happy Weekend

My name is Erika. said...

You and Kathy are in sync his weekend. I like this and part 2 a lot. They may not be award winners but they sure are enjoyable to watch. And a good role model for girls. My daughter and I watched this one about 50 times when she was younger. Happy Saturday! Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

You lost me here ;)

I'll miss your Saturday movie posts and look forward to their return :)

froebelsternchen said...

I will see if I find it on Netflix or Amazon Prime..sounds fun!!!
Happy Saturday dear Elizabeth!
I sent a mail to the juno adress just now as I got two times an ERROR message from the other adress! Hope it works -
I am not at home and not online until Monday - hope everything is o.k. with the challenges during this time -
Big hugs, and happy Sunday ahead as well for you!

Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

Not a film I've seen either, but I do like a comedy, preferably a laugh out loud one. One of these days I may have to sign up for Netflix or something similar.
Yvonne xx

Sandra Cox said...

Excellent review and makes me rethink the movie.
Hope your weekend is wondrous.

Rita said...

I really like Reece as an actress but wasn't expecting much from this when I saw it. as much better than I ever thought it would be. :)

RO said...

Once again you've chosen a movie I've seen several times(lol) Like you, I felt this was a great opportunity to point out that we can't judge a book by its cover, and I also saw it as a reminder that friends can be anyone or everywhere or any age. I speak specifically about Paulette, the nail salon lady and Elle and their unexpected friendship. It's ironic that you chose this movie, because Elle will be back for more fun in a new movie in 2020. Yay!(lol)Hugs and Happy Sunday. RO p.s. Can you tell I'm really into movies?(lol)

pearshapedcrafting said...

I seem to recall watching this on TV but fear it did not make an impact on me at all! Chrisx

Birgit said...

Sorry I am so late but i was another busy weekend. I have seen this film more than once, on the small screen and I do laugh often at her goofy Barbie ways but also how she uses her brain to help people out from her friend at the nail shop(I love that actress) who stands up to her slob of a husband to get her dog to the nerdy boy who can't get a date. It is a romantic comedy with intelligence behind it which is the kind of romance movie I like (Unless it is an old film). I can't stand romance films that are just romance because I normally want to kill the protagonists for being so stupid.

Caty said...

I haven´t seen this movie, it may be interesting, yes, you´re right Elizabeth, sometimes we chose a film, or a book by the aspect of the cover, first image, but we´re wrong, we can discover much more between files.
Thanks so much for sharing, and I wish you a very nice Thursday,
Big hugs, Caty