Friday, June 7, 2019

Friday Smiles 324: Back to the Museum of World Treasures


Once again, I'm joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.   This is the first Friday Smiles after the WOYWW crop, and I look forward to seeing what I may have missed.   But first, yesterday we celebrated D-Day, the battle fought by British, Canadians, Aussies (and others), and the U.S., collectively known as the "Allies," which also included the Russians, against the "Axis."

Since it was such a relevant day in WWII, which was actually the turning point in the war in Europe, I thought I would include a few of my favorite facts I read and quoted yesterday from D-Day Facts (please be aware, these are quoted, not necessarily well written):
During D-Day landings, Condoms were used to cover the head of the Rifle from getting wet. 
During the D-Day invasion, Penicillin was carried along with the troopers that helped thousands of wounded soldiers.
Due to the D-Day fighting on Normandy beaches, 4% of the sand is made of metal particles. 
To collect the information of French beaches for the suitable landing on D-Day, the BBC conducted a fake competition for French Beach holiday photographs.
For the preparation of D-Day the British produced 7,000,000 Jerry Cans  (An early version of the cans used to hold gasoline).
For the D-Day invasion the British sent Low-Flying Spitfires to survey the beaches of invasion zones and brought back thousands of photos to analyze on Beach Defense strategy.  
For the D-Day invasion British sent Mini Submarines at night to collect samples of beach sand and land soils.
Richard Todd, an officer in 7th Parachute Battalion on D-Day, also played a character in the 1962 movie “The Longest Day” which was about the D-Day.
Canadian Soldier James Doohan is also an actor in Star Trek who played Captain Scotty, survived the D-Day after being shot 4 times in leg, one through his chest and one through his finger. 
During the D-Day invasion, some of the Free French, Poles, Belgians, Czechs, Greeks, Dutch, Norwegians, Aussies and kiwis joined with the Allied Armed Forces Troops. 

And now let's return to the Museum of World Treasures and continue with even more WWII. 

I'm not sure you'll be able to read these, but what might help is if you double click on the images so they fully enlarge to fit most of your screen.

On the left and in the middle are examples of how Wichita participated in the war by building aircraft.  We are still known as the Air Capital of the World.

Personally, I'm not sure I want you to read about the Internment Camps shown on the right.  This is our (U.S.) shame.  And it seems we are once again doing it, this time to those people fleeing from Central America by placing them in detention camps at the U.S./Mexican border.  Will we ever learn?  Probably not!

It's obvious the British had it a great deal harder than we in the States did during WWII.





I apologize this is too blurry to read.  Maybe it's for the best.

This is one display I really enjoyed.


Propaganda could be positive or negative.



I found it fascinating how the Germans, Japanese, and U.S. controlled their war time propaganda  (Today, we are subjected to Tweets).



I believe this is a good place to stop.  More WWII next time, too.

Once again, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to visit today.  I'll see you at Friday Smiles where it never hurts to start the weekend with a smile or two. 

16 thoughtful remarks:

Twiglet said...

We have so much to be thankful for to the WW2 generation. Don't forget to send me your address if you would like our ATCs. xx Jo

Annie said...

I have been watching the D Day celebrations....the old men are so heart warming. Such special men.
Hugs,
Annie x

aussie aNNie said...

WW11 that was when real men were around. Great post.

My name is Erika. said...

Your museum visit today fits well with yesterday's D Day celebration. It is a fascinating time to read about, maybe because being the age I am I heard so many stories about it. Thanks for adding to yesterday;s post by taking us back to the museum today. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

The WW2 generation - we should never forget and honour them!!!
Great that you always recall important things of history Elizabeth!
Happy Friday my friend!

Big hugs,
Susi

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great history in that museum Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

I find this museum especially fascinating. I've always thought the internment camps in the US were one of the worst parts of our history. It's difficult to see it happening again, in a way, with the immigrants.

Splendid post and photos, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thank you for this post. Very moving. D-Day seems so far away when you hear about it, but something like this museum brings it close and personal.

Divers and Sundry said...

An appropriate museum exhibit for the D-Day observance. Brave people who did their duty. I got a kick out of your mention of tweets lol

Let's Art Journal said...

Lest we forget! Thanks for sharing, it's a wonderful way to commemorate the brave men and women of WWII, it's important to remember and honour them 😀. Wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

A very interesting post. I tried to leave a comment this morning and it didn't work, so just a quickie now before I fall into bed. Been out all day. Valerie

Meggymay said...

The photos you chose to share today were a good way to end this week commemorating the the D day landings. History is important for us as well as the generations to come. We should never forget.
Yvonne xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I've really enjoyed your post today. We've been celebrating D-Day here in the UK this week and there have been some interesting programs on TV. Yesterday I watched The Longest Day which I've never seen before as I'm not a big lover of war films. There have been lots of things this week that I've learned about it all. We didn't learn about the second world war when my husband and I were at school though they do teach it now. We were born in 1954 and I think it was felt that it was just too close. My father who is 92 this year was in Germany towards the end of the war and has told me some things that happened then. Obviously living in Lincoln we've seen a lot of old planes flying over this week as part of the celebrations.
Hope your weekend is happy. Big hugs from me and Maisie and Stan too xxx

Caty said...

So interesting your post Elizabeth !! So hard days during this war, what a pity. As I always say, we must remember our story, and learn about how to be better people every day.
I wish you a very nice weekend, with good weather,
Big hugs, Caty

mamapez5 said...

Lots of interesting photos today Elizabeth and very apt for a week when we were remembering the D-Day landings.Kate x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Some facts there I did not know! We have had some very interesting programmes on TV lately about the landings! We are considering a trip there , maybe next year! Chrisx