Monday, March 4, 2019

Mardi Gras in the Big Easy


It's Mardi Gras time.  What better place to experience it, than in the Big Easy, or NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana).  Of course, when I think of Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday, I think of spring, the day before Lent begins, and a party wherever you live.  That means I'm once again joining Jo from Let's Art Journal who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme Hello Springtime.

"Welcome to Mardi Gras in the Big Easy."

Jackson Square sits in the heart of the French Quarter.  It is flanked by two red brick four-story Pontalba buildings which can be seen in the background.

In the center of Jackson Square sits a statue of Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the U.S..

He was the hero of the Battle of New Orleans, a battle between the British army and the United States army, which was led by Jackson.

In 2008, a bill was passed into law making the fleur-de-lis an official symbol of the state of Louisiana, and New Orleans uses it often as their symbol.  Since I used embossing powders to color the fleur-de-lis, I am also joining Try it on Tuesday where their theme is Powder Your * * *

For Mardi Gras, the colors purple, green, and gold are predominant.



Let's put on our Mardi Gras masks, join the King of Krewes (a social organization that puts on a parade or ball for the Carnival season and Mardi Gras in NOLA),

and reach for beads that are passed out (thrown) by the Krewe of each parade float.

I began with black construction paper as my substrate.  Not good for archival work, but works when black is needed.  This is 9" X 12" (22,9 X 30,5 cm).  I added three images from three different travel magazines.  The fleur-de-lis stamp is the first I ever bought.  It is a foam stamp and I used the outline to create the backing for the stamp.  I used two embossing powders for the stamp, one glitter gold, and one
verdigris.  Finally, I added computer generated text I colored using metallic gel markers, then placed on top of green colored paper.

I'm thrilled you decided to join me today and hope this encourages you to celebrate Fat Tuesday tomorrow.  Please also join me at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday, too.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful piece. Carnival is in full swing here, today most towns hold big parades, and the biggest ones are in Cologne and Düsseldorf. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

What a fabulous page and I learnt some interesting new to me things ! Thank you for a wonderful entry for Try It On Tuesday and Art Journal Journey at once! You rock again my friend! Happy start of the week dear Co.-Admin.
To be honest I am not very keen on all things Carnival, but I am happy for the people who enjoy it so much. And it's something for the economic system. So they shall all celebrate if they want but without me....lol.
Big, big hugs,
Susi

Gibby Frogett said...

Loved todays post and artwork Elizabeth - very fascinating and interesting.
My cousin and his wife live there - but I had no idea about 'Nola' and 'The big easy' so that was great to learn.
Have a lovely week... Gill x

RO said...

Yay to Mardi Gras and all those beds. I'm a huge fan of purple and gold and really love your colorful artwork. Lots of interesting facts too! Hugs...RO

Barbara said...

Great theme, and your take on it is perfect! Hard to think of spring here though with snow on the ground, lol. You are correct, still a stand of with Seamus and our two kitties here. It’s the kitties’ fault though. Seamus just wants to be friends, and they don’t. Thanks for visiting, I’ll post more amusing photos soon.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great collage for Mardi Gras. Thanks for sharing some of the history behind New Orleans.

R's Rue said...

Love.

Cindy McMath said...

I thought I was pretty well caught up on your blog but I see three entries since last time I checked! I will go and comment on the other two posts shortly, but I’ll start with this one. I love it! I love masks and used to have a bit of a little collection. I’ve never been to NOLA - your page makes me want to go. I love the way you combined some of the historic places with the Mardi Gras theme. And I love the two-toned embossing on the fleur de lis. All in all, a beautiful page.

Let's Art Journal said...

It was wonderful to celebrate Mardi Gras with you, especially as I believe the parade has been cancelled tomorrow because of the weather! Your page really captures the party mood and is a wonderful addition to our Hello Springtime theme over at Art Journal Journey 😁. Thanks so much and wishing you a great day! J 😊 x

Meggymay said...

The pictures of Mardi Gras look awesome, even the colours make you feel you are part of the celebration. Those masks look fantastic and so does the Fleur-de-lis emblem you embossed. A real touch of sparkle and glamour.
It is a wonderful page and you includes some interesting facts.
Thank you for being our Guest Designer for this theme at Try it on Tuesdays and for all the support you have given us there, as well as visiting the folk who joined the challenge, your inspiration has been very much appreciated.
Yvonne xx
p.s. I an in happy heaven and just sent you an email.

My name is Erika. said...

Now that is an original idea for spring. I would never have thought of that but it is a great idea. I love the page and all the masks in the one photo. NOLA is an interesting place and I bet it is insane at Mardi Gras, as it is insane in the fall (about 12 years ago) when I was there and add about a million more people. Great post today! Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Such of burst of color. Very welcome on my snowy morning. Fun to see you worked in the same color palette, green, purple, gold, that I'm working in. Enjoy your day!

Divers and Sundry said...

Mardi Gras is the only time of year I _wouldn't_ want to be in New Orleans lol But I'm ready for my Shrove Tuesday/Mardi Gras pancakes and Spring. I long for longer and hotter days :)

Jeanie said...

I would avoid NOLA like the plague at this time of year! We don't get into Mardi Gras much up north. But be TOO north for it!

Caty said...

This is another so so Gorgeous Art page Elizabeth !! I love love it, and can learn a little bit about this celebration there, lovely Nola. Our best cities for carnaval in Spain are Cádiz and Tenerife (Canarias).
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugs, Caty

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth and the colours you used really do conjure up that Carnival feeling. It was interesting to read about Mardi Gras coinciding with our Shrove Tuesday, I didn't realise.
Thanks for sharing with us at TioT and for being our Guest Designer too.
Avril xx

kathyinozarks said...

a fabulous page-and I totally forgot all about mardi gras lol so I really loved your page

sheila 77 said...

I always enjoy your posts which combine your art with new (to me) facts. Of course I enjoy your other posts too.
You give the atmosphere of the Mardi Gras with the fleur-de-lis and the masks, and interesting about Jackson Square and Jackson too.

Susan Kane said...

You have a great eye for what works and what doesn't!

Being Protestants, we knew nothing about Shrove Tuesday until we moved to Ireland. We loved the tradition.

That restaurant! Oh boy howdy. That is my place to stop!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous artwork.
I love the masks, so colourful.

All the best Jan

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Really enjoyed reading this Elizabeth and so interesting about Mardi Gras and the Fleur-de-Lis symbol. My Father in Law retraced his Merchant Navy days before he passed away with Louisiana being one of those places. Each of my Children have a Mardi Gras coin he brought back. I'd love to see the Carnival in full swing your page is full of the glitz and glamour.
Wishing you a super day and as it's Tuesday although there will no doubt be a Tuesday post (playing catch up again!!) Happy T Day if I don't get round to catching that post..
HUgs TRacey xx

Little Artbee said...

Wonderful Mardi Gras collage dear Elizabeth, the masks look so nice with its fresh colors.
Dear Greetings and happy March to you.
Sabine

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! Mardi Gras is such a popular Spring festival and I loved these images and information! Your Fleur de Lys looks wonderful too! When I was younger today was known as Shrove Tuesday generally but now the original meaning is lost in calling it Pancake day...and of course I shall enjoy my pancakes today! Thank you so much for this final entry at TIOT, you have been an excellent Guest Designer! Hugs, Chrisx

Dianne said...

happy mardi gras dear friend! hope you enjoy some king cake for me! deliciously colorful and festive page!

Words and Pictures said...

New Orleans is a city I'd love to visit. I'm always looking for a chance to "time travel" when I visit a place, and it seems like it's somewhere with history pouring out of every pore. Love your page celebrating Mardi Gras - all those rich golds and purples are so eye-catching against the black night background.
Alison x