Thursday, November 1, 2018

Vintage Modern


Today is the first of the month and we now welcome a new host to Art Journal Journey.  It's BioArtGal, my dear internet friend Erika, whose theme is Vintage or Modern.

I decided to go with Vintage Modern.

The child is vintage,


while I tried to make the background modern.





 
For this page, I began with a sheet of 110 lb. cardstock to which I added a page from a dictionary that I had spritzed with gold and turquoise handmade shimmering mists.  I painted four pages using turquoise, red, purple, and orange paints, then cut them apart and affixed them to the substrate.  I printed, colored, and fussy cut the focal image and attached it to the background.   I have NO idea why my font size changed so radically, but I've done everything I know to change the size, to no avail.   

Bleubeard and I are so happy you chose to join us today and hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey.   Please be aware, we want you to join us with your altered book pages, loose pages, journal pages, and/or canvases.  However, we cannot accept cards or tags, and will be forced to delete them.  Digital art is always welcome.

I am also joining Art Every Day Month, or AEDM.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page and theme, have a fun month. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love your clever VINTAGE/MODERN page - the vintage girl fits your modern background so well! Looks amazing! I am sure we all will have fun this month with Erika's topic and you will have double- fun at AJJ and AEDM!
Happy start of November dear Co.-Admin!
Have a great day!
Hugs, Susi

johanna said...

nice to meet you at AEDM, too:))
and like susi said: a great combo of vintage center and modern frame!!
xox, johanna

Heike`sAugenBlick said...

Good morning dear, what an amazing collage with modern paper and that sweet vintage child...so cute!! I love your inspiration for the challenge from Erika... Have a beautiful month..xoxo Heike

My name is Erika. said...

I love this vintage modern piece. It is like your collages we get to see every Monday. I've made a few vintage modern pages myself, which you will get to see. Thanks for your support. The collaged colored background (vintagisized-my new word if its not one) is perfect.
I've made a few vintage modern pages myself, which you will get to see. Thanks for your support. And thanks for letting me know about art every day. Think I will join in myself. Happy November-hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I like how you combined both trends to make Vintage Modern. Bright colors and the little girl in her vintage costume. Maybe you created a new designer trend.

Cindy McMath said...

Wow this is a great page Elizabeth! I love how the colours pop and also the combining of the two themes - well done! I don’t think I will do AEDM this year - I am creating art daily but posting it daily and visiting all the other participants is a whole other ballgame. I don’t think I can manage the time this year.

Meggymay said...

I love this design of this page, both vintage and modern together, awesome.
The colours and the dictionary pieces look fantastic.
I am going to have a look at AEDM and am tempted to join in.
Yvonne xx

jinxxxygirl said...

Hello Elizabeth!!! LOVE your bright colors here.. The squares reminded me of high rise buildings which would be definitely modern.. hugs! deb

TammyVitale said...

always good to see your name on the Art Every Day Month blog!

Sami said...

Nice vintage modern page Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

What fun!

I have to say that I can't recall how I happened to fall in with you and your creative friends, but y'all add so much to my online life and make me think more creatively in "real life" than I used to. Thank you!

Mia said...

GORGEOUS page, Elizabeth, and perfect for the theme!!!!!!!! Kisses, my friend.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Elizabeth, I love the vintage/modern mash-up you've done. Sounds like something I'd do. ;-) Very colorful and eye-catching. xoxo

Eileen Bergen said...

Very cute, Elizabeth.I love that you combined Vintage AND Modern and made it work! Eileen xox

peggy gatto said...

Just wonderful art!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I really like this piece Elizabeth; the child "asks" for you to read what's behind him !! good job ☺☺♥

sheila 77 said...

Nice idea to combine vintage and modern in one piece. I do like your colourful patchworked background, very modern, and the child does look vintage in his vintage clothes, so different from the clothes the modern children wear now.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

She looks great in her outfit posing in front of the modern background. Lovely Vintage Modern artwork.

-Soma

pearshapedcrafting said...

Absolutely adore this page - the modern and vintage go so well together! I had forgotten about my wishing to join AED this year but having just completed 31 day of a challenge I don't think I could make it! Enjoy your month! Chrisx

Rita said...

Good luck with the art every day. I can't keep up with just your blogs. You get so much done. Great start to the month's challenge. :)

Nigel said...

Nice mix of the two prompts.

I'm having a go at AEDM again, let's see how i do this year :)

Darla said...

Very attractive page, I like the color blocks with the vintage image.

Jeanie said...

Oh, what fabulous colors, composition and such a sweet image! I love it!

craftytrog said...

A great mix of vintage and modern Elizabeth! xx