Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Santorini on our magic carpet


I'm joining Hazel of Hazels' Creative Moments again because she is this month's host at Art Journal Journey.  Hazel wants us to join her on a magical mystery tour.  It can be anywhere, past, present, or imagined.

But first, I want to share the wonderful gifts I received from art friends for my birthday.    Ironically, I'm sharing these in the reverse order they were received.

These came from my friend Patty.   It's hard to see, but those die cuts at the bottom are actually maps of the United States.  I can use them when I start on my North America  portion of 7 Continents.  Patty told me the bees were ones she printed out from her laser printer.  They are fabulous.  The bird is a cake topper (very appropriate) and the stamps

are older and tell us Earth Day is every day!

The card is beautiful, and Patty told me she left it blank so I could pass it on to someone else, or keep it for myself.


Linda gave me a fabulous tag that honors tea and coffee.  I really LOVE it, too.  And that marbled paper will be used very soon, I am sure.

Such attention to detail, this tag is lovely from its background to pretty flowers.

Next came Krisha's gift.  Or perhaps I should say gifts.  Look at all those incredible die cuts.  Those will be put to great use very soon, too.  She also included a birthday napkin and two sheets of colored tissue.

And look at this beautiful card she made.  I can only imagine how long it took her to color the flowers and sentiment.  It's fabulous.

Last, but not least, is the package that came from my friend Chris in the UK.  She stamped and fussy cut a few images for me, which I was truly grateful for.  She also knows I love stencils, and sent me these, which appear to be about ATC size.  Then there are the bunny napkins, some stamped and colored images, two tiny doilies, and washi tape.  LOTS of washi tape.


Love the tiny tapes.  They are SO cute.  Then there are the various words I can use for my 7 Continents AB.

Did I mention washi tape?  Between Chris and Cindy, who sent an equal number at Christmas, I now have more washi tape than I know what to do with it.

And then there's the lovely card showing it was for my BEARTHday.  Clever.

Finally, a table full of thoughtful gifts


from two views.

 But now let's jump on that magic carpet and head back to Santorini.

We are once again flying on that magic carpet to Santorini, specifically Oia again.

These blue domes sit atop a church in Oia.  Famous for their blue domes, many visitors take photos of these three domes together.

This is St. Nicholas with its curved roofs and stone arches.  There are three arches.  The middle one has the door and the two outside ones have windows.  The blue gate is gorgeous against the white walls.

I added the herbs because this is an ideal region for them to grow, mostly in pots, I would suspect, although they don't mind growing in rough or rocky soil, as I learned in the herb workshop I took.  They also like the sun and heat from this region.

My substrate was a piece of cardboard, and the various craft acrylics were applied with a faux credit card.  Now that my recycling days are over, I have to admit that I probably could have included this as recycled, because it was a piece of cardboard, but I used acrylic paint I paid for, and I'm not sure I really recycled anything other than the cardboard and the images.

Thanks for joining me today.  Your comments mean everything to me.  I am grateful you stayed with me through this recycle time, as well as viewing my wonderful birthday gifts.  Now let's jump on our magic carpet and head to Art Journal Journey where Susi and Hazel are waiting for us.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Enjoy all your lovely gifts, have fun playing with them. Wonderful pages of Santorini, what a contrast to our unseasonable cold and windy weather here in Europe. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

wonderful gifts, indeed. could do with some of that Santorini warmth... it's COLD here!!

Helen said...

re your comment.. calico is just the name for the fabric, you can indeed get it patterned but I wanted plain.

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing gifts - and I am looking forward to what you will create with all the fab goodies you got! An AMAZING Santorini page again! You are so nice to support Hazel's theme so much! Thank you Elizabeth!
I was happy to hear that you and the boys liked my little birthdaywishes by mail♥♥♥
oxo Susi

hazel said...

Another amazing Santorini journal page and what wonderful birthday gifts you received, have fun creating with them.
xxx Hazel.

Sami said...

Wonderful gifts Elizabeth. I like the butterfly stamps and the card made with dried flowers!

Jeannette said...

amazing gifts,enyoy with them,and your magical page is beautiiful.
happy reat week.

hugs jenny

My name is Erika. said...

Wow. You were showered with birthday gifts. But they say April showers bring May flowers so I guess we will be seeing some fantastic art with these gorgeous things. 😀🤓. And I am glad to be back to santorini. It's gorgeous there. I like how you added the herb stamps because it made me think of the delicious food I might eat when there. Happy mid week. It's raining hard here. But that makes a good art day. Hugs erika

chrissie said...

Beautiful gifts from wonderful friends and I look forward to seeing them on yout projects

The colours on your work today are terrific and made me think of sunshine on this dull and rainy day

Love Chrissie xx

Jeanie said...

I love how you explain your process, Elizabeth. It's a wonderful reminder of techniques we sometimes forget.

It looks as though you had a pretty fabulous birthday. Going to the mailbox must have been a great joy over the past weeks! My belief? Celebrate as long as you can!

Cindy McMath said...

Can't wait to see some of these new items put to use in your art! Loved seeing the Santorini page as well - the colours are truly breathtaking.

CJ Kennedy said...

Such wonderful and thoughtful gifts. Will look forward to seeing what you do with them. I just love the blue domes, and your pages make me feel as if I've visited the island.

nanskidrewski said...

Lovely cards and such awesome gifts. You will have fun with your presents. Love the Santorini pages, so colorful and full of life. Nice to look at on a rainy, grey day here

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, what fabulous thoughtful gifts-so much fun! I had never heard of the wasbi tape before reading posts at the T Party so I must check that out-sounds like a nice way to finish off edges too.
Loved your art too
enjoy your day
Kathy

Darla said...

Wonderful gifts and you deserve every one of them. I know you keep me going when sometimes life makes the "going" hard. I even thought of giving up my blog at one point (I'm sure you can guess when) but couldn't give up my visits to you and the friends I've made through you. So... there you have it, my THANK YOU along with my wish that you have a really wonderful year.

Linda Kunsman said...

what a joyful birthday celebration you have had- a cyber party but with real gifts! Thanks for sharing all the goodies, and so glad they made your day. Santorini looks absolutely breathtaking! I know I'd love it there.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

happy belated birthday to you Elizabeth; ♫♪♫♪♫♪

what awesome gifts you received; they are all fantastic !!!

hope bleu and squiggles were good cats and didn't get into the birthday cake; and as da tabbies say; heerz two a yeer a head filled with happee nezz N health ♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

Lovely gifts for a lovely person.
Enjoyed the magical carpet ride.

Meggymay said...

Enjoy using your wonderful gifts.
Your magical mystery tour destination looks very inviting warm and sunny, I could do with a little of that coming my way.
Yvonne xx

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

You got some great birthday gifts -- and you can never have more washi than you know what to do with. I'm just sayin'. I've been to the Greek islands and your pages make me want to go back.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What lovely cards and gifts Elizabeth! Hope you can use that washi tape!! Your Santorini page is wonderful! I love your painted background! Hugs, Chrisx

Nancy said...

Lovely post and lovely gifts! Did I spy two small fish stencils among them? What fun. I'm not sure how you held yourself back from diving right in and making something with just these supplies. Washi tape and all!

Rita said...

Wonderful cards and gifts!! :) :)

Dianne said...

Beautiful gifts and pages!! love the stamps and exotic images you've used...and the cards and gifts your received are lovely. Hope you have a terrific year! ♥

Sandy said...

What a Happy Birthday you had and well deserved I am sure! Love your page about Santorini - a most magical place for sure! I know you will enjoy using your birthday presents Elizabeth and those cards were beautiful!
sandy xx