Monday, August 22, 2016

T Stands for Merle's Restaurant


Recently my friend Sally and I went to Merle's restaurant, where we have been before.

I like the menu

because it looks like a regular newspaper on the outside.

But looks are quite deceiving, aren't they?

I ordered the Ava-cada Deal For You sandwich because it was vegetarian.

I didn't understand much about the bill, which our waiter left when he took our order, except I knew I got the # 9 and something on the side.

Sally got curious about the bill, but after she looked at it,

I told her she had to smile because all the T participants think she looks GREAT when she smiles.  I guess it's obvious we both had water with lemon as our drink of choice.

I was surprised when I got my sandwich.  There sure wasn't much avocado or guacamole on it, especially considering that is what the sandwich was named for.  It wasn't the worst sandwich I've had, but it was quite dry.  Other than that, it was rather tasty, even though I only ate half at the restaurant.  I took the other half home and doctored it with ranch dressing, making it far easier to swallow (so to speak).

Now it's your turn to share a drink related post.  Anything is acceptable as long as there is a reference, in some way, to a drink, ANY drink.  By now you should know that once you link, Bleubeard, the T gang, and I will be by to visit.  I might even persuade Squiggles to join us, too.  So, please add your direct link, and not your blog in general, below.




18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you and Sally enjoyed your visit to the restaurant, and yes, she looks fab when she smiles and 20 years younger! Love the menu, never seen one like that before, what fun. Sorry your sandwich was a bit dry, but everything tastes good with ranch dressing, so you got another meal from it at home. Tomorrow is Tuesday market, so I will drink my coffee there, look at the man in the fountain, and think of you! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh yes I do love Sally's smile(as I am smiling back)! The sandwich sounded really promising but I can understand the bit of disappointment with the contents...love the newspaper layout of the menu though:):) So good to connect again Elizabeth! Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

Too bad the sandwich wasn't as cool as the menu. But love seeing Sally smile! Happy T Day Elizabeth! Hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

I'm always interested in veggie sandwiches. Was there something on there besides avocado and cheese? Are you a vegetarian too, Elizabeth?

Sami said...

A very interesting menu.
At least you made the sandwich taste better at home. Maybe you can suggest they do the same at the restaurant...

froebelsternchen said...

Sounds good - sorry that the sandwich wasn't so good! Great to see Sally smiling!
Happy T-Day Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

Lisca said...

Say thank you to Sally for smiling. She does look great when she smiles. Please tell her she has greetings from Spain.
Wow, that was an unusual menu! I like the idea. I'm glad you had a good time at the restaurant even though your sandwich was slightly disappointing.
Have a lovely T-day!,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Yes that sandwich does look alit disappointing ! Sally however, like myself, looks better when caught smiling! Tony took a very serious looking me the other day - I am deleting it when I can!!! Not stopping long here and will post later - it's our anniversary and we are off to a stately home for a day out! Happy T Day! Chrisx

Meggymay said...

What a great way for the menu to be presented, I did think it was a newspaper at first look. Sally has a lovely smile and you seemed to have a good day out, even though the lunch wasn't as good as you were expecting.
Yvonne xx

Darla said...

That's a pretty sad looking avocado sandwich in my opinion. I like to see whole slices of avocado on mine. Happy to hear you could doctor it up at home. Sally has such a nice smile we need to remind her to use it more often.

~*~Patty S said...

A smile certainly does make a difference and Sally has a nice one!
Shame Merle's only waved the guac over your sandwich but sounds like you made the best of it.
Their menu is a fun one that they must have put a lot of thought into.
Happy T Day E oxo
p.s. those cheese/no meat enchiladas look good on the menu and the fresh baked cookie sounds yum too OK you've made me hungry this morning ;-)

Halle said...

I like those menus...very clever. Too bad the food wasn't great. And yes, Sally's smile is lovely and contagious...she had me smiling right back.

Divers and Sundry said...

I think _everybody_ looks better when they smile :)

I prefer my sandwiches dry, without any mayo or other dressing, so I'd have liked your sandwich as it was. The menu is fun, isn't it!

Let's Art Journal said...

I have read somewhere that "a smile is the prettiest thing you can wear" and it always makes me feel happy too! Lovely photos and the menu at Merle's is fabulously designed! It's a shame the sandwich was dissapointing as it sounded so promising. Sending you a smile and wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

Krisha said...

Smiles are contagious and Sally's pretty smile made men smile too!

I think I would have shown that sandwich to the server, or the manager. I LOVE avocados and this would have disturbed me a great deal.

Thinking of you and Sally this Tuesday.

sheila 77 said...

Yes, I agree, Sally has a lovely smile and she looks like such a very good friend. I was amused by the bill, more of a puzzle. I liked the "Create your own Sandwich" part of that very interesting Menu.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Funny! Liked that menu but the sandwich doesn't look very good.......And Elizabeth -- I need your address to mail yu that Russian paper......message me on my blog, ok?

Anonymous said...

The menu looks wonderful inside the "newspaper" and yes, Sally does look great when she smiles. The bill reminded me of shorthand which I never did figure out in high school. A bit of English a bit of gibberish. They need to rename that sandwich to Maybe Ava-Cado? xox