Monday, February 23, 2015

T Stands For Not Valentine's T

This is a weird title, I agree, but nothing else came to mind.  Let me take you through it, now.

Way back in January, when I was still feeling like myself, I treated Sally to cupcakes.  We are the type who prefer to do nice things all year long, rather than just on our birthdays.  So, this was my Happy NON-Birthday gift to her.

We were in the Small Business District, and headed for Sugar Sisters.

I can't tell a lie, though.  I had a coupon for buy one half dozen cupcakes, get one half dozen free.

I would have loved some scones or cookies, but the coupon was for cupcakes only.

It was late in the morning when we got there, and most of the goodies were already gone.

You can see from the store front windows, the show cases, and the banner why I had planned to use this for a Valentine related tea.

The table covers were cute, and themed nicely,

but the cupcakes were nearly all gone.

Sally had made her selection and had taken all the singles left in the case before I got a photo.

The lady made a point of saying these weren't like the ones you get at Dillons (a Kroger grocery chain in our area).  However, I was NOT as enthused about them as I should have been.

Could it be because I dropped the container on the way in the house, or could it be they just didn't measure up to what I thought a $3.00 (USD) cupcake should taste like!  I got three carrot cake, two chocolate, and one caramel swirl, which was white cake with white icing and a swirl of caramel on top.

Who puts candy pieces on carrot cake?  No one I know.  And who doesn't use cream cheese frosting on carrot cake?  Even I know how to make cream cheese frosting!

The chocolate cupcake was OK, but the frosting had an odd taste, like they used something old.  And those silly hard candy bits for decorations got old quickly.

I had taken photos of me eating one of the chocolate cupcakes and drinking coffee, but when I looked on both my SD card and in PhotoShop, where I keep all my digital photos, they were not there.  And because I didn't feel like creating a new post last week, and because the cupcakes were LONG gone, I had to wait till today for this NOT-Valentine T.

Today I'm having (and don't say a let-down, because it's not) a really delicious pumpkin spice English Muffin.  There is just the right amount of pumpkin and spices and these English Muffins are so soft and moist.  You really don't need anything on them, but I added a pad of butter so they didn't look so "naked."  

I know several people have mentioned fair trade coffee, so I was lucky when I found this tea in my stash.   Looks like there is fair trade tea, too.  The water for this tea is getting hot as I type.

As I was taking photos off my card, I noticed Squiggles had drug one of his Christmas carpet scratching pads into the dining room.  I have no idea what it is with BOTH those cats.  All their toys end up under the dining room table, and now so did this carpet.  How he got it in here is beyond me, but I'm sure either Bleubeard or I will ask him one of these days!

So what's in your cup today? Is it something special, or something familiar?  Is it art, whether traditional, hybrid, or digital?  Please share whatever makes you happy for T this Tuesday, as long as it contains something that holds or involves liquid.  And, as Bleubeard points out, your photos can be taken any time, not just on Tuesday, and not even this year, if that's your choice.


And before I forget, here's wishing my friends who live in the US, a wonderful Presidents Day. For all my other blogger friends, have a wonderful day, too!

21 thoughtful remarks:

Krisha said...

So disappointed the cup cakes weren't good as you were expecting. I, for one, do not like sprinkles or candies on ANYTHING baked and NO cream cheese frosting on the carrot cake.......why that's just un-American.....LOL

Happy T-day

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Believe me, only water was in my cup as I tried several times to upload my link. I am so so sorry that it took me 3 tries! Hope you can delete the first two.

I'm not a big cupcake eater but would have made the same choices since I love carrot cake. No cream cheese frosting? How disappointing!

Ohhh Snap said...

I do love cupcates, but not with candy (although if it's not chocolate, I don't mind sprinkles). My favorite commercial cupcakes are from Georgetown Cupcakes (the bankery in the tv show DC Cupcakes). And they ship should you ever be in need of that lol. (I got them as a gift). My favorites are only available in June (Earl Grey tea cupcakes with Lavender frosting (but not overly lavendered). I hope you are feeling better soon. (I have to scroll back and catch up). Cats are mysterious lol.

Ohhh Snap said...

PS The Pumpkin English Muffin looks absolutely delicious!

Linda Kunsman said...

Too bad about the cupcakes. I'm really not much of a sweets eater and since I bake a lot I am pretty particular and those candies def. would not do it for me. However, it's so nice that you and Sallie can enjoy many outings together. Those English muffins are good-we've had those! Happy T day!

massofhair said...

Sounds like a lovely time with Sally but not with the cupcakes. Shame you were let down! :-) xxx

Carol said...

Such a bummer when you get something from the bakery ..expecting something GREAT and it's NOT :( I do like that brand of tea. My daughter gave me some for Christmas and I loved it ♥ Stay warm and hope you are getting stronger every day!!!

Lori Anderson said...

I'm sorry about the cupcakes...no cream cheese icing????? Ick. I mean, if I'm going to eat a carrot in any form, it had better have some kickin' frosting!

Lorraine said...

Sorry the cupcakes were a bust. I'd be disappointed too!

froebelsternchen said...

I agree with you .. no cheesecakefrosting on anything carot-
I often bake carot cake.. and I love to there has to be chocolate icing over it and nothing else..lol!

Sorry that you were disappointed about the cup cakes, but I think your displeasure is over now...lol
This cats! Little trickster !
Happy T-Day Elizabeht - Thank you for hosting this nnice event for us all!
xxx
Susi
Hope so you feel better in the meantime Sweetie!

Darla said...

I'd take the English muffin over the cupcakes any day. I will have to look for that fair trade tea.

Darla

Divers and Sundry said...

We have cancelled out AT&T internet service because we keep losing internet access and then it takes days for us to get service back. We are using a hotspot device, but it's slow as Christmas and "spotty" at best. We'll have service through another provider by the end of the week, but I'm not sure how much visiting I'll be able to do in the meanwhile. Bummer! I think I need one of your cupcakes ;)

Nancy said...

Actually your English muffin looks better to me than the cupcakes. I like cupcakes, but all that puffed up icing, color, and toppings make them a bit too much. And dropping them would not have enhanced the look!

Lynn Holland said...

Spice muffins and iced cupcakes for me any day. I don't like the ones with all the buttercream type stuff on, they are far to sweet

Carol said...

Arggh no you can't have carrotcake without frosting!! What a shame like the look of your muffin - hope you had a lovely tea xx Miss your creations for the craft Barn Challenges :( xx

jinxxxygirl said...

I have wanted to jump on the cupcake bandwagon but i just cannot make myself pay those prices for a CUPCAKE....seriously people...a cupcake... Because i knew if it wasn't absolutely divine i would be disappointed... I cringed when my daughter paid $5 for a strawberry dipped in Godiva chocolate.... i'm a cheapskate.. i just can't do that.

ALL of Jinx's toys end up under the couch... i don't know why he does that or how that happens...he can't even fit under the couch!! Happy T day Elizabeth!!! Hugs! deb

Caterina Giglio said...

got my tea, and thought I would pop over to see what you and the kitties were up to... I agree about the cupcakes, they don't look like spency cupcakes, they look home made... have you been ill? Hoping you are feeling fine.. x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Gave up cupcakes a while ago but a name like Sugar Sisters would have got me there!! I think - certainly here in England - they are putting too much frosting on these days! Give me a muffin or a scone any day! Sorry failed to join you again - I will take a photo of our new 'toy' at the caravan this weekend and try to join you next week! Hugs, Chrisx

Rita said...

Soft sprinkles or shaved chocolate are about all I can handle on cupcakes, cakes, or cookies. I don't like hard pieces of candy on any of them--or in ice cream, for that matter--LOL! And carrot muffins without cream cheese frosting! Tell me it isn't so!

I hope you are feeling much better. Happy Tuesday!! :)

johanna said...

sorry for your experience with the Cup cakes, but the good Muffin really Looks like the one i had in scotland last year... yummy memories...

dawn said...

Hello Elizabeth, I'm finally here to visit. It's been a long cold week, kids were home for 4 days of it, UGH!! So tired of the snow and cold, I hope spring blooms are under all this snow,lol.

What a sweet post this was, looks so PRETTY!! I am not a fan of bakery goods, even though I'm not a baker mine still seem better. Sorry yours weren't to your liking either. Love that you and Sally go out for non birthday treats, YAY!

I am hoping to link up on the second of March, might have to post early and then link up on that day. I also babysit Tuesday so won't be doing T Time next week. My days are going to fast and full of busyness.

Hope you are doing good and feeling healthy now. Stay warm and safe!!