Sunday, July 14, 2013

Where this blogger creates (without her companion)

This post will remain on top through the weekend, since there is no direct link to it during this blog hop.  Please scroll down for newer posts.

Once again Bleubeard and I are joining Karen Valentine at My Dessert Cottage


for her annual blog party where we share our creative spaces.  But where is my companion, and the one who some believe is the most important half of this blog?

WAKE UP, Bleubeard.  It's time to host this party again.


Wow, I'm still not quite awake, but I'll try to make an impression.  After all, Elizabeth just learned she was participating about three hours ago, and that's not really long enough for a good cat nap, or enough time to take photos, edit them, and guide you through Elizabeth's craft spaces.  After all, she believes her entire house (and yard, too) are craft spaces.

Although I'm still sleepy, I know there won't be any muddy paws today, because Elizabeth told me there was a drought and lots of grass fires in the area.

So, as the heat soars in our area, let's get inside where it's cool, and have a look around.

Some of you were here last year, and saw what Elizabeth promised would be a new sign for her main floor craft room door.

True to her word, Elizabeth created this sign for both of us, when she wrote a  button tutorial.  All those signs show where she or I might be found working or playing at any given time of the day.

Inside her craft room, you won't see much change.  In fact, you probably won't see any change.  What's On Your Workdesk Wendy, the photo hog, is still hanging out around her sewing machine,

or watching her throw paint while standing at her work table.

Elizabeth is a master at organization.  One of her tips that went over so well last year is to store your embossing powder upside down so it's easy to see.  The same is similar for paint.

One of the things people seem to like is when I show Elizabeth's handmade paper.  It's always colorful and she's always adding to it.

Since there was no time to get lots of photos of her craft room, Elizabeth decided to concentrate on her basement studio.  She was anxious to try out her new camera she got from a fellow blogger.  So I'm going back to napping, and you can join Elizabeth in the basement.  The only time I'm allowed there is when there is a severe storm warning.


Oh goodness.  Elizabeth here.  I thought I had a bit more time, or I would not have been climbing on that step stool to reach some clay.  I'm glad I heard the door open, or you might have caught me on that stool (grin).

Oh my gosh.  I don't have time to take new photos, and the color is way off in the basement.  I can't even seem to correct it in PhotoShop.  I'm really disappointed, but that's what I get for waiting till the last minute to sign up for this blog event.

As a mixed media artist, I seem to collect lots of supplies, many from dumpster diving.  I'm also a BIG fan of tools.  Love them, use them.  Not much has changed from last year, except the horrible color, of course.  I still have ZONES for each of my artistic endeavors.  For example, the top shelf holds glass paint and spray art.  It also holds my glue gun.

Maybe you can see it all better from last year's photo.  Not much has changed, except I've used glue and added more glass paint after this photo was taken.

The second shelf holds all my polymer clay and supplies, including my pasta machine and dedicated toaster oven. 

The third shelf has changed a bit, in that I have moved my CitraSolv, and replaced it with my mini-vise.  It still holds all my soldering supplies, though, as well as my nippers for cutting tiles.

You can barely see the third shelf in the top photo, where I keep my beeswax, encaustics, and crayons.  That's also where I keep my tools for making these, including my dedicated crock pot and my two melting pots.  I also keep my UTEE, which I use in one of the melting pots, while the other is dedicated to wax.  I keep the stainless steel pot there, too, but only because it's where it fits.  I use it for dyeing fabric I don't dye in my microwave, or cooking plants to make handmade paper.

As an aside, I realize this is a garish photo, but I was trying to show something I just soldered recently.


Maybe you can see things better in this shot, although my gray and white  shelving looks very yellow.  Had I been given more time, I would have straightened these shelves a bit.  But obviously, what you see is what you get.


This area really needs to be cleaned, since I've been working with wallpaper and joint compound recently.


I really should get rid of those stackable plastic in/out baskets that are designed to sit on office desks.  For me, these are nothing more than dust collectors and minutia magnets.

One of the things that is new, is my iron.  Since I do a lot of sewing, and dye fabrics, the fabric often gets bunched and wrinkled in the process.  I like having an iron handy.  And although you can't see them very well in the photo, I have two sets of those Crayola Crayons that you use to iron on fabric.
 
I know people often wonder about my microwave oven.  I use it for low-imersion dyeing of fabric, as well as drying flowers.  It could also be used to heat my coffee, but I don't.  I prefer to keep it dedicated to crafts.

I didn't have time to make another sign, so I brought this photo out from last year.  I hope it makes you feel at home and welcome.

Here is a cut off portion of my desk, which is merely an old computer station sitting over two metal file cabinets.



Metal file cabinets are great for holding magnets, whether you make them, or buy them.  I have also started a pen collection and someday hope to do a bit of jouraling.

This is the one area that has no plastic.  Instead, I've used wood and bricks for the shelving, and metal file cabinets for the base.


The roll around cabinet that is now behind the very full trash can (I don't ever remember to empty it when I go upstairs) is what I call my cutting station.  It holds all my cutting tools, including those for cutting fabric.  On top is a paper cutter, but I prefer the guillotine cutter Bleubeard showed you upstairs.  The mouse pad sitting on top of the cutter is used as a cushion for stamping.

On the corner cabinet you'll find a collection of rocking horses, including the clock.  Under that is my collection of old car keys, tiles, and a pair of shoes I found in my neighbor's dumpster that I intend to alter.  Below that are my two rock tumblers I use to tumble glass, as well as a jar of glass, and my vinegar I use for rusting my fabric and paper.

The bottom shelf holds paint and supplies for making soap I didn't have room for on the shelves I have yet to show.

So what, you ask, is different this year?  Other than the color of the photos, my roll-around table, for one.

On this table, you now see my fabric block stamping setup.  It's an old sheet I've folded, under which


 is a nice cushion of natural felt.  It all sits on top of a cute little ironing board I bought on clearance.

So much hodge-podge here, but you might be able to see the lye and soap molds on the third shelf.  There are also candle molds and candle colorant, too.  And yes, I keep these separate from my beeswax and encaustics.


Beads and more beads lighten up this dark space in the corner, while one of several over-the-door shoe-holders holds tools and supplies.

And although the camera didn't capture it, the bottom and top shelves hold my flower arranging and flower drying supplies.


When I was able to remodel the basement, I had the carpenter add the cubby.  I love that there is now storage where before there was a "walk through" between the closet and the post.


I'm big on roll around cabinets, but once I put the very heavy tackle box on top of this four drawer cabinet, it started to roll.  I had to remover the rollers, because this was the perfect spot to store this piece.

We are now at the end of the tour.  Sorry it's so short, and you can't really see the white walls and such, but you CAN see that whatever I can put on wheels, I will.  Although the main rooms in my house have antiques, you won't find any here or in my upstairs craft space.  These are working rooms.  Things get messy when I paint or dye.  That's why plastic is my furniture of choice for this room.


Bleubeard here!  I'm finally awake, and hope to see you again.  After all, Elizabeth has participated in this event for three of the five years, but this time, she didn't have time to clean properly.  Next time you come, we'll figure out her "nearly new, slightly used" camera and get better shots.  She might even find time clean up bit.  Of course, I'm always clean.  Thanks so much for dropping by.  And we both hope to see you at your crafty space soon, too.



47 thoughtful remarks:

Connie said...

Hi I just found your blog and your studio is huge, oh, I wish I had that much space. It looks like a great place to set your imagination free. Free to explore so many possibilities.
I am also in this blog party, but I was never able to download that Where Blogger Create logo, so maybe I'm not in it ????
Anyway, please come visit my blog, and join my give-a-way, too.
Happy crafting, Connie :)

Anonymous said...

Nice set up and great lighting for the basement....you've got it all! xox

~*~Patty S said...

Thanks for the tour of craft wonderland Bleubeard...you are lucky to live in such a tidy and artistic atmosphere!

Elizabeth your paper cubbies are fab!
I do not know how you keep everything so neat!
oxo

Silvia said...

Lovely to see more of your space except only your Desk!!! The Paper cubbie is lovely, no wonder everyone loves it.
See you on Wednesday or maybe for Tea on Tuesday??!!

Romeo said...

Ah Bleubeard! So lovely of you to start the tour even though it interrupted your nap. Very very generous of mew! I didn't go downstairs either. I sent "her". When "she" returned I was told about boxes on wheels. Yikes! Glad I didn't go down there - a guy's gotta purrtect the tail! So I think it's probably just as well us cats stay upstairs! Besides, it would seem all the things to chase are outside anyway. Down there those roller things would probably chase us!!!! Lots and lots of creating stuff going on here - it seems that your Elizabeth has as much diversity as "she" does. Scratch that...even more! And the paper that E. makes....beautiful!!!! Do you ever get to lay on it?!?? Regular paper is good, but handmade paper?!?! Oh my whiskers!!!

Well dude, thanks for the tour! You hungry? I think we should order an anchovy pizza and let the girls go a visiting, what'd ya say?!?!

Purrs,

Romeo

marie said...

Wow...you have tons of space!! I love your use of wheels...it's nice to be able to easily move things around.
I think my favorite photo is the one of your handmade paper...so pretty!

Helen said...

What a great tour of your basement and craft space, both of you thank you! I am very envious of all the room you have to play (sorry, work!)

Darla said...

Bleubeard is an excellent tour guide. Your space is amazing. You must enjoy working there.

Darla

Sugar Lump Studios said...

So many wonderful supplies and treasures to choose from! What an amazing space to create and I love Bleubeard! I had a gray kitty just like him years ago...still miss him.
thanks for sharing with us!

Nancy
www.sugarlumpstudios.com

Desires of the Heart said...

What a great space for creating....it looks like you have everything at your fingertips for sure!! What a haven for you and your beautiful kitty...Thanks for sharing and visiting me too!! Blessings, Linda

Nancy said...

Enjoyed seeing your workspaces... that handmade paper is so inviting! And, like you, I love the roll-around table for cutting.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Well thank you Bluebeard to wake up and show us around : ) But I understand his love for good naps, I'm also a big fan of them...

Great spaces you have and storage spots, good idea keeping the paints either side ways or upside down, sure makes finding colours easier.
Thanks for sharing your space!!

Halle said...

Fun! Nice of Bleubeard to take part. ;) When ever I think I have too much stuff, I'll have to come back to this post. WOW! An endless supply of goodies to play with! FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Art and Sand said...

Soap, altered books, handmade paper . . . you are so creative.

Now that I am retired, a paper making class is at the top of my list thanks to you. I had forgotten that I wanted to take one until I saw your wonderful stash.

Happy creating

Beansieleigh said...

Wow.. Seeing your craft space is like a ticket to Heaven! So-ooo many goodies to play with! I particularly loved the homemade papers! I've never tried my hand at making my own, but you certainly inspire!!.. You seem to be a jack of all trades too! Sometimes, when blogging, I worry that not every person will like every post, because crocheters just want to see crocheting, and artists just want to see painting/sketches, while scrapbookers want to see you've spent at least 10 to 20 dollars on a single page layout!! (ha! ha! Just KIDDING!! NO offense anyone!)... Well, I really enjoyed my visit here today, and thank you for the tour! ~tina

ImagiMeri said...

Thank you Bleubeard and Elizabeth for the lovely tour. I love seeing people's work areas that are using many different mediums.

Hugs,
Meri

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Oh my!!! I am in dire need of organization!!! Your beautiful studio is inspiring indeed - and I'll look forward to visiting new blogs!

carol said...

Mr. Bleubeard, your mistress is so organized to be able to put on a tour on the spur of the moment. I'm sure that you are her muse and the source of her creativity. Keep up the good work. Carol at fiberartfancies@blogspot.com

Rita said...

Love this tour! A woman after my own heart--you have a wide variety of interests like I do--love it! Bluebeard did a great job of showing us around. :)

Devon Smith-Breidel said...

Gotta love a girl who can operate tools! Your creativity knows no bounds-exactly as it should be. Cheers!

Karen Valentine said...

I think I comment on your stash of handmade paper last year and hmmm..... come to think of it, the year before that! LOL! I still love it and am green with envy! I need to start collecting and maybe making some of that myself! Thanks for joining us again Elizaeth (and yes.. you too Bluebeard!)
xo, Karen

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

You're a busy lady with all kinds of things at your fingertips.

Leanne said...

So glad to be stopping by and seeing your space (hi bleubeard! Thanks for showing us all of Elizabeth's gems!!!) I was just looking into learning more about making altered books . . . I think I found the right place!!! So glad to be here!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!! Send me your address so I can share:) pattiedmon1@mac.com.
xo

Nanna said...

you have a fantastic place to be creative in!
Helen

Vicki Boster said...

Elizabeth (and Blubeard)---
Your room is huge!! Are you kidding me-- I'd die for a room like that! Your stash of paints and papers are beautiful-- ohhhh that paper-- so amazing! You are SO well organized--- hmmm I wish I was better at that! You are one lucky girl to have such a wonderful space to play and create.

Thank you for your visit to my little yarn room :)

Xoxo
Vicki

Louise@ElsieMayandBertha said...

Bleubird is a beautiful cat, though, he probably knows that :-)
I don't know how you find time to do all of those different crafts that you do. Though can see why you need two workspaces.
Your handmade paper looks lovely, as does the set of shelves they're housed in. You're obviously fairly tidy when your making as all of your bits and pieces look well organised. Especially as you've not had time to tidy before posting.
I'd like to thank you both for the tour of your two rooms.
Happy crafting :-)

voodoo vixen said...

Would love to be able to do a mooch around all those shelves! Bleuebeard did a great job of showing everyone around.

bobbie said...

Thank you Bleubeard & Elizabeth for the tour ~ I enjoyed seeing your space!

fairyrocks said...

Fun journal with the peeps. I couldn't motivate our Kat to do anything I am sure LOL. Love that stash of home made paper. Keep smiling and creating thanks for sharing.

Diana Seal said...

Hi Elizabeth! Two thumbs up for Bleubeard for showing us around your awesome space! Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!
Diana

Maureen said...

Hi Bleubeard, thank you for taking precious time away from your cat nap to show us around. I LOVE the handmade paper! Wow! Very cool. Thank you for the tour of your basement Elizabeth!

Judys Lace Creations said...

Love your space Elizabeth.Bluebeard showed us around and even pointed out some little corners, you may not have wanted us to see. Thanks for sharing your space.
judy

Kathy said...

That handmade paper looks so pretty stored that way and it was fun to see the basement where all the action takes place!
Thank you, too for visiting my little blog and your kind words.

Erika said...

Thank you for sharing your Studio! It Looks very creative and often used :) I love this Kind of atmosphere, wonderful! Happy Weekend and hugs - also to your sweet cat :)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Bluebeard Thank you for the tour! Wow, your handmade paper is wonderful and your room is full of so many treasures! Thank you for showing me around!

Carol

The Old Parsonage said...

wow I'm jealous of the size of your studio!!! you can really spread out and get down to business! Loved seeing all the different mixed media things that you enjoy!

Have fun!

Leann

BJ said...

WOW your new camera certainly got a good outing today. Loads of stash there Elizabeth. BJ

Maggie said...

Goodness sakes, so much going on!! You are one crafty lady!! Thanks for the tour.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a great space!! Filled with so much storage that i am so jealous!! Love all of your storage ideas too!!

Thanks for your visit and thanks for sharing!!

Hugs,
Deb

Marianne said...

You certainly do have a lot of fun stuff. Thank you for the tour.
I wasn't ready yet either....but I posted what was ready. there's always next year huh?

Unknown said...

Great set up for a basement, love all the special papers, my favorite!
Hugs and Happy Party Hopping!
Marilou of Lulus Lovlies

Dianne said...

I think your basement craft space is amazingly organized and light...white paint does wonders, and you must have pretty good lighting fixtures in there too! a fun visit and tour!

Carmen said...

I came back to say thank you for your amazing comment about my SoC piece - it made me so happy this afternoon! And then I saw this and had to have a nosy, I love seeing where people work. Slightly (A LOT) jealous of all your space. Your paper section is beautiful. Here's a link to my space as a comparison in size (chuckling as I write that!) http://whoopidooings.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=cocoon

Now - that book. Your in the US right? So this is the Amazon.com link. I thought it was very pricy when I bought it but I don't regret a single penny. I'll warn you that ALL she uses is GOLDEN products but you can work it around what you have very easily. I don't own a single GOLDEN product (I'd like to try it, it's just not that readily available here) so I've been using what Acrylic's I already have and Liquitex mediums. http://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Solutions-Exploring-Mixed-Media/dp/1440321124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374249723&sr=8-1&keywords=acrylic+solutions Can't wait to see if you buy it and what you make :)

Glenda said...

Thanks so much for sharing the spaces Bluebeard. You did a great job. Love the handmade papers Elizabeth. Thanks for the tour of your spaces.

Creative Grammie said...

Aloha Elizabeth & Bleubeard,
Once again, thank you Bleubeard for a great tour. I'm not participating this year, but I always enjoy visiting everyone. How fun for you Elizabeth that you have more than one area to store your supplies and treasures.
Thanks again, see you next year.

Nan G said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Sooo much room! And peeps think I'm nuts when I tell I only need four rooms....large studio, small sitting room with kitchenette, bedroom with bath; I'm good! Got to have our priorities ..right? Right! ;) Hugs