Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine Wishes

Before Blogger imposed its wrath on my life, I was reading several of my friends' blogs talking about their Gelli plates.   As many who read my blog know, I don't own one of those plates, and my craft budget isn't that rich.  However, I have a plexiglass plate that won't replace the Gelli plate, but will hopefully work in a pinch.

Note the broken mug I've kept around just for this very occasion.  I knew I wanted to use it for a Valentine or maybe a broken heart collage.


 
I know realized from before that I was supposed to roll the paint out on a plate, then place it on the plexiglass, but remembered only after I had already spread the paint on the plexiglass.   Oh look, I even have the plate ready for the paint.  Why I forgot is beyond me.


You are going to get tired of seeing this blue bed sheet, but it is quite useful for painting cotton.  I dipped the broken mug into the paint on the plexiglass and went to town, but, after monoprinting the fabric, I didn't get the results I was hoping for.  The design actually worked better on the used file folder than the fabric, which seems to have soaked up too much paint.


Not to be deterred, I made this art flag I intended for a friend who just had heart surgery.  I've already popped it in the mail in hopes it will bring a smile to his face.  This doesn't look anything like the art flags I have made in the past, mostly due to my dear friend Patty at Magpie's Nest, who explained how she made hers.  Apparently, I was making mine wrong, since I was adding strings to mine, and they obviously don't take strings.  Instead, art flags are strung on a rope or line which is then hung between two fixed points. 


Because my camera is so puny, I decided to scan this before I mailed it.  My friend is very masculine, so I didn't want to add any lace or frills.  I do, however, hope he gets the message!

For this flag, I used a piece of torn bed sheet, paint, hand dyed fabric, my broken heart mug, a black Zig pen, a white Zig pen, and lavender thread.

And while we are on the subject of hearts and Valentines, don't forget to join the Billion Rising To End Violence Against Women and Girls today.  It's the best way to show the world and your community your feelings about this injustice that affects one in three women worldwide, much of it from "loved ones."  In case you aren't familiar with this worldwide movement, or to read more about it, go here or type the words "Billion Women Rising" into your favorite search engine.  Since there isn't an event within 200 miles of where I live, I plan to dance in the street like I will suggest my friends and I do who are coming to tea today.

And please have a fun and safe Valentine's day!!

8 thoughtful remarks:

elle said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Elizabeth!

Divers and Sundry said...

what a thoughtful gift. beautiful!

SandeeNC said...

HA! My post today also shows a faux gelli plate technique! We are on the same wave length! Hope you have a great day, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too! Have a wonderful day with your friends.

Darla said...

I really like your flag and think it makes a great gift for your friend.

Darla

~*~Patty S said...

Hope your Valentine's Day was sweet ... I came by yesterday and thought I left a comment ... giving it another go this morning :)

Thank you for the kind mention and linking me E ... your flag turned out great...I especially like that you've gone horizontal in your design...I bet it was very well received too!

you reminded me that I have my homemade gelli plates waiting in the fridge (all thanks to you and your reboiling tip I have kept them going since last Sept I believe it is)

are you considering moving your blog over to WordPress by chance?
Halle and Jean are both on WP now and their blogs look wonderful and they seem happy ... miss you!
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

miss you E, just wondering how you are getting on with your computer and blogger, and hope you had a very happy valentines day... x

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Your flag looks great! I'm sure your friend will love it. I finally googled gelli plate to see what it was all about. I'd say your modification to use supplies you have on hand was a success!

Hugs,
kay