Friday, November 18, 2011

Inspiration Avenue: Harlequin

I didn't think I was going to get this Inspiration Avenue challenge, given us by Stephanie, finished in time, but I worked most of the night to finish it.


I began by making a diamond stamp using one of my erasers I got at Big Lots last year. Yes, I cut it with my knife, after I measured and used lots of math that I didn't really need and all my triangles that I also didn't need. Live and learn!

Then it was two days of masking and painting and waiting for paint to dry. And that was before I could even start using my new "rubber" stamp.


I made the house out of a wet wipe I painted using various Golden fluid acrylics, then sewed the roof to the house. The wood block, ~8 inches by 8 inches by 1/2 inch was also painted using Golden fluid acrylics.



The little girl is by Paper Whimsey. The scan shows the details. Thanks for this challenge Stephanie, and thanks to everyone at IA for always being so supportive. Be sure to check out the other Harlequin entries that Stephanie and others have posted.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Darla said...

Wow Elizabeth, you really went all out for this challenge didn't you? The texture of the house makes it stand out so well and now that you are finished you still have a new rubber stamp to use. I'm impressed!

Darla

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous- I LOVE the diamond pattern and the way you carried it throughout the entire piece- beautifully done!

Terrie said...

What a delightful piece! This is SO creative and I can tell you put a lot of time into it. I just love seeing the harlequin pattern on each element!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

You did real justice to this challenge! I like how you carried the diamond theme all the way through the piece--the house is amazing!

elle said...

Pink erasers work, too! Great. Luv the harlequin look. Your inspiration is executed wonderfully!

Halle said...

The diamond stamp turned out fantastic. Such crisp, sharp edges. Love what you did with the theme. Little J was wearing black and magenta harlequin socks today. I pointed our to her what that pattern was called. She was very unimpressed. ;P

Rebeca Trevino said...

these are great! i just love the textures and colors and shapes and patterns.

Monica said...

Inpressed how you made that stamp and the whole composition.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Very nice, great design! Hand carving stamps doubles the pleasure......you get to enjoy the carving and the printing process.

VonnyK said...

Wow, you went to great lengths, it looks fabulous. I didn't paint my harlequin because I can't do what you did with the math (& I'm married to a maths teacher) and everything comes out crooked. All the textures make it really effective, love it.

peggy gatto said...

she is delightful!

Hettienne Grobler said...

what a creative idea and so wonderfully executed ! the details really bring it to life and make it a real art piece! beautiful

voodoo vixen said...

You know, your houses are among some of my most favourite peices of yours and this is right there in the top five!! Love the diamond pattern background and the little girl with the house.. fab!!

Tracey FK said...

you even added sewing... you have so many talents and you blend them all seamlessly... this is such a lovely result... impressive in the extreme xx

Rhonda said...

This is a terrific collage! Love the textures and you even made your diamond stamp - fabulous! Cheers - Rhonda

Priti Lisa said...

Holy Crap! Why did it never occur to me to make a diamond stamp out of an eraser???
You can count yourself warned that I am stealing this idea! As fast as I can!
I love your artwork too Elizabeth. All the time you put into it shows.
♥♥♥

Helen Percy Lystra said...

I love what you did with the theme. Those erasers sure are handy for more than just erasing marks.

Maggie said...

How ingenious to create a stamp out of an eraser! I would love to try it.

Your piece is full of texture and layers which I love. The little girl is precious, with her dreaming of Diamond Lane. Beautiful piece!

Thanks for your visit and comment! Tell Bleubeard I'm so happy he approves of my little jester :)

Shoshi said...

Love this sort of mixed media work, Elizabeth! Well done making such an effective harlequin stamp. Gel mediums are the greatest invention, aren't they!