Friday, February 12, 2010

And the winner IS . . .

Yesterday began with Dana bringing my material and Chinese papers I didn't pick up on Wednesday. I had been stressing about them and she must have known. She said I left them on her table. DUH. At least, thanks to Brian's prodding, I made sure my memory card was in my camera and my batteries were fully charged.

Dana was such a sweetie. Although she didn't bring the felted sweaters, since we'll possibly work with them at her place, she did bring the one thing I didn't tell anyone about yesterday.


Nope, it's not Roxie, who she carried with her all day.


It was the wardrobe I found at the Salvation Army.


OK, it's actually a shelf, but I'm going to turn it into my Dress Up Project doll dress wardrobe.


I did the math. Although it was not on sale (only thing on sale were the clothes), I still felt that by the time I bought the wood, cut it to size, figured in the cost of nails, little feet on the bottom, and the knob, it would be cheaper to buy this. I figure my time is worth that much! I didn't realize it until I looked at the photos, but it's upside down in these shots, which is good because it shows the little feet.


So here is my new closet. I'll add the dowel soon, too. When the project is finished, I'll have a bit of storage, too.


We took a different route to Dana's yesterday. We even took several detours, finding Garland in the north end of town. That's the street I live on, just in a different part of town. I never knew it went that far north. Seems like it starts and stops with all the rivers that run through the city.


Dana actually backed up so I could take this shot. I loved the chaos and forlorn disintegration of this area. You'll see more of this and around Dana's area on Silent Sunday.


While at Home Depot last Friday, we talked about glass blocks and how we would love to have windows made of them. Dana discovered this house and the glass block wall. I'm in LOVE.


Thanks Dana for taking these two photos.


More shots of our "snow." Isn't this a hoot? We got so little, the streets didn't even get cleared.


Desolate beauty


and a frozen landscape


make it seem hard to believe we are in the city limits of the largest city in Kansas.


As we approached Dana's new home from another direction, she posed the question "where are the geese today?" which was in response to my rant about geese poo a few days ago. As I was about to make a smart comment, I looked in the sky


and like they were being summoned on command,


appeared in formation.

At Dana's, I didn't take any photos because it was packing things she had already gone through, organizing and assigning places for things she had saved to keep, and hauling the packed boxes to the garage for transport.

As we were about to leave, although it was getting late, we both remembered the giveaway. I would have shot myself if I had forgotten it again.


Dana found scissors in the garage and proceeded to cut the names in strips.


She and I folded the names in little pieces.


I gave them a good shake.


She drew the name. Can you see it?


Well, neither could I after I got home and downloaded the photos. There's no way to retake the photo, since we threw the names away, thinking I had a good photo. You can try reading it, but you won't be able to.

The winner is . . .

OK, enough suspense:

MARLYNN, the birthday girl!! Way to go Marlynn. And on your birthday to boot. What could be more fitting? I'll be contacting Marlynn this morning. Now go wish Marlynn a wonderful birthday, everyone.



Today's blog comes by way of Seth at The Altered Page. It features the creative blog of Vivian Bonder, who is in a collaboration with Seth. Vivian's blog is called Desert Bloom and it is as colorful as the name implies. Her art is all about layers and colors. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

10 thoughtful remarks:

Unknown said...

Congrats Marilyn! And beautiful photos leading up to the announcement!

Caterina Giglio said...

Congrats to Marlynn!

Terri Kahrs said...

Congrats to Marilyn! I'm off to wish her a Happy Birthday . . .. Hugs, Terri xoxo

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Congrats to the birthday girl!!!!
Woot Woot!!!
Love the icy blue hues of the snow pictures!
Happy Friday!
oxo

Lynn Cohen said...

What a trip this was!!!! Just reading and reading and seeing and seeing until I completely forgot i was waiting to hear who won what! LOL But fun nonetheless.
Good find on the little doll dress closet or whatever it is to be...not sure I remember by now...all that reading...LOL

Unknown said...

the doll dress wardrobe is so great!!!!! I cant wait to see it all filled with little dresses! melinda

Anonymous said...

Wonderful how that wardrobe was in the right place at the right time.

Rachel

Lori Saul said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with that little wardrobe- so fun! Stay warm and have a great weekend!

Marlynn said...

I can't believe I won something and on my birthday no less. I AM so excited. Thank you Elizabeth, Bleubeard, and Dana! You made my day so special I can't believe it!!! love to all of you,

Christine Clemmensen said...

Congratulations to Marilyn:-) And such suspence :-)
Have a delightful weekend