Thursday, January 28, 2010

Freezer paper and Alcohol Ink (AI) background technique

This is a technique I first demoed in April, 2009. I'm bringing it back because many people followed Tim Holtz's 12 tags of Christmas posts. In one of his posts, he made the comment that you could not use photo paper with AIs because it stayed sticky, but needed to use glossy paper. Since glossy paper is not always available, and since it's rather pricey, here is a low cost alternative to both photo and glossy paper. As an aside, you can tell how new and clean my vinyl table covering is in this photo. I can assure you, it isn't that pristine now.





Supplies:
Freezer paper
Alcohol Inks (AIs)
Blending solutions
Scissors
Craft sheet or some way to protect your work surface
Optional: rubber gloves



Tear a manageable piece of freezer paper from the roll. Note that there is a slick or shiny side and a dull side. Make sure the shiny side is up.



Randomly apply several drops of three or more AIs to the shiny side of the paper.



Working quickly, squirt blending solution all over the paper, not just where the ink is.



Fold in half and squish together.



Manipulate the ink by pressing and pushing on the paper. Try not to crease the fold.



Open the paper and see if you like the results.




If not, add more blending solution and more AIs. Repeat until you are happy with the results. Now you can cut it to the size of your project.

These were a lot of fun and went quickly, since the AIs dry fast.

Is everyone enjoying the OWOH annual blog event? Remember, you don't have to offer a giveaway to visit your favorite blogs, along with a few new ones you might find. As of six am, there were 762 blogs registered.

Today's blog spotlights Rachel Baldanza who lives in NY, and in keeping with the spirit of OWOH, is not part of the giveaway. Since many of my readers are painting faces at the moment, I thought her blog might be something different and inspiring. If you click on "next page" at the bottom of the page, you'll see one of her sketches and a peek at her sketchbook.

7 thoughtful remarks:

Caterina Giglio said...

thanks for this! I personally love freezer paper!

Diane said...

Thanks for the great technique--I love Alcohol Inks--I'm going to try this.

Terri Kahrs said...

Awesome toot! I've got the AI's and he freezer paper. Now to find some time!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

What a fabulous tutorial and I love the results you achieved! I will definitely have to try this. All of these techniques are so new to me and I really want to learn all I can. Thanks so much for having these tutorials on your blog!!
Thank you so much for thinking of me and stopping by my blog. You are such a sweet friend Elizabeth!
Hugs, Carol Anne

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

I turn my head for a day or is it two already and WOWEE, you are amazing, so productive and so good about detailing your creative process AND you try so many interesting things!

Many thanks for sharing dear one!
oxo

Rachael Baldanza said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for finding my blog and making the nice comments there. I appreciate all of the colorful stuff you are up to as well and wish you the best.
thanks!

Lady Bug Stampers said...

Thanks so much for this tip I have almost 24 different inks and wasn't sure how to use them now I have a technique to try. Love new things.