Thursday, August 8, 2024

"Wild" flowers

 

Today I'm joining Jo from Let’s Art Journal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with her Wonderfully Wild theme. 

I give you my interpretation of "Wild" flowers.  And because everyone who frequents my blog knows I can't draw, I am also sharing this at Try it on Tuesday where their theme this fortnight is Keep It Simple.  You can't get much simpler than my wonky, simple flowers.  As one friend said, it looks like a first grader made this.  I have a few detail shots below, too.




I began by cutting a piece of 110 lb. cardstock to 5 X 8 in (12.7 X 20.3 cm).  I found I really like that size.  As much as I wanted to color the background, I knew it would take away from the flowers.  I drew the flowers using a black Posca pen.  Later, I used the same pen to create the leaves.

I used my water soluble crayons to color the flower petals, first with yellow, then orange, then red.  Next, I drew the stems and after that, the leaves.  I had to wait for the flower petals to dry, because I had already run my hand through wet paint on one of the petals.

While they were drying, I computer generated the sentiment: "Wild" flowers color my garden.  Again using my water soluble crayons, I used primary colors blue and yellow to turn green and yellow and red to turn orange.  Once dry, I cut the words and adhered them to the page.  I then added the blue crayons to the centers of each flower.  When the centers were dry, I added the white dots using a white Posca pen.

Bleubeard and I want to thank each of you for visiting today.  We would also love to see you at both Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday.


17 thoughtful remarks:

My name is Erika. said...

If a friend said a first grader made this then that first grader must have been very talented. I really like your wild and wonky wildflowers, and I wouldn't think first grade either. This is a fun piece for both Jo's challenge and for our Keep It Simple challenge at TIOT. Thanks for joining TIOT my friend. Have a super day too. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Your wild flowers a just wonderful. I really like the hand-drawn, organic look.

craftytrog said...

It's a beautiful arty page Elizabeth! Wild flowers are my favourite kind of flower.
Hope you're having a great week.
Alison xx

Christine said...

Just lovely

Rita said...

They're very cute and lively! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Hmmm, some friends are not so friendly! ou flowers are simple, yes, but beautiful, I love them! Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I especially like the colors you chose. I'd like a word with your friend...

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for wild. And flowers. Pfft to your friend.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never thought of wild flowers. Just animals.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a lovely wild flower page! The colours are so summery and perfect for our Try it on Tuesday challenge, thanks so much for joining us 😊. Thanks for the inspiration at AJJ too! Happy wishes ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

Viv said...

What a pretty wild flower page! Thanks for sharing with us at Try It On Tuesday

Jeanie said...

I like this, Elizabeth. It's very eye-catching.

Tom said...

...born to be wild!

Meggymay said...

To me those flowers look beautiful and I am so happy you shared your floral page with us at TioT's .
Yvonne

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love your beautiful flowers, Elizabeth. The colors and sentiment are perfect and definitely not from a first grader!!! Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Hugs, Sharon

Spyder said...

I'm probably on the wrong comments thingy, but never mind! I was going to say, you have a neighbourhood clean up day??? Luckily we don't really need that, but what a great idea!! And TYRES!! we can't even take them to the tip unless we pay! (so of course some people throw them in the hedges...at night, when no one can see! ) Love your flowers, I wanted to join in the wild theme but...the mojo's gone walkabout! ((Lyn))

pearshapedcrafting said...

Don't believe that friend of yours, they are sooo wrong! These are beautiful summery flowers, great choice of colours! Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, hugs, Chrisx