Thursday, March 2, 2023

Second on the 2nd

 

For my second look, I like to share art that somehow relates to the artist and host of the month at Art Journal Journey.  Since Valerie chose Anything Goes, I looked back to August 29, 2013, where I reviewed an art book.  It was part of Darcy's monthly Artful Readers Club (ARC).  We reviewed one book each month, then created art that inspired us from that book.  I created:

Vintage Collage Works by Maryjo and Sunny Kock

Quarry Books, 2008. Softcover.

ISBN 13: 9781592533909
Publisher: Quarry Books
Publication Date: 2008
Binding: Softcover

Please be aware, these photos were taken with my very old camera that often took illegible photos.  Poor technology coupled with amateur photographer who was used to a SLR.  I tried to copy the post word for word.

  It's definitely a softcover book, but it is packed with lots of vintage collages and assemblages. 

There are only three chapters, but don't let that fool you. 

And even though the beginning of this book is like many other art books that don't specify the name of the tools, and  

although I had not heard of a few of the tools, I realized I had enough of the essentials, I would have no problem keeping up with the authors of this book.  A few things I had not heard of (under paints, mediums, varnishes) were Oxgall, and (under brushes) Scumbling or Filbert brush and Linear brush. 

The first chapter covered vintage papers, which included 

old letters and envelopes,

as well as postcards, and how to alter them. 

Then there was scrap art, something I had never heard of before.  I read what it was, saw examples, and still had no idea what the authors were talking about.  As an aside, we now call it collage fodder!

Of course, wallpaper is something I really enjoy working with, as I do

vintage sheet music.

I have a ton of flash cards, although they are math and music related.  I would never have thought to alter them, though, so that was a fun surprise.  As an aside, I now alter flash cards a lot. 

 And I have a few old maps, but they may not be vintage.  However, I knew this was the chapter in which I would find my inspiration.

  I love old boxes, but I can't afford to buy cigar boxes. They are simply out of my price range.  Someone has learned they are used in art projects, so now all the cigar and liquor stores (where they are mostly found in my town) charge anywhere from $5.00 (USD) for cardboard to $15.00-$25.00 (USD) for wooden.  So as much as I would love to alter a box and turn it into a vintage masterpiece, I won't be doing that anytime soon.  At least not until I find less expensive boxes.

  The final chapter deals with nature, which includes

  more boxes, but this time with variations such as bird themes. 

  The authors even showed an example in an altered book, and a note card.

  All that was left was page after page of lovely clip art the artists included.

 I'm sure the observant reader has noticed many of these pieces were used by the authors in their own artwork. 

  Although I really love what the authors shared, I have so much stuff I need to use, I prefer to alter my own ephemera and leave my printer ink for more important uses.  As an aside, this is back when I had colored ink in my printer. 

Another thing I liked about this book was there were two writers/authors, mother and daughter Maryjo and Sunny Kock  All the artwork came from them, something you don't always see in books of this caliber or quality.  Oftentimes, authors ask others to share contribute their art, too, but that was not the case with this book. Reading through the credits (page 142), there are about equal entries from both artists.

Unlike last month, where I could not find anything inspiring to make, this month's ARC entry was sensory overload. 

I began by gathering a few bits of ephemera I thought might work well together.

Last month I attempted a tape transfer that was unsuccessful.  I was hoping that would not be the case this month, so I started with the transfers using clear adhesive book covering. 

I created a substrate of two pieces of cardboard (8 inches X 10 inches, or 20.32 centimeters X 25.4 centimeters) that I covered with vintage sheet music.  Here I've auditioned a couple of flowers I pressed.  Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to use them, I fear they are the wrong colors.  I also auditioned the clear buttons, but decided even if I colored them, they were not the vintage style I was looking for.

Although I fussy cut both birds from wallpaper samples, I was unhappy that they both faced the same direction.  I had some real decisions to make before I could call this a completed work of art.

Then I remembered the artists showed how to alter vintage postcards.  And although I was not inspired to alter them, I was inspired to use them.

  And with that, the piece came together nicely.  Although a name for this piece eludes me, I think it contains a story only the reader can conjure up.

  All that's left are a few detail shots.  Tape transfer on flash card, wallpaper bird on matching wallpaper fabric.

Postcard and fussy cut bird.

Another post card and tape transfer.

For the first time, I have to gladly give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.  I was really impressed with the inspiration I got from it. 

________________________________

 

You have seen my second look, now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit. 



 


15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow, so many wonderful projects! Hugs, Valerie

Lisca said...

That looks like a great book and I think it was the inspiration for many a wonderful project.
Also, I do not remember this post, so I think I wasn't following you yet then.
Hugs,
Ñisca

Rita said...

I can see how you were inspired by this book! Pretty pages. :)

My name is Erika. said...

That's a cool book. I don't think I've ever seen this one. I hope you still have it because there are so few new art books any more. We went from a flood of them to a draught of them it seems. I'm glad I kept most of my old books because they are inspiring to look back on. Do you think so also? Thanks for sharing this. It's fun to see your collages too. I hope you're having a great week so far. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

That's a very cool book and I enjoyed your collages

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing

Linda said...

That’s a very elegant book!

kathyinozarks said...

That does look like a very good book-lots of photos and information Love your collages too Happy second on the 2nd

pearshapedcrafting said...

This book looks as though it had ideas that would be useful nowadays too! I love your collages! Hugs, Chrisx ps - I'm straight through to comments today - so weird?!?!

Sandra Cox said...

Good on you for sharing this, Elizabeth. It looks and sounds like it's chock full of information.

Jeanie said...

What a lovely and inspiring book. Truly a treasure -- I can see why and how you were inspired, too!

Lowcarb team member said...

A great book, thanks for sharing.

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

That´s a great book and wow on your finished project!
I need a holiday! This is all so inspiring!

Empire of the Cat said...

Interesting book and love your page, a first look for me. Happy Second on the Second! Elle/EOTC xx

kwarkito said...

ça me plaît beaucoup ce post !