Sunday, February 5, 2023

The Lantern Festival signifies the end of CNY celebration

 

I am once again joining Erika our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  She asks us to use the color red in our art.

This is the final day of this year's Chinese New Year celebration.  Normally I would create the entire festival at the same time, but I wanted to save the Lantern Festival

because I knew there would be red in this page that I could link to Erika's theme at Art Journal Journey

Once again I was having trouble getting my camera to focus on specific parts of the page.

After countless attempts (actually 96!), I gave up and cropped the page to show the lanterns.

I did the same at the bottom of the page, but when I did, the sentiment color turned pink.  I noticed the button on the right that I used as a Chinese coin had  shifted down the page a bit because of the glue I used on these (E6000).

Every year I create a CNY post, and every year I learn something new.  This year I read that the lantern festival is also considered the true Chinese Valentine's Day.  Sadly, my laser printer refuses to print apostrophes. 

I was gifted with a partial set of Chinese New Year's playing cards, so included the Jack in the spread.

While the background joss paper on the left has gray and orange/brown in addition to gold, the background joss paper on the right is restricted to brown and gold.  The Chinese calendars are also considered joss paper.  The lanterns are German scrap and the "coins" are buttons with their loops removed using needle nose pliers.  This two page spread was created in my Stress-free altered book.

Bleubeard and I feel honored you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own take on the color Red.
 

 

13 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another fun take - thank you.

Iris Flavia said...

Good idea to not squeeze it all in one post!
Here they don´t celebrate, but we joined in Perth, Western Australia. Such joy and fun!
Great pages, happy Valentines!

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun to learn a new fact. I didn't know that the Lantern Festival was the Chinese Valentine's Day.

Jenn Jilks said...

I miss the Chinese New Year festivities we used to have in Toronto. Of course, it's the Lunar New Year for those from other Asian countries. It is such a rich, colourful festival!

My name is Erika. said...

I didn't do anything for Chinese New Year this year, which I usually do because it is fun to make pages with an Asian flare. That is one cool playing card you added. And I see you used more of those great cold lanterns too. And I didn't know that the lantern festival was like Chinese Valentine's day. That is also interesting. As CJ mentioned, thanks for teaching me something new. Have a great rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

Oh and I forgot to say thanks for linking up this page to AJJ. I really like it and it's perfect for Seeing Red.

Divers and Sundry said...

New to me.

I like those cool coins.

Christine said...

Lovely!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

these are excellent, great pages!!!!
Hae beautiful new week, hug Elke

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely pages :)

All the best Jan

Mia said...

Your pages are super, Elizabeth.
And I really love that you used the playing card.
Hugs, my friend.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is a fabulous page. I love these colours. Once again you are educating me Elizabeth. Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

What a great idea to link the Chinese New Year with the red for Erika's theme at Art Journal Journey.
This has made for a lovely colourful and informative pair of pages and I have loved looking.
Hugs, Neet xxx